Football salaries (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Looking specifically at the disparity between [Manchester] United and Shrewsbury, who have moved from the old Second Division to the non-League and back to the third-tier since 1985-86, the wealth gap has become consistently bigger. [Manchester] United’s whole wage bill was £2.58m as recently as 1985-86, or 10 times bigger than Shrewsbury’s. That ratio was almost the same even 20 years ago.

But by 2005-06, [Manchester] United were paying almost 50 times as much in wages (£65m versus £1.4m) and today almost 100 times more (£210m versus £2.5m).

wingy

According to that Shrewsbury have a top 6-8 budget.
Society is sick to allow such greed, inequality, the celebration of individuals garnering such huge personal wealth.

NorthernWisdom

It's slightly disengenuous to include Shrewsbury as from the late 70s to mid 80s they were a second division club.

Nonetheless, it's the glass ceiling that comes in, that restricts entry.

It's also affecting players like Kent, who isn't game hardened and may have all the technical experience in the world, but really could do with a move to an ambitious second division club like, say, Huddersfield to progress as a player, before getting back into the big time.

As it is, there's a concentration of players at the big clubs (because why would you take a massive pay cut after all!) where it's better for them to stagnate in the reserves for a few years rather than actually play - and this affects the national team as well, not only the club system.

I don't blame the players at the top for taking the salaries (who wouldn't!) but I do blame the self interested owners for not realising sport is supposed to be about competition.

Problem is... this needs us as fans to look beyond self-interest, too.

ccfc92

dawkg.jpg

Thing is, half of their wages go to the taxman, so that's something to consider.

I do agree though, that they get paid too much.

Paxman II

...and when this new super contract with the TV rights kicks in next year what will happen then? Already their are grumblings about their level of pay. Lose 6-0 and yet post a pic of your super car and fans will react rightly so. It's all out of whack I'm afraid. Our Jimmy was legendary in getting the cap removed but it is different times now, and the in-balance must be addressed. On top of that these clubs don't even need their ticket money if the TV numbers are correct! So let the fans in for free.
I'd like to see some sense brought to it. Rooney is a millionaire every 4 weeks...how can that be right? No wonder he has turned down an offer from China that will pay him that weekly. He just doesn't need it!
As a sport is it any wonder why sometimes players get complacent and perform poorly from time to time? Perhaps more emphasis should be put on performance linked with pay?

But what level of pay would you think is fair?

skybluegod

While I am not justifying top level players pay, they don't exactly have an easy life... Many have young families that they get very little time with, with a 9 month season then often international commitments too?
Furthermore strict food, can't go out in public without being pestered, close control over social media, control over what they have to buy because of sponsors, Christmas largely away from family.
Any simple mistake you and I make daily can be picked on and exploded for footballers.
poor performances on the pitch can lead to threats off it including to families.
also think people have to look at what negative mental affects after football, a lot of players struggle with depression after retiring.

Yes what they earn is a lot more than it should be, but I think the common misconception that footballers have it easy is wrong

Sick Boy

While I am not justifying top level players pay, they don't exactly have an easy life... Many have young families that they get very little time with, with a 9 month season then often international commitments too?
Furthermore strict food, can't go out in public without being pestered, close control over social media, control over what they have to buy because of sponsors, Christmas largely away from family.
Any simple mistake you and I make daily can be picked on and exploded for footballers.
poor performances on the pitch can lead to threats off it including to families.
also think people have to look at what negative mental affects after football, a lot of players struggle with depression after retiring.

Yes what they earn is a lot more than it should be, but I think the common misconception that footballers have it easy is wrong

I'd happily put up with all that for the money they get.

Maybe they/you should try doing a proper job in something like the NHS that is currently facing massive cut backs to get some perspective.

skybluegod

I'd happily put up with all that for the money they get.

Maybe they/you should try doing a proper job in something like the NHS that is currently facing massive cut backs to get some perspective.

