Four out of five home games at night (1 Viewer)

oakey

Five home matches left this year.
Four of them are at night.
Tuesday night forecast is zero degrees.
Motorways likely to include lane closures and disruption.
Elderly, disabled and children find these games difficult for a number of reasons.
Fans with jobs and family commitments will struggle with the timing.
This is draining much of the enjoyment away for me.

Ps. It looks possible that we wont have a home game on a Saturday at 3pm til February.

Cheesed off.

oscillatewildly

Don't care - All of them have either bounced lucky with my shift pattern or coincide with time I've booked off.
Plus, isn't there some kind of excitement about a game under floodlights?
Please don't kill off another nostalgic element of the game.

Balli001

Five home matches left this year.
Four of them are at night.
Tuesday night forecast is zero degrees.
Motorways likely to include lane closures and disruption.
Elderly, disabled and children find these games difficult for a number of reasons.
Fans with jobs and family commitments will struggle with the timing.
This is draining much of the enjoyment away for me.

Ps. It looks possible that we wont have a home game on a Saturday at 3pm til February.

Cheesed off.
Next year will be worse

Blind-Faith

Yeah, it’s ruining it for me. Already decided I won’t be renewing next season. I expect a couple of matches to be in the middle of the week. But I want something to do on a Saturday afternoon, not rushing around on a cold Tuesday night in November to go watch Plymouth at home. Hence, I’m not going Tuesday.

I know it’s not the clubs fault , TV is ruining the game. But it’s absolutely ridiculous as far as I’m concerned

shmmeee

It’s proper shit innit? Not sure what can be done though like everything else money related.

SBbucks

Yeah, it’s ruining it for me. Already decided I won’t be renewing next season. I expect a couple of matches to be in the middle of the week. But I want something to do on a Saturday afternoon, not rushing around on a cold Tuesday night in November to go watch Plymouth at home. Hence, I’m not going Tuesday.

I know it’s not the clubs fault , TV is ruining the game. But it’s absolutely ridiculous as far as I’m concerned

Only one of the remaining 5 this year has been changed for TV, the rest are normal evening fixtures that we would have every season. Next season with the new TV deal will obviously be a different matter (but the main issue likely to be Saturday games being rearranged over the long weekend rather than genuine midweek night matches).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blind-Faith

Only one of them has been changed for TV, the rest are normal evening fixtures that we would have every season. Next season with the new TV deal will obviously be a different matter.

Isn’t it something like 9 or 10 of our home games aren’t on a Saturday at 3pm now? It’s ridiculous

SBbucks

Isn’t it something like 9 or 10 of our home games aren’t on a Saturday at 3pm now? It’s ridiculous

Next year we’ll be lucky if 10 out of 23 home games are on Saturday 3pm. But if people want to cling onto that as being the only time for football then I assume they would have been happy for us to stay in League 1 or 2? That’s the only way it’s going to happen and no amount of complaining is going to change it.

Hertsccfc

Agree with OP and it's especially a problem when you don't live nearby. But unfortunately we have no power to change things and it's not really the club's fault. I guess if we want to change it we have to stop paying subscriptions to Sky, BT etc.

Reactions: SBT

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Next year we’ll be lucky if 10 out of 23 home games are on Saturday 3pm. But if people want to cling onto that as being the only time for football then I assume they would have been happy for us to stay in League 1 or 2? That’s the only way it’s going to happen and no amount of complaining is going to change it.

Sorry it won't you might got more than in the Championship but even there 5 games will be shown live.Like Hertsccfc says only stopping subscriptions will stop it.

SBbucks

Sorry it won't you might got more than in the Championship but even there 5 games will be shown live.Like Hertsccfc says only stopping subscriptions will stop it.

There will only be 5 televised games across leagues 1 & 2 combined, so likely 19 out of 24 will be Saturday 3pm. So much less impact.

SBbucks

Not just TV to blame. The international breaks have deprived us of Saturday slots in September, October, November and no doubt there will be more in the Spring.

It sounds like you think this is unusual - it happens every season

Cov kid 55

Does nobody like watching football under the lights? Although I appreciate the difficulties mentioned by posters, for me, football under the lights is always adds something.

Balli001

There will only be 5 televised games across leagues 1 & 2 combined, so likely 19 out of 24 will be Saturday 3pm. So much less impact.

Championship tho will only have around half the games each week on a 3pm Saturday slot

SBbucks

Championship tho will only have around half the games each week on a 3pm Saturday slot

Indeed. There will be a maximum 7 Championship games at 3pm Saturday, the other 5 will be live on TV over the weekend. I would expect plenty of Saturday & Sunday lunchtime games and probably Saturday evening games, as well as the Friday night slots. It wouldn’t surprise me if they introduced 18:30 games on Sunday too.

Marty

I hate night games, I've got to be up at 5 to get to work, if I attend, once I've got home, showered etc, it's close to midnight, so I usually miss the game and watch on the dodgy firestick, It's going to be even worse next season once the new TV deal comes in. Makes me question if I'm even going to bother getting a season ticket next year. It just doesn't represent value for money if I'm going to be missing half the games.

hill83

Considering picking and choosing next season. My dad can’t handle night games due to mental health issues and my son can’t make them because he’s got fucking school the next day. I work shifts and book time off around games so when they change I’m fucked. I have heard they are giving us more notice next season though if we are on tv.

Flying Fokker

The EFL forgot that the customer comes first.. Crowds make atmosphere at matches.
The second half of the season looks better at the moment.
8 Saturday Games 2 weekday ATM.

I like night games. But to have so many home fixtures that aren’t on Saturday is frustrating.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Considering picking and choosing next season. My dad can’t handle night games due to mental health issues and my son can’t make them because he’s got fucking school the next day. I work shifts and book time off around games so when they change I’m fucked. I have heard they are giving us more notice next season though if we are on tv.

Said it before but they've got to bring back match packages

SBbucks

Correct re the notice given. All pre-January TV games will be announced before the season starts and then the notice period gets shorter as the season progresses. The original announcement is below (note interesting point about greater parity between the clubs):

“With the substantial increase in the number of live matches, Sky Sports and the EFL will introduce a new commitment for clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on TV selections. The defined notice periods will enable clubs and fans to plan further in advance and this will include the placement of all live matches selected for broadcast for the period to FA Cup third round before the start of the season. Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed”.

hill83

Correct re the notice given. All pre-January TV games will be announced before the season starts and then the notice period gets shorter as the season progresses. The original announcement is below (note interesting point about greater parity between the clubs):

“With the substantial increase in the number of live matches, Sky Sports and the EFL will introduce a new commitment for clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on TV selections. The defined notice periods will enable clubs and fans to plan further in advance and this will include the placement of all live matches selected for broadcast for the period to FA Cup third round before the start of the season. Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed”.

Works for me, just need to get on the blower to my lads headteacher then

Users who are viewing this thread