Fisher: Butts Park Arena is our preffered option (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

The parking argument is bogus though. There are other larger city centre grounds (think 55,000 at St James Park, 32,000 at Bramall Lane, 80,000 in Cardiff). Look at aerial views of St James Park and see how much on site parking there is.

I read something once about Newcastle, it was a study about how people got to the game. Can't find it now which is annoying, but it basically said that 30% or thereabouts travel to the game by car - and there is an average 2.5 people per car. At BPA, for a full house that would translate to 3000 cars, but they wouldn't be concentrated around the stadium area - they would be dispersed and many would use city centre car parks. There would also be businesses, schools etc who would cash in by opening car parks - and there would also be some street parking.

A city centre ground is by default close to the main train station, it is by default on every bus route in the city. There would be park and ride, coach services from outlying areas, and let's not forget, the ground would be within walking distance of many residential areas including Earlsdon, Spon End, parts of Coundon, Radford, Cheylesmore, Hillfields etc. Traffic could also disperse easily, because by using city centre parking those people would enter and exit the city centre via the 9 different ring road exits. I just don't see how it would an issue at all.
Park and ride at the Memorial Park too. Don't forget the Emirates or Stamford Bridge, virtually no parking at either.

theferret

How does this help CCFC they are dissatisfied with 3K they get from Ricoh parking, they will get bugger all extra from the 100 or so spaces that might be squeezed onto the Butts site.

There is always a contradiction at the heart of SISU's arguments.

I think that point was point to them and they basically said what they would sacrifice in parking revenue would be eclipsed by income from revenue streams that would open up (income that will never be available to them as it stands). They are only dissatisfied because it is currently one of the only revenue streams open to them and they would therefore need to maximise that if they were to stay at the Ricoh.

theferret

He's a bullshitter

Not sure there's any mystery here. The deal that was being negotiated was a 25 year deal on improved terms for the football club. I am sure the option to extend on a rolling basis under the current terms is there. Unless we think Wasps would actually kick us out?

On a completely different note - I see you are a HC affiliate. Done alright out of that myself over the years!

Nick

Administrator
Not sure there's any mystery here. The deal that was being negotiated was a 25 year deal on improved terms for the football club. I am sure the option to extend on a rolling basis under the current terms is there. Unless we think Wasps would actually kick us out?

On a completely different note - I see you are a HC affiliate. Done alright out of that myself over the years!

Might be worth making a thread, the hotel sites never paid off for me. Too much hassle!

theferret

Might be worth making a thread, the hotel sites never paid off for me. Too much hassle!

All the hassle is in the beginning. Once up a running it is maintenance free pretty much. The website don't do much, but the app does all right. Get about £600 a month now, which is pretty good for doing jack shit!

Nick

Administrator
All the hassle is in the beginning. Once up a running it is maintenance free pretty much. The website don't do much, but the app does all right. Get about £600 a month now, which is pretty good for doing jack shit!
Ah I never bothered learning how to make apps!

anyway, back on topic :)

Grendel

Calista

Coventry City chairman Tim Fisher has told supporters the club has identified a site outside Coventry for a possible new stadium and Academy base.
Mr Fisher stressed the option was only a back-up and that club officials preferred a potential ground share with Coventry Rugby Club at Butts Park Arena when he made the revelation during a Supporters’ Consultative Group meeting last week.
He also said the club still retained hope that a long term deal could be agreed at the Ricoh Arena.

It gets more and more confusing. We are now being told that we are pursuing three completely different options. Two of them (including the preferred one) don’t even solve the apparent problem which is that “we must own a stadium”. The third one would involve buying development land on the outskirts of the city - and if I’m not mistaken the last time we tried (for the site near Ryton), Mr. Fisher was stunned to be outbid by people who were actually willing to pay the market price.

I’d be happy to go with any of the options, if they were done properly and secured the future of the club. But sadly, I’m not sure that I can trust a word of it.

Chipfat

I cant believe we are still debating about building a stadium or developing BPA. Sisu have countered with New build, new land, talks for planning permission, every time they slip further down the shit stick they are on. They have no money, backers, desire or the time to do this, they want a settlement through a court case to be able to move on with at least 1 win under their belt.

I'm no fan of any of the parties who has been involved in this Circus, but if i'm honest Sisu have picked a fight they cannot win, and unless they stop going to court, we will lose badly. The club is suffering everyday and the only truth or fact is all other parties apart from Sisu are acting on the statements they make, and are doing it knowing they are in it together and are on safe ground. Sisu are now on their own, but continue in the same manner, we have seen artist drawings of a new ground 2 years ago, we have been told we were within 3 weeks from buying land a year ago and heard threat's to every man and his dog they batter people in court to whoever stand's in their way.

Sadly the only thing they have said and completed in the 9 years of being here, was to move away from the city, which will turn out to be the biggest and worst mistake they made. Its hard to claim your now being pushed out, when you are the party that first walked away. And now TF is saying the back up plan is to move away again, i don't believe him and i don't think Wasps, CCC and others think any different. Sisu use the move away card whenever they are pushed, they have held the same hand for 5 years in a game where every else around the table gets stronger hands and joins together to get these to fold.

