Freddie flintoff boxing (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I thought it was something for children in need but it is an actual fight isnt it?

Does anybody know if it is on tv?

Covstu

There is a big kick off in the boxing world saying it is making a mockery of the sport. My view is that if he is good enough then good luck to him, if he isn't he will get battered!

LastGarrison

There is a big kick off in the boxing world saying it is making a mockery of the sport. My view is that if he is good enough then good luck to him, if he isn't he will get battered!

Curtis Woodhouse made the transition from football so why not Freddie?

Blue Maniac

Curtis Woodhouse made the transition from football so why not Freddie?
Because Curtis Woodhouse trained as a boxer from a much younger age than Flintoff, and was reasonably good at it. Even so, his record is just about satisfactory, no more. Flintoff is just a fat bloke in his mid-30s, and if you watch him train you realise his technique is appalling. This will be a miserable, embarrassing failure for all involved. Quite why Barry McGuigan is encouraging this I don't know.

LastGarrison

Because Curtis Woodhouse trained as a boxer from a much younger age than Flintoff, and was reasonably good at it. Even so, his record is just about satisfactory, no more. Flintoff is just a fat bloke in his mid-30s, and if you watch him train you realise his technique is appalling. This will be a miserable, embarrassing failure for all involved. Quite why Barry McGuigan is encouraging this I don't know.
Just about satisfactory? Hmm I would disagree and say that by winning an English title and only losing something like 4 of his fights after beginning in his boxing career relatively late on is a pretty good achievement and far better than satisfactory.

With regards to Flintoff he will be fighting at a much heavier weight which usually means more longevity anyway and has been a professional sports man all his adult life, hardly some fat guy off the telly who is just giving it ago.

He might be shit but the fact that people are slagging him off before he has even tried is ridiculous. Give the guy a chance for fucks sake. He has kept his head down since it has been announced and seems to be putting in the effort in training so best of luck to him I say.

Blue Maniac

Just about satisfactory? Hmm I would disagree and say that by winning an English title and only losing something like 4 of his fights after beginning in his boxing career relatively late on is a pretty good achievement and far better than satisfactory.

With regards to Flintoff he will be fighting at a much heavier weight which usually means more longevity anyway and has been a professional sports man all his adult life, hardly some fat guy off the telly who is just giving it ago.

He might be shit but the fact that people are slagging him off before he has even tried is ridiculous. Give the guy a chance for fucks sake. He has kept his head down since it has been announced and seems to be putting in the effort in training so best of luck to him I say.
What CW has done is a good achievement considering where he's come from, but if we take a step back and look at the bigger picture it's a pretty ordinary career. Still, better than mine.

Yes, Flintoff has been in professional sports all his adult life, but with respect to cricket it's nowhere near as physically intensive as boxing. There's little overlap in the key skill sets. The point, I guess, is if it goes horrendously wrong, as I suspect it will, nobody will be surprised. Conversely, of course, if he becomes a sensation, I'll be happy to dine on my words.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I had no idea about this until I saw this thread, people I was talking to today about it thought I was on the wind up. I read the sports pages regularly in the paper and online and hadn't seen or heard anything about it.

LastGarrison

What CW has done is a good achievement considering where he's come from, but if we take a step back and look at the bigger picture it's a pretty ordinary career. Still, better than mine.

Yes, Flintoff has been in professional sports all his adult life, but with respect to cricket it's nowhere near as physically intensive as boxing. There's little overlap in the key skill sets. The point, I guess, is if it goes horrendously wrong, as I suspect it will, nobody will be surprised. Conversely, of course, if he becomes a sensation, I'll be happy to dine on my words.
We'll have to agree to disagree about the "ordinary career" I am sure that there are many professional boxers out there that would love to be as ordinary as Curtis.

Blue Maniac

We'll have to agree to disagree about the "ordinary career" I am sure that there are many professional boxers out there that would love to be as ordinary as Curtis.
Absolutely, I'm not trying to devalue his achievements at all. There are plenty of bad careers out there. He's not a journeyman, but equally he's not beaten anyone of any real significance. I guess my point is he's not overcome any major challenge within the context of the boxing ring. But you're quite right, there are many many boxers who would love to be half as good as Curtis Woodhouse.

Users who are viewing this thread