Football League Rights: Sky win again! (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

http://www.football-league.co.uk/fo...-new-tv-deal_2293334_2331066/0,,10794,00.html

The Football League and Sky Sports have signed a new broadcasting agreement to run for three seasons from 2012/13.

The new deal, worth £195m, will see Sky Sports extend their unrivalled live coverage of the npower Football League, Carling Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy into 2015.

The League is also engaged in ongoing discussions with broadcasters regarding free-to-air match highlights.

Under the new agreement Sky Sports will broadcast, exclusively live, each season:

• 75 matches from across the npower Football League.
• The npower Football League Play-Offs - including all three Finals.
• 15 matches from the Carling Cup, including both legs of each Carling Cup semi-final and the Carling Cup Final from Wembley Stadium.
• The Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final and at least two matches from the preceding rounds.

Sky Sports will also broadcast highlights and clips of the npower Football League, Carling Cup & Johnstone's Paint Trophy. The agreement encompasses television, broadband internet, video-on-demand and mobile services.

So, no more live FL footy on the BBC then. Talks are still underway regarding FTA highlights on terrestrial channels.

Nick

Administrator
So it looks as if there will be no more highlights on the BBC online or a Football League show?

sternslovchild

The League is also engaged in ongoing discussions with broadcasters regarding free-to-air match highlights.

Still talking to BBC and ITV me thinks.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
How shit is that, they should of extended the free-to-air matches to one a week. Not that it bothers me as I'm not in the uk anyway!

The CableGuy

Still talking to BBC and ITV me thinks.

I can't see the Beeb getting the highlights, with all their spending cuts and paying for the move of BBC Sport to Salford (clearly, Coventry was the better option! :facepalm:).

That means.....ITV. Shoot me now, I bet they have Palace on every bloody week as their 'featured' game, they did last time they had the rights.

Nick

Administrator
I didn't watch it when ITV was on, it just means I will have to pay for the Sky Blues Player.

Wasn't it on a Sunday morning when it was on ITV?

The CableGuy

I didn't watch it when ITV was on, it just means I will have to pay for the Sky Blues Player.

Wasn't it on a Sunday morning when it was on ITV?

Yeah, for around 1.5 hours minus 20 minutes of adverts, so it was a real blink-and-you-miss-the-goals job. They actually missed a few goals as well. Later on they dropped the League 1 & 2 coverage altogether, cut back to 1 hour and focused on Crystal Pal-I mean, the Championship.

Boo I haven't even got the sky channels............... :( Apart from SkySportsNews

BBC: Given the current financial climate and the internal strategic review being carried out through Delivering Quality First, we were not in a position to be able to make a competitive bid for the Football League live TV broadcast rights. We look forward to continuing our coverage of the Football League to the end of the 2011-2012 season when our contract expires.

^^^ Translation: We're skint!

Coventry La La La

BBC: Given the current financial climate and the internal strategic review being carried out through Delivering Quality First, we were not in a position to be able to make a competitive bid for the Football League live TV broadcast rights. We look forward to continuing our coverage of the Football League to the end of the 2011-2012 season when our contract expires.

^^^ Translation: We're skint!

Cameron's Britain............ :censored:

Users who are viewing this thread