Formula One (1 Viewer)

Who Will Win The F1 2015 World Drivers Championship?

• Danil Kvyatt - Red Bull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valteri Bottas - Williams

• Felipe Massa - Williams

• Sebastien Vettel - Ferrari

• Kimi Raikonen - Ferrari

• Fernando Alonso - McLaren

• Jenson Button - McLaren

• Total voters
The worlds fastest motor sport is back! Formula One returns this weekend with the 1st round in Melbourne Australia and i've got a feeling its gonna be one of the best seasons to date. Last year was a straight fight between Mercedes teammates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, with the Brit coming out on top after a power unit failure for the German at the final round in Abu Dhabi. But pre-season testing has yielded a few surprises. McLaren need a miracle to finish a race, Williams and Ferrari look to have closed the gap to Mercedes and Marussia are back on the grid under their new name, Manor Marussia. So for this week's Cooks Question, i want to know "Who do you think will win the 2015 Formula One World Championship, and why?". Vote in the poll and leave your reasons in a post and we'll read them out on Thursday's show. Sports Lounge kicks off at 10am every Thursday on 98.6 Hillz FM, so tune in if you can. You can also catch the repeat on Saturday at 8am and our latest episodes are now on our Youtube channel (Sports Lounge Hillz FM)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I love Formula 1 and for the last couple of years or so, I've been watching Daniel Ricciardo's progress. I think given his chances in the right car he will be a certain world champion - maybe not this year, but certainly in the near future. Personally, I'd like to see him drive for Mercedes, but he is signed to Red Bull, a team that just didn't do it last season. I'm sure Red Bull, with Christian Horner and Adrian Newey at the helm, will turn things around again and will soon be back to winning ways. So I'll stick my neck on the block and say that my choice for Champion this year will be Ricciardo.

I love Formula 1 and for the last couple of years or so, I've been watching Daniel Ricciardo's progress. I think given his chances in the right car he will be a certain world champion - maybe not this year, but certainly in the near future. Personally, I'd like to see him drive for Mercedes, but he is signed to Red Bull, a team that just didn't do it last season. I'm sure Red Bull, with Christian Horner and Adrian Newey at the helm, will turn things around again and will soon be back to winning ways. So I'll stick my neck on the block and say that my choice for Champion this year will be Ricciardo.
The 2015 car is actually the last one Newey will be involved with. He is now the team's Chief Technical Officer and wont be as involved with the F1 team as previous

Covstu

It is one 'sport' that is so overrated. Who ever has the fastest car wins no matter how much they tweak the rules.

It is one 'sport' that is so overrated. Who ever has the fastest car wins no matter how much they tweak the rules.
Not nessasariry. Look at Ayrton Senna. The 1984 Monaco Grand Prix. He was driving a Toleman, a highly uncompetitive car, and overtook the likes of Lauda, Piquet and Mansell and went on to finish 2nd. Sebastien Vettel in 2008. Won the Italian Grand Prix in a Torro Rosso. Yes, having the bets car certainly helps, but the car cant drive itself

cornoccfc

Not nessasariry. Look at Ayrton Senna. The 1984 Monaco Grand Prix. He was driving a Toleman, a highly uncompetitive car, and overtook the likes of Lauda, Piquet and Mansell and went on to finish 2nd. Sebastien Vettel in 2008. Won the Italian Grand Prix in a Torro Rosso. Yes, having the bets car certainly helps, but the car cant drive itself

A mere 31 years ago!

covmark

I seem to remember something about Indycar racing being the fastest motor sport but then again think all of it is crap.
Have to agree, I get no enjoyment out of watching 20 cars doing 50 laps of a track. Let's be honest, most people switch off after the start when there's no crash off the grid.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Have to agree, I get no enjoyment out of watching 20 cars doing 50 laps of a track. Let's be honest, most people switch off after the start when there's no crash off the grid.

Went to Malory Park years ago to watch a motor bike meeting all I saw From where we were was a load of blurs going past every few minutes.

Houchens Head

Went to Malory Park years ago to watch a motor bike meeting all I saw From where we were was a load of blurs going past every few minutes.

It depends where you stand at Mallory. I found that Kirkby Straight (just after the start/finish line), or the long bend at Gerrards was best. I used to go regularly and had a great day each time whether it was bikes or cars. You have to get involved a bit as well - cross the bridge and wander around the pit area. Talk to drivers etc. It was a great day out and bloody cheap too!

