First CCFC games. (1 Viewer)

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Mine was not too long ago. But it was when Luton were in the championship. My dad took me because he had two free tickets, although he hates football.

The game ended 1-0 to Cov but I can't remember who scored (Adebola I think).
I've been hooked ever since & it is my 3rd season ticket next season, although I won't be getting one for the following 4 seasons after that because of Uni.

When were you 1st games?

Dan Griffin

Coventry 1-2 Burnley in 2008, all i remember is seeing akinbyi? With a White bandage around his head and heading into the top corner and the burnley fans running across the south stand to our fans in block 15.

MatthewWallis

Off topic but isn't it scary how quickly a team (Luton) can fall.

Anyway I can't remember my first game exactly i think it was newcastle at home years ago but my earliest memory was when we beat Dagenham & Redbridge 8-0 in the cup

skybluejelly

coventry 5 chelsea 1 1978..went with my brothers mate who was a chelsea fan..had supported cov since we moved from london in 1976..

v Villa, 89 I think,

PhilWasn'tBabb

v Villa, 89 I think,

Arrrh a good year, my was QPR in the 88-89 season. I'll never forget the exhilaration of walking up the steps from under the stand and seeing the bright green pitch in front of me, it was such a contrast to everything around it... I'm getting all missy eyed just thinking about it.

I can't remember the score.. I think we lost 2-1 ..

ccfcdan

Pre-season friendly against some Belgian team called Racing club Genk. Walked up to Highfield Rd with my sister who was 6 at the time. Were now both season ticket holders :)
:wave:

barnsleyskyblue

1974 (i was seven),coventry 1 leicester1, remember me and my dad getting caught up in some trouble in the allyway at the back of the west end,"don't tell you'r mum, she want let us come again",god i miss highfield rd.:(

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
December 1968 Manchester City away. We lost 4 : 2 but great day out and I was hooked.... been trying to kick the habit ever since ;)

singers_pore

Cov vs Leicester at home in 1978. Leicester were near the bottom of the table at the time and I was standing on the old kop. I distinctly remember the goal which was scored by Don Nardiello who had a bandaged arm.

The Reverend Skyblue

My dad started taking me way back in 1970 and i have'nt a clue who it was,and as my much treasured father is no longer with us i can't ask him,but i owe it to him for the many enjoyable seasons i've watched the skyblues,including the many great escapes we've had, and the one or two decent seasons as well when it was very much fortress Highfield Road,when all the big and little teams dreaded an away game there.
The one glorious day in My 1987 makes everything i've gone through worth every minute

The Rev

Marty

my first game was early 90's, I was only 4 or 5 at the time and was building sand castles at the side of the pitch with cups an stuff. Didn't really watch the game as i wasn't intrested at the time, then my next game when i was about 8 or 9, mid 90's was sat up in the family stand was a night match and dion got a double against Man city. won 2-1. I remember they were giving out Yorkie bars at the back of the family stand and people were grabbing whole boxes of them and running off. :D Had a ST ever since, up to about 14 years in a row now. :pimp:

bamalamafizzfazz

I always thought it was Q.P.R but I asked my old man who is not into football at all and he says it was Oldham. He said we went for free with the school. It was his first and last ever live game of football. He said we drew 1-1 so I had a look at scores back then and it appears to be one of two dates either,

1991/1992Sat 21 MarCoventry City1 - 1Oldham Ath.First Division

or

1993/1994Sat 18 DecCoventry City1 - 1Oldham Ath.Premiership

I think it was most likely the later one but have my doubts as this would probably be in the christmas holidays.

AngryAnt

Earliest memory at Highfield was eating a packed lunch at about the age of five.. Can't remember what game it was.
After that most are a blur (away at chelski, home to whoever) untill away at Spurs, last game of the season where the whole second tier was rocking and i swear the ground was actually bouncing too.
I was about 8 or 9 at the time and taken down to the pitch by a spurs official to meet the players as they came out.

TheOldFive

Was a broken arm. Played with a pot on, like the Dutch Lad in the World Cup final of the same year. Don was an incredibly nice lad, played guitar at Church, taught Sunday School locally - how times have changed eh?

Macca

A 3 0 defeat by forest in79. Enjoyed 80 s more than anything, always struggled but always exciting. Obviously the cup final greatest day but notable mentions for beating the great liverpool side 4 0 in 83 and winning our last 3 games in 85 to stay up

TheOldFive

Can't remember much about my first game, was definitely in the pre-eggtimer admiral kit and Mick Coop was playing. Most of all I remember Tommy Hutchinson, whenever he got the ball the crowd just buzzed, anyone in seats was out of them, don't think I saw again till the late eighties when Dave Bennett skinned his full back and got to the by line EVERY TIME for a couple of seasons. Time for another one I think.

Last edited:

Macca

Can't remember much about my first game, was definitely in the pre-eggtimer admiral kit and Mick Coop was playing. Most of all I remember Mick Hutchinson, whenever he got the ball the crowd just buzzed, anyone in seats was out of them, don't think I saw again till the late eighties when Dave Bennett skinned his full back and got to the by line EVERY TIME for a couple of seasons. Time for another one I think.
Really miss wing play. David smith got loads of stick but have got lots of old videos and he created bags of goals. Kev gallagher too

Sky_Blue_Daz

At home to Southahmpton 84/85 I was sat in the west end with my dad and 2 older brothers caught the ball in the west end and threw it to a bald southampton fella, cant remember his name

BurbageSkyBlues

Not sure of the year, circa 1968. We drew 0-0 at home to WBA. My gramp, who was a rugby man, took my brother and I to our (& his) first ever football match.

It was a shocker, don't think there was a shot at goal from either side!

Needless to say, gramps never went again, he stuck to Coundon road and Coventry rugby club, who were the best in the land over the following decade

Disorganised1

Thals to thesnoz I now know my first game was this one. Shrewsbury. Oct 22, 1963. Ronnie Rees hat trick. Over 27,000 there - City won 8 - 1

tippex9

Around 79/80 for me, definitely at home to Derby sat in West Stand and we either won 2-0 or 2-1. I think Ian Wallace scored. I'm gonna have to check out the history and find out.

Second game was West Ham league cup semi final, my uncle took me home early at 2-1 down, heard two goals on car radio driving around ring-road as we nicked it 3-2.. That's why I NEVER leave before the final whistle now.

CovisGod

Cov v Spurs 1-0 win, Ndlovu pen, 95 I beleive. Loved it and went to every game the following season without a season ticket (doh !)

stevo_ccfc

1997 1st March Old Trafford

Man United 3 Coventry 1
Huckerby scored at the end in front of us, breen scored an own goal after 5 minutes and another minutes later.

Users who are viewing this thread