FIFA....again (1 Viewer)

Covstu

So with the confirmation from Blatter that the world cups were effectively rigged, the UK have lost about £25m on the bid that was never going to win but equally (and more importantly) should the world cup remain in Russia?

They are saying they were not aware of this (BS of course) but how can we continue to allow this to continue. I think unfortunately time will run out and Russia will continue but its just not right is it?

I would love to see a european boycott of this world cup, us (England) alone would not suffice as it would just be as if we didnt qualify but all the major european teams would make a real statement.

chiefdave

I can certainly see there being legal action to recover bid costs.

Personally I think it should be moved but we're getting tight on time for another bidding process.

Maybe a solution would be to share it between the other bidding counties (Belgium, Netherlands, England, Portugal and Spain). Sure there would be enough stadiums of a high standard for that to be possible at relatively short notice.

Captain Dart

Well if the rhetoric over Syria continues a boycott of the States & their lapdog (us) is plausible. After all there was a Moscow Olympics that had a bit of a boycott over Afghanistan I think. Pure hypocrisy though.

Covstu

I can certainly see there being legal action to recover bid costs.

Personally I think it should be moved but we're getting tight on time for another bidding process.

Maybe a solution would be to share it between the other bidding counties (Belgium, Netherlands, England, Portugal and Spain). Sure there would be enough stadiums of a high standard for that to be possible at relatively short notice.

Makes sense but then start a legal battle from Russian FA against FIFA for removing it. I think us and Spain could take the tournament comfortably on our own but i am waiting for more associations to be dragged into this bribary one, Franz isnt looking too good at the moment but how many more votes have been traded for money. This will take decades to fully unravel but it just needs to complete clean break. Then there is qatar to deal with........ how do you trade people's lives for building stadia?

Gazolba

It's corrupt organization from top to bottom. Corruption is an endemic part of the culture in many of the countries that FIFA operates. Probably best to disband the entire organization and start again.

Terry Gibson's perm

How it has come to be in Russia is wrong but I think I would leave it there now Mr Putin is an angry enough chap plus most of the grounds must be nearing completion , Qatar I would remove this one as it destroys the football calendar and the loss of human life there is not acceptable.

I look at the group of hopefuls at FIFA and you can't say it fills you with confidence that things will get much better.

Johnnythespider

I think this is Blatter trying to get the yanks off his back. He will be hoping that Qatar will now lose the 2022 tournament and the U.S will be awarded it and leave him out of their investigation

Gazolba

I'll find you a 100% honest candidate for the FIFA job, someone absolutely beyond reproach and guaranteed to be totally fair in all dealings. Just send me half a dozen gold Rolex watches in a brown paper wrapper.

Covstu

I wonder if our own FA at some point been involved or persuaded to vote one way. I remember the incident with the so called sponsorships putting expensive watches in the goodie bags for events but I just hope we haven't gone that step further

Terry Gibson's perm

I wonder if our own FA at some point been involved or persuaded to vote one way. I remember the incident with the so called sponsorships putting expensive watches in the goodie bags for events but I just hope we haven't gone that step further

I would imagine at various points they will have traded votes, our fa are useless as well I can't see why they backed the horrible Platini.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think this is Blatter trying to get the yanks off his back. He will be hoping that Qatar will now lose the 2022 tournament and the U.S will be awarded it and leave him out of their investigation

He might be trying to do that but it won't work the only way he will get away with it is if he to old to go to trial or dies first, the USA have blown FIFA apart and now want the top men, I bet they wish they had given them the World Cup now.

Sick Boy

Fine line of gifts and bribery isn't there...

Why should the FA be different than others? It's naive to believe that it didn't get involved and that somehow being English means they would never do that sort of thing.

fernandopartridge

Why should the FA be different than others? It's naive to believe that it didn't get involved and that somehow being English means they would never do that sort of thing.
Agreed. All football authorities are driven by corporate commercial interests. The FA sold the English game out over 20 years ago. UEFA ruined European competition at the same time.

J

Jack Griffin

They are coming to get you.

CVU2FM5UYAEc1Vg.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34991874

Terry Gibson's perm

Is there anybody left there steering the ship, the money that has been moved around is mind blowing.

J

Jack Griffin

Panorama, 8:30 on Monday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tkl9d

Fifa, Sepp Blatter and Me
Panorama

Reporter Andrew Jennings has been investigating corruption in world football for the past 15 years. He has exposed the criminality of Fifa executives and repeatedly challenged its president to come clean.

Now with football in crisis, Andrew is once again back on the road investigating Sepp Blatter's Fifa. His reports includes an insight into an FBI investigation, puts a figure on what Qatar supposedly spent to secure the 2022 World Cup and promises fresh evidence that Sepp Blatter has known about corruption all along.

Andrew Das ‏@AndrewDasNYT 2 hours ago

DOJ says convicted defendants have agreed to repay $190M. A separate $100M-plus has been frozen in US and abroad. That's a TON of money.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDasNYT

mechaishida

I think even the interim guy has a history. Rotten to the core

Anyone they put in the hotseat is bound to be as reliable and honest as a plumber's estimate.

See, personally, the FIFA corruption points to more corruption perpetrated at domestic level too. I'm not up to date with any developments per say, but I'd wager a fair sum that the FIFA investigations will precipitate into domestic association football too.

CJ_covblaze

16 of the 22 on the Exsec Committee that voted for Russia and Qatar have either been arrested or found guilty recently of corruption/fraud/bribery/money laundering. The 6 that haven't aren't all squeaky clean either. 1 was once sacked from a role elsewhere for claiming for 97 breakfasts during a 20 day business trip!

Both World Cups should be taken to a re-vote. How the original decisions still hold any merit I don't know.

chiefdave

Both World Cups should be taken to a re-vote. How the original decisions still hold any merit I don't know.

There's enough time to completely redo the process for Quatar. For Russia its getting tighter on time. I'd be tempted to have a co-hosted World Cup split between the other bidders, not like travel around Europe will be a problem.

CJ_covblaze

There's enough time to completely redo the process for Quatar. For Russia its getting tighter on time. I'd be tempted to have a co-hosted World Cup split between the other bidders, not like travel around Europe will be a problem.

Be the same as what they're doing for the Euros. Would be a crap tournament but at least it's gone to those that deserve it. The human rights issues should be enough to move it let alone how it was awarded in the first place.

martcov

Do some Qataris fund ISIS? That would be enough for me to give Qatar an ultimatum: stop your people sending money to dodgy religious charities or leaders or we are dropping you like a stone. It would be ironic if football fans indirectly end up financing people who want to blow themselves up in football stadiums. That is in addition to taking them to task on corruption, climate, labour conditions and human rights issues. The list of reasons for not being there is long in comparison to why we should be going. I cannot think of a reason to be going except it has never taken place in an Arab country before, but with what is going on in the Arab world, that too doesn't seem like a convincing argument.

Terry Gibson's perm

16 of the 22 on the Exsec Committee that voted for Russia and Qatar have either been arrested or found guilty recently of corruption/fraud/bribery/money laundering. The 6 that haven't aren't all squeaky clean either. 1 was once sacked from a role elsewhere for claiming for 97 breakfasts during a 20 day business trip!

You can't sack someone because they were a little bit peckish:whistle:

Captain Dart

Gazolba

Why not just put all the countries that want to host the WC in a hat and draw one out. Costs absolutely nothing, and no chance of corruption. Of course you have to examine the rest of the balls afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread