Favourite Ever Cov City Player ? (1 Viewer)

Hoofhearted

Big Cyrille Regis for me, they say never meet your heroes they will only disappoint you, utter bull shit in this case, met him, spoke to him and he became even more of a hero. Genuine great guy, sadly missed! Also met Snoz a couple of times, chatted with him about City and u can see the genuine love of the Sky Blues, a real fan as well as a legend..... As a kid I always really liked David "Shirley" Smith, I always attempted to take corners or cross a ball like him!!!

oscillatewildly

Brian Borrows for me (y)
Same here. In fact I'm sure I've mentioned this in the past on other threads. Bolstered largely by the fact RB was the position I predominantly played during my Sunday League 'career' (altho later I would be bullied into taking up the LB berth owing to my 'ability' in being the only bloke in the team able to reasonably kick a football with his left foot)
Longevity of mainly excellent service (him not me) and the shit luck of missing out on the cup final all add up to make my decision.
Still see him occasionally down Memorial Park, walking his dogs.
Had a brief chat with him a few years back after a charity game at BPA featuring members of both 1987 cup final teams.
Over the years I've gradually been getting autographs on the cup final programme (Finally got Clive Allen) I didn't know if it would be a sore point for Bugsy so I asked if he wouldn't mind. He was more than happy to and even queried, "If you want me to".

AOM

Darren Huckerby, Aron Gunnarsson and Fankaty Dabo

Honourable mention to Michael Doyle (mainly for that league 2 season)

oscillatewildly

Peter Ndlovu for me. He was the first player I ever really idolised as a kid. Also, my first ever kits were the sky blue pony kit and the purple and yellow away kit. So this is my favourite ever away kit and player all rolled in to one
a9c77dd2d2a05fc1ecdfbd2486f7a5ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
I know he was slight in build but the the baggy 'fit' that was the norm for footy shirts around this period was dreadful.
I mean, even the fucking sleeves!
Wonderful player tho. Regardless of what he wore.

Ring Of Steel

Same here. In fact I'm sure I've mentioned this in the past on other threads. Bolstered largely by the fact RB was the position I predominantly played during my Sunday League 'career' (altho later I would be bullied into taking up the LB berth owing to my 'ability' in being the only bloke in the team able to reasonably kick a football with his left foot)
Longevity of mainly excellent service (him not me) and the shit luck of missing out on the cup final all add up to make my decision.
Still see him occasionally down Memorial Park, walking his dogs.
Had a brief chat with him a few years back after a charity game at BPA featuring members of both 1987 cup final teams.
Over the years I've gradually been getting autographs on the cup final programme (Finally got Clive Allen) I didn't know if it would be a sore point for Bugsy so I asked if he wouldn't mind. He was more than happy to and even queried, "If you want me to".

great to read that.

I remember one game in '86 when we lost 3-1 at home to West Ham, and Oggy hoofed the ball straight out on the Main Stand side, or thats what the whole ground thought before Borrows somehow controlled it in mid air & brought it under control, everyone applauded him & that always stuck with me. Also a goal at Villa when he cut inside and curled it brilliantly. Then in '94 when we played Forest & Collymore was hyped beyond belief & scoring goals, we had all centre halves out so Borrows played there at well over 30, and he never gave Collymore a sniff. I only ever saw one player give him the runaround and that was Ian Ormondroyd of all people at Villa Park, he was the very definition of 'dependable', but with some serious skill too. He's my number one for sure.

Is he still connected to the game somehow?

Ring Of Steel

I know he was slight in build but the the baggy 'fit' that was the norm for footy shirts around this period was dreadful.
I mean, even the fucking sleeves!
Wonderful player tho. Regardless of what he wore.

Met him once in the Pink Parrot where he was drinking champagne surrounded by women- drunkenly asked him to please score against Leicester the coming weekend and that I was in the East Stand- he did score right near the end and saluted the East Stand- he wouldn't have remembered our 60 second "chat" of course but I always told myself that his salute was directed at me

bringbackrattles

As a wide eyed 6 year old taken to Highfield Road by my dad in 1960 my first hero was Ron Hewitt but my all time favourite has to be the magician that was Ian Gibson. I had the pleasure of meeting Gibbo at an open day at Highfield Road and was in absolute awe.
You started going same time as me. My dad no longer with us was a big fan of Ray Straw if I recall ? I remember Hewitt and yes Ian Gibson was some player. A goal he scored against Cardiff City at Highfield Road was one of the best I've seen, an absolute screamer.

oscillatewildly

great to read that.

I remember one game in '86 when we lost 3-1 at home to West Ham, and Oggy hoofed the ball straight out on the Main Stand side, or thats what the whole ground thought before Borrows somehow controlled it in mid air & brought it under control, everyone applauded him & that always stuck with me. Also a goal at Villa when he cut inside and curled it brilliantly. Then in '94 when we played Forest & Collymore was hyped beyond belief & scoring goals, we had all centre halves out so Borrows played there at well over 30, and he never gave Collymore a sniff. I only ever saw one player give him the runaround and that was Ian Ormondroyd of all people at Villa Park, he was the very definition of 'dependable', but with some serious skill too. He's my number one for sure.

Is he still connected to the game somehow?
I'm really not sure if he is or not.

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

You started going same time as me. My dad no longer with us was a big fan of Ray Straw if I recall ? I remember Hewitt and yes Ian Gibson was some player. A goal he scored against Cardiff City at Highfield Road was one of the best I've seen, an absolute screamer.
I’ve many great memories of those days, my dad also no longer with us was responsible for starting my lifetime love affair with the bantams (the days before we became the skyblues). The smell of pipe smoke and the stamping of feet on the wooden floor of the old main stand. My favourites of that era were Hewitt, Myerscough and Imlach, they were great days but the appointment of Jimmy Hill took us to another level.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
As a loan player, (from Liverpool), I have to say my favourite loanee was Steve Warnock. With us for about a full season in 2003, and I'll always remember him never giving up on anything. He just ran and ran. He made a great impact on the team around him. So sad to see him eventually leave us.

bringbackrattles

I’ve many great memories of those days, my dad also no longer with us was responsible for starting my lifetime love affair with the bantams (the days before we became the skyblues). The smell of pipe smoke and the stamping of feet on the wooden floor of the old main stand. My favourites of that era were Hewitt, Myerscough and Imlach, they were great days but the appointment of Jimmy Hill took us to another level.
I bet as a young kid like me you were sat on the touchline watching us beat Wolves, in the crowd of 51,000 ? Kept running on the pitch and at the end hearing that deafening roar as the final whistle went !

bringbackrattles

As a loan player, (from Liverpool), I have to say my favourite loanee was Steve Warnock. With us for about a full season in 2003, and I'll always remember him never giving up on anything. He just ran and ran. He made a great impact on the team around him. So sad to see him eventually leave us.
He's a top pundit on tv and radio these days if it's the same one ?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I bet as a young kid like me you were sat on the touchline watching us beat Wolves, in the crowd of 51,000 ? Kept running on the pitch and at the end hearing that deafening roar as the final whistle went !
I was there! What an atmosphere! I was sat on the touchline by the white wall that ran along the Spion Kop. Amazing game!

Grendel

steve livingstone ?. The guy who scored the same amount of goals for us as Kevin Kyle ?

He scored 15 goals versus 5 from Kyle

bringbackrattles

I was there! What an atmosphere! I was sat on the touchline by the white wall that ran along the Spion Kop. Amazing game!
Ernie Machin was a favourite player of mine. And what a shock I got when I ended up cleaning his windows when he was living on the Ansty Road. Smashing bloke and so modest about his football career, but the first time I spoke to him I was a bit in awe to be honest. Anyway i got to know him and his partner fairly well over the months as I cleaned their windows regularly. But what saddened me was the time his missus said could I clean the gutters as they were full. I said no problem as long as Ernie sorts me out a couple of tickets to a match, take it as payment ? He told me he wish he could but the club gave him nothing at all ! I was gobsmacked as he was a legend and he got absolutely sod all. Great bloke by the way and sadly missed.

cc84cov

Thought about it Dublin for me kept us up year after year with his goals gutted when he left.

That goal against Newcastle against shay Give a good memory.

Blind-Faith

You mentioning this, I forgot how much I loved Richie Partridge! He’s my favourite loanee

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

I certainly was, the game described as the Midlands game of the century and in my opinion the most memorable league game in our history. Arrived at the ground midday in an attempt to get a position at the front on the wall. As the congestion built up us young kids were passed over the heads of the crowd and I found myself next to the goalposts at the Kop end. Like you on the pitch when the first two goals were scored, referee then threatened to abandon the game and nobody moved when we scored the third. What a day, lives long in my memory, will never be beaten.

CJ_covblaze

Nilsson or Ndlovu.

bringbackrattles

I certainly was, the game described as the Midlands game of the century and in my opinion the most memorable league game in our history. Arrived at the ground midday in an attempt to get a position at the front on the wall. As the congestion built up us young kids were passed over the heads of the crowd and I found myself next to the goalposts at the Kop end. Like you on the pitch when the first two goals were scored, referee then threatened to abandon the game and nobody moved when we scored the third. What a day, lives long in my memory, will never be beaten.
I played football for the school in the morning and a few of us went then to Highfield Road. My dad got locked outside the ground with thousands more, but we got in no problem. Sat right behind the goal at the covered end which later on became the West End. What a view we had. My dad was gutted as he never missed a game all season !

Bernie Rhodes Nose

I remember we played villa away and Hunt was playing for them (2nd spell) and there was some Eastern European fella who just kept singing

we hate Stevie hunt
he's a c**t, he's a c**t

all the way through the game.
Philli
I remember we played villa away and Hunt was playing for them (2nd spell) and there was some Eastern European fella who just kept singing

we hate Stevie hunt
he's a c**t, he's a c**t

all the way through the game.
Philistine!!!

TTG

Fankaty dabo - he's so versatile...

Reactions: AOM

Users who are viewing this thread