Football set to introduce blue cards as major change to the game is signed off (1 Viewer)

wingy

What problem is this trying to fix?

Temporary sin bins will mean teams are more incentivised than ever to waste time and play negative football.
Unless it's to sanction the players who are getting away with it at all?

chiefdave

What problem is this trying to fix?

Temporary sin bins will mean teams are more incentivised than ever to waste time and play negative football.
Before even considering this they need to sort out the diving issue

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sin bins are pointless unless you have a stopped clock. Just going to be endless time-wasting.

napolimp

This is a really bad idea. How the fuck are referees going to decide where the line is between a yellow and a blue, or one foul and another. That's a massive advantage to one team for 10 minutes, and there's no clear way to enforce it.

alexccfc99

What is wrong with just giving them a yellow card for dissent, you know... the rule that has been in place since the 1800s

shmmeee

What’s all this about? Seen something on Twitter talking about FIFA trialling blue cards for dissent. Gives you a ten min sin bin and a yellow and blue equals a red.

Why not just have a yellow? What happens if it’s a keeper? Seems like another example of the rules being made overly complex because refs don’t enforce the ones they have.

Anyway to make this City related, who would be our first player to get a blue card?

mmttww

Nah, I'm into it. It's targeting two things that p*ss me off the most. If players are off the pitch for 10 mins, it'll have an effect, quick, if it's enforced.

Same as when back passes led to free kicks in the penalty area. That was enforced, and that sh*t stopped quick. Good point re: Keepers, though!

SBT

There’s already a thread on this in the other forum, but in short this seems like a solution in search of a problem.

There are many problems that pose a genuine risk to the game (harassment of referees, racist abuse, time wasting to name just a few) but the football authorities seem totally uninterested in solving them, and laser focused on changing the format of the world’s most popular sport instead.

slowpoke

Bit different to rugby though their yellow & red cards are delivered while play has stopped and veviews of what has happened are between the referee and someone in the stand I’m talking internationals not sure what happens below that never watch it.
What happens if a blue card is given within the last 10 minutes is it a sending off ?I’d expect that could be when most could happen
I think one of the biggest problems is referee harassment on the pitch and off it from managers blue cards could send a number off together.
Lot to be considered.
As for var it’s replacing refereeing more & more
One thing they should stop is bunches of players crowding & talking to the referee while var is being studied, a joke.

Last edited:

hamertime

Bit different to rugby though their yellow & red cards are delivered while play has stopped and veviews of what has happened are between the referee and someone in the stand I’m talking internationals not sure what happens below that never watch it.
What happens if a blue card is given within the last 10 minutes is it a sending off ?I’d expect that could be when most could happen
I think one of the biggest problems is referee harassment on the pitch and off it from managers blue cards could send a number off together.
Lot to be considered.
You might get a lot initially, people would have to stop giving the referee grief.

Maybe it would help referees make better decisions without being surrounded by 5 players screaming in their ear. Im all for it.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
It’s laughable really. Players can’t accept yellows and even challenge reds, so now we’re going to throw another in to the mix? On top of VAR delays, matches could be going into almost a third half with the amount of time likely to be added on!

Just shows how out of touch the powers that be are.

slowpoke

You might get a lot initially, people would have to stop giving the referee grief.

Maybe it would help referees make better decisions without being surrounded by 5 players screaming in their ear. Im all for it.
I’m not against a blue card system at all but how it’s implemented I’m not sure, lots to take into account

hamertime

It’s laughable really. Players can’t accept yellows and even challenge reds, so now we’re going to throw another in to the mix? On top of VAR delays, matches could be going into almost a third half with the amount of time likely to be added on!

Just shows how out of touch the powers that be are.
I think it could save time, it could cut out dissent completely like in Rugby.

How much time is wasted in games with players arguing and surrounding referees. I think dissent is the biggest thing in football that needs eradicating. It puts more pressure on referees when there is enough already.

hamertime

Problem is consistency, we can't get consistent referee decisions on anything in the game, so why would blue cards be any different
The thing is all the referees cant just have been useless for the last 10 years.

Its the environment they have to work in that makes the job harder. Surely taking away dissent can give them they space to think clearer and make better decisions.

SBT

Problem is consistency, we can't get consistent referee decisions on anything in the game, so why would blue cards be any different
It’s impossible for referees to be consistent. And if you give them no leeway on whether something can be considered a foul (or dangerous play, or a red/yellow/blue card offence) then the game will quickly become a tedious box-ticking exercise where the refs are the star.

shmmeee

There’s already a thread on this in the other forum, but in short this seems like a solution in search of a problem.

There are many problems that pose a genuine risk to the game (harassment of referees, racist abuse, time wasting to name just a few) but the football authorities seem totally uninterested in solving them, and laser focused on changing the format of the world’s most popular sport instead.

I always forget that forum exists TBH

Users who are viewing this thread