Foreign owners 'want end to Premier League relegation' (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

_56102780_56102779.jpg
Several foreign-owned Premier League clubs want to scrap relegation, according to League Managers Association (LMA) chief Richard Bevan.

Bevan fears that if more clubs are sold to foreign investors they may have enough votes to force changes.

But the Premier League said relegation and promotion were part of its rules and added to the league's strength.

Bevan hopes that a parliamentary inquiry into football goverance would also help prevent the proposal.

"We're very keen that the report is successful in helping the Football Association introduce a licensing programme for clubs," he said.

"Because there are a number of overseas-owned clubs already talking about bringing about the avoidance of promotion and relegation in the Premier League.
"If we have four or five more new owners, that could happen."

Nearly half of the Premier League's 20 clubs are under foreign ownership, with rules stipulating that if changes are to be made to the format, 14 clubs must vote in favour of any new reforms.

Blackburn joined the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea in this class when they were taken over by Indian-owned Venky's Group last season.

But the Premier League told BBC Sport that the move would be a non-starter, with the Football Association retaining the power to veto any proposals.

A Premier League spokesman also said that they did not recognise LMA chief executive Bevan's claims, which come a week after the government demanded changes to the way that football is run.

Sports minister Hugh Robertson said that an FA-led licensing system would be brought in to safeguard against issues such as financial mismanagement, asset-stripping owners and tax avoidance.

The government also asked for rules to manage club debts and an overhaul of the FA board.
Last Wednesday, Liverpool's managing director Ian Ayre also said the Premier League's overseas television revenues should be skewed in favour of big clubs.

PREMIER LEAGUE FOREIGN OWNERS

• Aston Villa (Randy Lerner)
  • Blackburn (Venky's Group)
  • Chelsea (Roman Abramovich)
  • Fulham (Mohamed Al Fayed)
  • Liverpool (Fenway Sports Group)
  • Manchester United (Glazer family)
  • Manchester City (Sheikh Mansour)
  • Sunderland (Ellis Short)
  • QPR (Tony Fernandes)
  • *Arsenal's Stan Kroenke is a majority shareholder

blueflint

christ thats all we need cant get promoted cause we're crap then take any incentive away

wingy

Bad times for our game ,fans are totally marginalised from the equation ,the Fa definately need empowerment to act.I dispair of our game and the way its going.

Last edited:

sky_blue_up_north

If this happens it will be the final nail in many a coffin for clubs outside the Premier League. Total disaster waiting to happen in my view. What incentive would anyone have to invest in the lower leagues

Astute

I can see it going to one team relegated and another team going into the playoffs. The championship champions to go up and the next three teams in the playoffs with the 19th place team from the prem. This way only 5% of teams get relegated and another 5% have a chance of going down. 90% of Prem teams safe every season. This would make them happier. That is until they go down and find it very hard to get back up.

It would take away the tier system, meaning that CCFC would be top flight (if we survive). It would totally seperate the Premier League from the football league. The FA couldn't hold governance over both Premier Football (notice it's not premier league) and the football leagues.

wingy

This ,coupled with the new parachute payments ,£48m.,which relegated clubs can mortgage in one go ,already make it almost futile to try and get there ,WHAT THE HELL were the likes of RANSON et al doing voting for that one,for an extra £1m.per season ,turkeys @ christmas

smileycov

Facebook User
peed off with the greed that is killing the game in this country, beacuse that is all it is. Big clubs are being bought for the business not the love of the game. Apparently Liverpool want more tv rights abroad than say blackburn/bolton etc etc. greedy bastards!!!

wingy

So what do they gain from a proposal such as this ,even with the massive investment required to gain ownership. Most of those teams are secure in their positions in the league ,they gain £150m.every season by removing parachute payments ,hardly earth shattering @£7m. each per season. Wonder if this idea surfaced in india ,if this was a true objective i don't see it as reliant on more foreign ownership,it would surely come from those within the bottom half of the league,