SkyBlueScottie

Cant see much past the Mercs again, I think they were sandbagging at the tests and never really went out for a lap time, their performance in the race sims against others on softer grippier tyres must be giving the other teams nightmares.

Ferrari look to have made a step forward, I think Vettell is rejuvenated and should be better than last year (still not sure how good he is) despite being a 4 time world champion.

Mclaren, I cant help but feel there is something a bit special going on in their partnership with Honda. However it must be a very bog worry that they have not run at all with the engine fully turned up. I think they may have complicated matters slightly by being so aggreesive on the packaging of the rear of the car. I do think that if they can iron out all their problems they will make progress, big progress. However 2016 is the season to watch out for them. However this year have the most intriguiing driver partnership for me.

SkyBlueHomer

Have you ever tried Rockingham? Only about 1 hour from Coventry, near Corby.
Huge stand, from there you can see the entire circuit. We go for the BTCC & GT's most years, cracking day out

CCFCKirky

I have to say im surprised that Ricciardo has got so many votes. Personally i think Red Bull's pace has been poor in pre-season

True but preseason means nothing, I mean nobody thought ricciardo would do aswel as he did last year when red bull had a shocking preseason, me personally I would like to see ferrari challenge for race wins again.

True but preseason means nothing, I mean nobody thought ricciardo would do aswel as he did last year when red bull had a shocking preseason, me personally I would like to see Ferrari challenge for race wins again.
I do think Ferrari will be up there this year. Mercedes should dominate again, but i think Ferrari will have the edge over Williams, who should beat Red Bull

CJ_covblaze

It depends where you stand at Mallory. I found that Kirkby Straight (just after the start/finish line), or the long bend at Gerrards was best. I used to go regularly and had a great day each time whether it was bikes or cars. You have to get involved a bit as well - cross the bridge and wander around the pit area. Talk to drivers etc. It was a great day out and bloody cheap too!

Sorry to darken the mood but I bloody hate that place. Was a dreadful place to work. After Cadwell it's my least favourite circuit. Both too dangerous imo for short circuits.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

I have to say im surprised that Ricciardo has got so many votes. Personally i think Red Bull's pace has been poor in pre-season

Each to their own Liam. I once thought the way you do about Sebastian Vettel. "Who's he?" I thought, in 2009 when he came 2nd in the World Championship. In 2010 he won his first title and went on to win four on the trot!
Don't poo-pah people's choices so flippantly. You would look silly with egg on your face! :D

Just a quick update. A court has ruled that Giedo Van Der Garde is entitled to a race seat at Sauber this season. They are going to have to drop either Ericsson or Nasr

CCFC88

A sport/hobby absolutely driven by £££ in my opinion, the teams that throw the most money at it get the best cars and win 9 out of 10 races.

Overpaid enjineers working all week to make a machine for their driver race away from the field after starting at the front of the grid.

Id say the drivers skill makes up for possibly 20% of the result, the other 80% is down to the mechanics

May aswell watch robot wars.

Pathetic attempt to make it interresting last season with double points, the only way to make it more competitive and interresting would be to introduce a handicapping system similar to horse racing, not by adding weight to cars obviously but maybe allocating grid positions on previous form and scrapping qualifying?

HOwever they wont do that as theyll lose money from a day of ticket sales.

SkyBlueScottie

I don't get the money argument, 9 /10 the teams that spend the most in football win everything...

You are vastly underrating a drivers skill level, yes its different to the days where the car would drift through corners and there were gear changes made with a stick shift however the drivers of today have to use different skills, anyone on this forum would struggle to get the car out of the pits.

Why are the engineers overpaid, they are working in an industry, have high skills levels and of course with time the technology cascades through to the rest of the industry.

CCFCKirky

Just a quick update. A court has ruled that Giedo Van Der Garde is entitled to a race seat at Sauber this season. They are going to have to drop either Ericsson or Nasr

As sauber have come out and said, if van der garde races this season than it will put the safety of the other drivers on the grid at risk because he will be untested in that car and all the preparations have been made for nasr and Ericsson. Huge credit to sauber for appealing the decision.i think if they want a decent resolution to this problem then make him their test driver and give him a seat for 2016

CCFC88

I don't get the money argument, 9 /10 the teams that spend the most in football win everything...

You are vastly underrating a drivers skill level, yes its different to the days where the car would drift through corners and there were gear changes made with a stick shift however the drivers of today have to use different skills, anyone on this forum would struggle to get the car out of the pits.