Alright snappy... I didn't say I wouldn't do it? All I did say they don't have an easy life.
And I think it's disgusting that you say you would put up with depression for money. It's a vile disgusting thing to go through. No amount of money can make it worth it tbh. While not all footballers suffer with it, a lot do. Tosser.

Paxman II

You kidding? I see where you're coming from but really? Perhaps a decade or so ago but today? Rooney 1 million a month and he will struggle after he hangs up his boots in some way? Come on this isn't the 80's.

skybluegod

You kidding? I see where you're coming from but really? Perhaps a decade or so ago but today? Rooney 1 million a month and he will struggle after he hangs up his boots in some way? Come on this isn't the 80's.

so money solves mental issues? I would argue it increases the likelihood... More money more pressure, more expectancy, what can pro footballers do after football? Yes I agree he will be be well off after it, but I think it's a very sad life once you retire. But your opinion is fair enough.
Im not saying footballers should earn anywhere near as much as they do, but you must agree it isn't like they have such an easy life?

Last edited:

Paxman II

so money solves mental issues? I would argue it increases the likelihood... More money more pressure, more expectancy, what can pro footballers do after football? Yes I agree he will be be well off after it, but I think it's a very sad life once you retire. But your opinion is fair enough.
Im not saying footballers should earn anywhere near as much as they do, but you must agree it isn't like they have such an easy life?

Without arguing as I can see what you are referring to but to be frank, yes they do have an easy life today when compared to the rest of us. There will be pressures in all walks of life and money alone can't always fix that. Stephen Fry is rich and successful and has had his ups and downs but that is down to the individual and not his money or surroundings. What a footballer does have is the cushion most of us don't have. Money and pots of it. This helps to remove the uncertainty of the future which most of us worry about all our lives. So in summary yes a top footballer has it easy and to be suggest otherwise is false. Those that fall off the wagon so to speak and blow their opportunity big time either have enormous issues that any of us can have or they are simply reckless young men.

J

Jack Griffin

I blame the folks who pay for Sky TV (& the others such as they are). :whistle:

They are only paying the clubs in proportion to what they can charge the punters.

Gazolba

Imagine how the top players from the past must feel. Most of the star players from the 1960's and before had to get real jobs to support themselves after they hung up their boots. Players like Rooney probably make as much from endorsements as they do from playing.

But you can't argue with the fact that no-one wants to watch League 1 or League 2 games on TV. And TV is where the money is.

Paxman II

As an aside I would question the quality of the premier league this season. I've seen some excellent football and goals come from lower leagues some premiership teams would be proud of. I think the gap is closing tbh.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Cant help thinking that this is money gone mad. The product is often little more than average.

Yes the players have pressures but no more than the rest of us, only different in some respects. I would rather be in their position than that of a family living on or below the poverty line worrying how they were going to feed the family the next day. It isn't just the money these players get it is the add on's where their life is taken care of or organised for them. Yes they may have to restrict family time (many people do - think doctors, nurses working at Xmas) yes they may have keep to a diet but is that really a hardship? It is a short career - but a well paid one which if viewed sensibly sets up a young man for a better future. We all have different priorities but most players are not at the top of the ladder and still get paid very well for averagely kicking a bag of air around on some green stuff.

Depression is not solved by money or created by its lack, it is no respecter of wealth. Sadly it strikes where you might not expect

Final thought relevant to CCFC. An average squad of say 25 players in L1 would seem to cost £1.75m, a same sized squad in the Championship will set you back £8.1m ........... that is a huge gap to bridge in a matter of months. It is also before adding in all the other wage costs of a league club

Gazolba

As an aside I would question the quality of the premier league this season. I've seen some excellent football and goals come from lower leagues some premiership teams would be proud of. I think the gap is closing tbh.

Please come back to planet Earth. The gap is getting bigger every season. Yes, lower level teams can raise their game when playing higher level teams in a one-off cup competition. But there is no way that can be maintained over a whole season.

Gazolba

More people attend games outside the top flight in England, then they do Premier League games.

And more people watch the Premier League on TV than every other league in the world combined.

Users who are viewing this thread