Not great for the club is it? but no matter if you agree or not at why we are here now, the facts are Sisu have the worst hand at the table, but are playing like they have the best while thinking they are still invited to play.

Last edited:

rupert_bear

Well said chipfat, I can't believe there are people on here who really believe a new ground will happen and BPA is a possibility, I suggest those who believe it might happen go and look at the site. It would struggle to cope with 5000 let alone between 15 and 25k and there's even talk of extending that if by some miracle we did a "Leicester" Unfortunately football fans are a much different breed to rugby behaviour wise.

Otis

Well said chipfat, I can't believe there are people on here who really believe a new ground will happen and BPA is a possibility, I suggest those who believe it might happen go and look at the site. It would struggle to cope with 5000 let alone between 15 and 25 and there's even talk of extending that if we did a "Leicester" Unfortunately football fans are a much different breed to rugby behaviour wise.

Well that will be the perception of many for sure. Rugby is okay, but we don't want those oikey, chavvy, hooligan types round here.

Kind of get the feeling that Sisu want CRFC to plan and build everything and then we can just jump on their petticoat tails.

Let's face it, think you would struggle to find one single fan who truly trusts Sisu to do anything they say they are going to do, Northampton apart.

theferret

Well said chipfat, I can't believe there are people on here who really believe a new ground will happen and BPA is a possibility, I suggest those who believe it might happen go and look at the site. It would struggle to cope with 5000 let alone between 15 and 25k and there's even talk of extending that if by some miracle we did a "Leicester" Unfortunately football fans are a much different breed to rugby behaviour wise.

It is a possibility. You have a startling lack of imagination. You do realise it already has planning permission for 13,000 don't you? You do you know the FL have approved it and are open to the idea of rack seating or safe standing? You do know that architects have already confirmed that a stadium for 25,000 can be accommodated?

Of course there are challenges, and they may too difficult to overcome, but it is the rugby club who are leading this, and it is they who would submit a planning application. Go and tell the rugby club they are idiots if it makes you feel better, meanwhile the rest of us will remain cautiously optimistic until we have good reason not to be.

Kingokings204

Spot on. With chip fat. We had a real chance 4 years ago and it would of been pretty much built by now if it was serious of course.

Peoples hate of wasps and the Ricoh and ccc obstruct the fact that under sisu and while they own the club we all love nothing is going to happen and we are going to get more and more hurt. Sisu are hurting us everyday and whilst they are trying to make amends and do things right they are fighting a losing battle.

We will never build a new stadium with them at the helm and that's the end of it. It's why time and time again I keep saying we need to stay at the Ricoh. It's our only option. Sad as that sounds it's true.

New owners are the only thing that will change things. Just the same as was the case 4 years ago. Look at the fans who won't come back until they go. (Strange as some are) I don't agree with them as we play in Coventry but instead of hurling abuse at the nopm brigade think about why they feel like this. The common theme is sisu.

Sisu and their investors simply don't have either the time the money, the desire and or the effort. It won't happen.

As for wasps and ccc they are obviously in cahoots and have screwed the club over but call it what you want and we will all suffer they have outplayed sisu at every turn. It's been men and against boys. Wasps and ccc are going all out for things to happen and putting money where their mouth is. Sisu are just going through the motions of court action because there is nothing better to do. No serious plans just court action. Shame really. Why don't we attack the fuckers with a new stadium and academy and fuck them off but we can't. There isn't their desire and or money. They want a quick pay out and go.

Sorry we can't win as things stand. I still have hope but unless sisu go or drop the legal action or invest heavily which are 3 possible solutions I fear we will do none of them.

theferret

so they have identified a stadium and academy site outside the city, their preferred option is the butts arena, but remain hopeful that they can stay at the Ricoh

why would wasps, CCC or CRFC believe any of It, if we cant actually commit to making one option work.

It's like an episode of Scooby Do on here - people inventing mysteries when there are none.

How can they commit to BPA when feasibility studies are still on-going? They have already said this was leaked to the media way before they wanted it to. All they have said since is that there is another possible site but they also can't rule that a Ricoh deal. Which one would you like them to rule out at this point? The back-up site, even though they don't know for sure if BPA is feasible? The Ricoh, when the negotiations there were ended by the other side who have also said nothing is certain? Which one should they settle on with all those uncertainties.

You CAN criticise them for the inaction over recent years - we should be on a single course of action already by now, but it didn't happen, and in the here and now it does feel like things are finally coming to a head one way or another.

ccfcway

It's like an episode of Scooby Do on here - people inventing mysteries when there are none.

How can they commit to BPA when feasibility studies are still on-going? They have already said this was leaked to the media way before they wanted it to. All they have said since is that there is another possible site but they also can't rule that a Ricoh deal. Which one would you like them to rule out at this point? The back-up site, even though they don't know for sure if BPA is feasible? The Ricoh, when the negotiations there were ended by the other side who have also said nothing is certain? Which one should they settle on with all those uncertainties.

You CAN criticise them for the inaction over recent years - we should be on a single course of action already by now, but it didn't happen, and in the here and now it does feel like things are finally coming to a head one way or another.

yer, you will need to ask Fisher.....

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-chairman-tim-fisher-11422382

wingy

I think the Invention is primarily in the mind of Mr Fisher followed by his worthless outpourings.

Users who are viewing this thread