Fixture pile-up. Eight games in March. (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

And so it begins. The 'home' game against Walsall is now on Weds 5th March.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ews/sky-blues-fixture-wrangle-walsall-6684034

Doesn't look like SP will be very happy about this or that it helps the play-off push. Given there are already problems with the Sixfields pitch, you wonder how much more of this there will be to come...

Did you even read the article?

Sounds to me like Pressley was more than happy to have it in March, Dean Smith pushed to get it in February but Pressley didn't agree to it

covcity4life

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ews/sky-blues-fixture-wrangle-walsall-6684034

Doesn't look like SP will be very happy about this or that it helps the play-off push. Given there are already problems with the Sixfields pitch, you wonder how much more of this there will be to come...

ahah read the article next time before you try make it anti sisu

well done FL,still our bitches hehe

NOW BRING US HOME

torchomatic

Wrong, it's Smith who's not happy. You put the word home in quotes though so your post isn't entirely wasted.

CJ_covblaze

Same night as England v Denmark.

The Gentleman

Did you even read the article?

Sounds to me like Pressley was more than happy to have it in March, Dean Smith pushed to get it in February but Pressley didn't agree to it

Where did it say that Pressley was more than happy? From what I read it looks like we are going to have U21's in the main squad because of how paper thin it is and they need game time to be ready. Do you really think that Pressley will be happy to have at least 8 games in one month with an already thread bare squad?

covcity4life

he clearly states he wants u21 game to go ahead on tuesday 11th so cannot have a game played then

whilst hes not super happy he has got his wish of the 2 options

The Gentleman

ahah read the article next time before you try make it anti sisu

well done FL,still our bitches hehe

NOW BRING US HOME

Just point out again for us where in Duffer's post he makes it anti-Sisu? I think he makes a good point because due to the weather the way it is and with more to come, Sixfields will not be the only pitch to be bad and if a few more grounds are out of action it really could cause a fixture pile up. Even a very well equipped squad would not relish a fixture pile up so why would Pressley?

hill83

17 pages.
4 bans.
3 Sisu rent boys.
2 whistles on a hill.
1 closed thread.

chiefdave

well if its Elvis that decided it's a good thing then we'll have to go with that but 8 games in 27 days seems a lot to me especially with our squad size. Players won't have much time to recover from little niggles. Would have made more sense to me to play it in Feb and either cancel or move (location or date) the U21 game but that's probably why I'm not a manager!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Where did it say that Pressley was more than happy? From what I read it looks like we are going to have U21's in the main squad because of how paper thin it is and they need game time to be ready. Do you really think that Pressley will be happy to have at least 8 games in one month with an already thread bare squad?

Obviously he would have liked it to been played when it was originally scheduled but it clearly states he preferred it to have been played in March than February.

Maybe Pressley believes by putting it off a few more weeks he can get more bodies in the squad in the loan window and Wilson will be coming back into the team around that date.

SkyBlueCharlie

well if its Elvis that decided it's a good thing then we'll have to go with that but 8 games in 27 days seems a lot to me especially with our squad size. Players won't have much time to recover from little niggles. Would have made more sense to me to play it in Feb and either cancel or move (location or date) the U21 game but that's probably why I'm not a manager!

Quite agree with that particularly as with the Walsall game on the 5th we will be playing 3 games in 6 days. The problem is once games get cancelled (and I think there will be a few more yet) the fixture build up will possibly have a negative impact on our small squad.

mds

The under 21 game is as important to us right now (match fitness) the same as Walsall having three hard games in a week including us is important to us and catching them.

covcity4life

SP isn't stupid, he knows march will be tough and that playing 8 games has draw backs

but he obviously believes having his top scorer back for the important 8 games is more worthwhile.

The Gentleman

SP isn't stupid, he knows march will be tough and that playing 8 games has draw backs

but he obviously believes having his top scorer back for the important 8 games is more worthwhile.

Talking from a footballing point of view, do you honestly expect Wilson to come back and hit the ground running and to pick up where he left off? I think we can credit Leon with some of Callum's development, he will need to get used to a new strike partner, get upto match fitness and overcome the hurdle in his head from the injury he sustained because this is twice now. Also, I think that after all the talk on this forum about being positive about the players and encouraging them, I wouldn't be thinking about putting too much pressure on him, he is only a kid don't forget.

covcity4life

what are you on about? SP clearly wanted the game in march and not feb

i am simply looking at possible reasons why, you are defending a shit OP just because you love arguing.

The Gentleman

i am simply looking at possible reasons why, you are defending a shit OP just because you love arguing.

I am talking about football on a football forum, sorry if that's not what you are looking for.

SkyBlueCharlie

Not me...the issue for me is the number of games we will have to play on what could be some really dreadful pitches. This is a potential problem that has concerned me for some time, I posted earlier on in the season on the possible detrimental effect the weather could have on a small squad at this time if the year and I still think that could be a real problem. However I do concur that as SP would obviously prefer March then who am I to argue!

Specs WT-R75

If we played Walsall next week and lost then it is pretty much season over. However if we go on a good run and play them with only a few points in it then losing is not as devastating.

Then there is the outside chance of Wilson back, but also the new players having some time to get settled in.

In fact I am surprised it wasn't moved to end of the season...

RoboCCFC90

Walsall will be in the same boat as us around this time so it levels the playing field in terms of stamina.

duffer

Nope - that's quite right, I misread it. Apologies.

SP got his way, and Saddlers lost out. Although I suspect we'd still rather play fixtures on their scheduled date than run the lottery of the FL re-arrangers.

As for the point though, the fixture backlog. That's going to hit us. You're kidding yourselves if you think it won't.

And it's likely to get worse - and there's only one reason we're suffering this.

And torchy, it is fucking 'home'. Only a knob would wouldn't use inverted commas when talking about Coventry playing 'home' games at Northampton.

RoboCCFC90

The thing is with March everyone is in the same boat really, I can see us being alright..

duffer

I'm obviously not the only person to misread the article, because there's nothing about having a top scorer back that I can see.

We've got a paper-thin squad. When fixtures get that congested there's no time to rest, and no scope for rotating players.

Anyone who does get injured will also miss more games than they would with a normal fixture list.

It might all pan out, but let's be honest, it's certainly another obstacle to cross.

torchomatic

IN another article SP is hoping to have Callum back for the Shrewsbury "home" game on the 2nd March.

I'm obviously not the only person to misread the article, because there's nothing about having a top scorer back that I can see.

We've got a paper-thin squad. When fixtures get that congested there's no time to rest, and no scope for rotating players.

Anyone who does get injured will also miss more games than they would with a normal fixture list.

It might all pan out, but let's be honest, it's certainly another obstacle to cross.

RoboCCFC90

Coventry City hope that Callum Wilson could be back in action by the time they take on Shrewsbury Town at Sixfields on March 2.

But Sky Blues boss Steven Pressley stressed that he won’t take any risks with his key striker who has been sidelined since dislocating his shoulder at Rotherham on New Year’s Day.

“Callum is progressing very well,” said Pressley. “I don’t want to say he’s ahead of schedule because that might put pressure on him or the physios but we hope he’ll be back in full training in a couple of weeks and then maybe be ready to play another week or ten days after that.

Users who are viewing this thread