Marty

It'll never happen, but something i'm worried about is why only 14 premier league teams are allowed to push something through that that effects all 92 clubs in the football league. It's just foriegn owners trying to protect their investment, that is all it is.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
For decades money has ruined football, from unrealistic wages for players (and other staff), Sky Sports monopoly over TV rights, people like Abromavitch and Al Fayed, buying a club just as a "toy" to impress friends, and loads more money related things. THIS is why football is dying on its feet. The ordinary fan who forks out every week out of his hard earned wages, pocket money, pension etc, isn't even considered. Has anyone ever heard a chairman or owner say, "Hmmm, I wonder what the fans will think...."? No!
What has happened to our beautiful game? Gone are the days when you could go to a footie match and watch a game for the enjoyment of the actual skills. If your team doesn't have money, you're sunk. Players won't play for pride or what they can do with a ball anymore. If there's no money around, forget it! So saying "this will never happen" is far from the truth. If money is involved, it WILL happen.

wingy

We can only hope that this select committee report ,brings weigth to bare,and forces the FA to show some teeth for a change ,they do have the power of veto according to the article.

cornoccfc

I've maintained for years that one day, a European super league will form (i.e. best clubs of eng, spain, germany etc form their own 18 club league ,totally separate from everything else)

kg82

Agreed with Tommy and Marty, it'll never happen. It's in Premier League rules. What would be the point, it would take away any incentive for teams knowing they're not going to challenge for the league title or Europe to actually play. As if we want some footballers to be lazier than they already are!

Coundon, absolutely no surprise there. Anything Gough says, Durham says the opposite and then one of the 3 lines comes out from Gough - "'solute rubbish", "jorkin, aren't ya" and "cu'n be more wrong"! It's good cop bad cop every single time!

wingy

I've maintained for years that one day, a European super league will form (i.e. best clubs of eng, spain, germany etc form their own 18 club league ,totally separate from everything else)
totally agree with that corno ,personally i can't wait for them all to fook off ,then we'll be left withreal football,and less of the sky hype.

wingy

Fergies made a few comments on this in todays guardian,pretty much echoing the view on here that it would demotivate the bottom half of the prem,then going on to say the effect on the championship would also be unfair,citing there are 8-10 teams in championship or lower that are big clubs ,citing the two sheffield clubs and leeds ,wonder who he thinks the other 5-7 are.In a seperate piece , same paper the guy who started this yesterday reffered to fears of a franchise system where they move teams around etc ,playing games abroad etc,all american style models.

wingy

Forsights a great thing ,ultimately Fifa ,UEfa and the rest are feeling the heat and are totally disrespectful to the home of the game ,if you take the prem s tv deal and extrapolate over 8 yrs itn pretty much matches what fifa have sold in tv rights for the next two world cups,i,m not saying this is good or i want the demise of the national team ,and icertainly don't like the power the prem wields over the other leagues ,with the inequity in the share passed down,but maybe the gravy train that is Fifa/Uefa is going to get the smack in the chops its earned

Disorganised1

The media are also pushing this idea - I watched the England Sweden game tonight and they were talking about the victory over Spain as if we had out-played them all over the park - I think England had 2 shots in the game - they are pandering to the idiots and accepting cash from global corporations to plug the cash cow.

I personally think a European super League would crash afetr 3 seasons. Once upon a time you'd come back from the pub early to watch a European match on the tele - now ? I don't bother when I can watch it for free in the pub. Its over played over plugged over hyped and over sold. Would you pay £50 to watch 11 foreigners play 11 foreigners ?

(We need a rant smiley)

AngryAnt

I personally think a European super League would crash afetr 3 seasons. Once upon a time you'd come back from the pub early to watch a European match on the tele - now ? I don't bother when I can watch it for free in the pub. Its over played over plugged over hyped and over sold. Would you pay £50 to watch 11 foreigners play 11 foreigners ?

I caught something about this on 5Live the other night on the way home from work. They were talking about the FA cup and how the smaller teams, while honest and saying they were disapointed not to get, say Sheffield (which makes a change from the "they are a good side" rubbish). The presenters were saying how it was good to see teams really go for it, proper football and how that Manchester Utd vs Barca happens nearly every week and is very over the top hyped and frankly boring.

Everything this season has been wrong, the parachute payments, the 'grass roots' football thing, now this.. Sorry but the FA need to start acting like a governing body.

ccfc2011

This will never happen.

Users who are viewing this thread