Why are the engineers overpaid, they are working in an industry, have high skills levels and of course with time the technology cascades through to the rest of the industry.

Im not underrestimating the drivers skills, I am merely stating that theyre level of skill is nowhere near as important as the input of the enjineers. The drivers standings do not reflect the level of skills as a driver.

How can Vettell who won the championship 4 straight years by huge margins on some occasions suddenly lose all that skill? Do you think hamilton would have won the championship if he were in a red bull and Vettell was in a Merc?

It is a very closed sport, you could have a kid with all the driving skill of a Hamilton/Alonso from an early age who will never have a chance to make it as they dont have rich parents to put them through the karting circuits etc.

CCFC88

Money in F1 buys you instant success as you are investing in a team of enjineers who can produce a car that if 90% reliable you will win a world championship.

Because you are putting money and work into a tangable machine which has been designed to work and be reliable so the intangable you put in it, the driver, can afford to be at a lower lever because the car is doing 80/90 percent of the work, Button with Brawn in 09.

In football no matter how much money you spend it does not garuntee you success, Man City spent millions on talent such in the Robinho era before actually assembling a top quality squad able to win trophies.

35mill spent in fooball is a risk as it can buy you a player like andy carroll or 50mill on Torres, 35 or 50 mill in F1 buys you a part of a car which is going to perform exactly as you expect it to as it is a tangeable asset that you are not taking a risk on

Si80

Sorry to darken the mood but I bloody hate that place. Was a dreadful place to work. After Cadwell it's my least favourite circuit. Both too dangerous imo for short circuits.

Cadwell is an awesome circuit!

Lewis should storm the Championship again. Outside hope is that the Williams is as good as it was last year and Massa has another good year.

Always look out for JB but I think the Honda power train will need a year before it marries to the McLaren chassis properly. In that time Alonso will have moved on again and become a Mercedes driver imo.

As sauber have come out and said, if van der garde races this season than it will put the safety of the other drivers on the grid at risk because he will be untested in that car and all the preparations have been made for nasr and Ericsson. Huge credit to sauber for appealing the decision.i think if they want a decent resolution to this problem then make him their test driver and give him a seat for 2016

Van Der Garde has said he is ready to race. I don't think he is as quick as Nasr or Ericsson so im not surprised Sauber are appealing

CCFCKirky

Van Der Garde has said he is ready to race. I don't think he is as quick as Nasr or Ericsson so im not surprised Sauber are appealing

The appeal has been upheld by the courts which is no real surprise but I think it is a bad move to award VDG the drive because it means that now sauber will have to contest another court case between the team and whichever driver they choose to get rid of!

CJ_covblaze

Cadwell is an awesome circuit!

Lewis should storm the Championship again. Outside hope is that the Williams is as good as it was last year and Massa has another good year.

Always look out for JB but I think the Honda power train will need a year before it marries to the McLaren chassis properly. In that time Alonso will have moved on again and become a Mercedes driver imo.

Horrible place. Saw my best mate get killed on the start finish in BSB 125s a few years ago. Not enough space there. Also seen several others suffer horrific injuries on the mountain due to them coming off and then being struck as it's blind when you travel up it. Even though red/yellow flags are waved oncoming riders still won't know where an injured competitor is until it's too late.

The facilities have always been poor for teams and for spectators too. Very few hard standing areas for either. Teamwise the biggest problem I came across was the lack of access to the paddock from the pit lane.

SkyBlueScottie

Why give them credit, they came up with a bullshit excuse for not putting him in the car. If thats the case, all reserve drivers need to be banned as if they had to step in at short notice it would be a danger to all others. As for Van Der Garde, why would he agree to be the test / reserve driver and then race driver in 2016? thats exactly the deal he had for 2015 which Sauber reneged on...

Basically Sauber are short of money, Nasr and Ericsson can bring more funding to the team than Van Der Garde...

Houchens Head

I though Nasr had a good race on Sunday. Good finish position for a debut.

SkyBlueScottie

So Van Der garde has now settled with Sauber and is looking for a seat in Le Mans. From his version of events it looks as though his sponsors paid his 2015 retainer to Sauber in 2014, meaning a deal was signed and he was their driver for 2015, they used his 2015 money to keep going in 2014 and then went out and got drivers who could bring more money into the team. Effectively using the Van Der Garde money as a bridging loan. Poor form Sauber, poor form....

Users who are viewing this thread