For what it's worth.. (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue76

I'm a regular viewer of this forum but this is my first post. I just wanted to share my email to the Football League, sent today (for what it's worth). It was titled: Coventry City heading for liquidation.

Dear Sirs,
I have no doubt that you have received numerous emails from Coventry City fans over the past few weeks and months, expressing their deep concern with the situation at the club. I’m equally sure that some of those emails may not have been articulated very well, or perhaps have gone as far as being disrespectful.

It may be easy to disregard that sort of correspondence but, if nothing else, you should take from them the strength of feeling and anger that most fans have. I am as angry as the next fan, but I want to be as constructive in my comments as I can.

You will hopefully recall that the original application by ACL to put Coventry City Limited into administration came soon after Tim Fisher (Chief Exec, Coventry City Holdings Ltd) made public threats about liquidating the club. As it turned out, the club put itself into administration (not ACL – an important fact that we must remember).

Now, just this morning, Tim Fisher has again made comments on the local radio saying that if ACL reject the CVA, the alternative is to liquidate the club.

Considering Otium’s bid to buy Coventry City Ltd will, for virtually all of the creditors, only require a paper transaction between one SISU owned company and another (not cash), the debt will not be wiped out. On the contrary, it will remain within the group and will, ultimately, remain with Coventry City. When you consider this, and the fact that they plan to build a new stadium at the cost of tens of millions of pounds, while at the same time decreasing revenue significantly in the interim period with low gate receipts at Northampton, it is very clear to see that the debt will increase at Coventry City. And who will ultimately own this new stadium? It will be one of the SISU owned companies, not Coventry City Football Club, so we will be no better off in the long term. So where will Coventry City be in 3 to 5 years? Almost certainly back in administration and, with the potential for fewer, if any, bidders, almost certainly heading for liquidation.

While we do not know the detail of all the other bids for Coventry City Ltd, it was certainly in the public domain that at least one of those bids included the purchase of 50% of the Ricoh Arena (at a much lower cost than it would be to build a new stadium) and would offer real cash sums to the creditors. It is therefore extremely baffling how not only the administrator considers Otium’s bid preferable, but even more so how the Football League can sanction it. I accept there are no guarantees in football or in business, but bringing the club and Ricoh Arena together gives the club a much better chance of avoiding administration or liquidation in the short to medium term. I thought this was one of the criteria that the Football League considered – perhaps I am wrong?

In supporting Otium’s bid to buy Coventry City Ltd - which the Football League is effectively doing by publicly agreeing to Otium’s ground share bid even before they have bought the club - the Football League is setting a very dangerous precedent. While the situation with Wimbledon/ MK Dons cannot be repeated, I fear you are opening another loophole which you will very much regret. All football clubs should have responsible ownership, and the Football League should be publicly condemning owners that threaten liquidation so flippantly. You must ensure that in 5 years’ time, when another club falls into this situation, fans are not saying ‘I hope this is not another Wimbledon or Coventry!’

The Football League claims to be at the heart of 72 communities across England and Wales, and share the pride and heritage of each. Please do not forget that. This is not about supporting hedge funds, this is about supporting clubs and communities. There is only one outcome that will achieve this – and it is not to support the Otium bid.

Last edited:

DazzleTommyDazzle

I spoke to the FL today to (politely) express my disgust at their decision.

About the only thing that the gentleman who took the call could say was that the FL had to approve the groundshare because it was "not possible" for CCFC to play at the Ricoh and so another ground had to be approved to allow the club's fixtures to be completed.

I said that it was nonsense that the club "could not play" at the Ricoh and that this was simply a situation brought about by SISU/Otium's ridiculous negotiating position, which appeared to be based on a desire to obtain ownership of the stadium "on the cheap". He said that they "couldn't comment on that - but that was what Otium had told them". When I got back up off the floor, I did comment that SISU/Otium did not have a 100% record of veracity (how's the debt to equity conversion coming along Tim?) and suggested that perhaps independant verification of anything they are ever told by SISU/Otium might be a good idea.

I did also suggest that they increase the £1m bond required of SISU/Otium to £10m, if they have any interest in CCFC ever returning to Coventry.

J

Jack Griffin

Pretty much the same nonsense I got.

I agree the bond they want is ridiculously small.

Paxman II

OK you state facts that have rolled around for ever on here and yet still you and others get so much of the facts incorrect. If you are going to write the league then at least be deadly accurate on all the facts.
I for one have a pretty good handle on affairs going on as we know them but must state that regardless of that I do not know enough to send such a letter. We don't know enough is the truth of it.
One quick example: One of those bids did not include the purchase of 50% of the Ricoh arena. Factually wrong. You are referring to the shares. That has always been subject to the argument over income access as the shares alone do not give those income streams....so in one sense why would they do it and what's the point?

Everyone can keep slapping the backs of everyone else on here for re airing the same stuff over and over and the story or comprehension gets terribly out of shape.
If anyone wants to make an effort to find out more truth then ask the people concerned. ACL, SISU. Start campaigning there for some information we can understand and why it came to the situation it is now. When we get the truth and full facts, then we can make a better judgement. The leagues hands are somewhat tied. Their decision making is not about who owns the business anymore than who owns my business. I still have demands from regulatory bodies but they don't own me.

Last edited:

Spionkop

Paxman, look at the general drift of Skyblue76's email, the SPIRIT of it. It was articulate and much more likely to be read than an angry fan going off on a rant. You don't know the exact details, I don't know, nobody does, but I'll argue SB76 and his email are not far away in an ethical sense.
SB76. nice one. Why not print it out and post it as well. I'm old fashioned enough to think a real letter carries more weight.

Paxman II

Paxman, look at the general drift of Skyblue76's email, the SPIRIT of it. It was articulate and much more likely to be read than an angry fan going off on a rant. You don't know the exact details, I don't know, nobody does, but I'll argue SB76 and his email are not far away in an ethical sense.
SB76. nice one. Why not print it out and post it as well. I'm old fashioned enough to think a real letter carries more weight.

Yes it is well articulated but that's not my point? There are facts that are wrong. What he ask for is not possible. What he believes is not entirely correct. That's all I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread