Friday night games (1 Viewer)

NortonSkyBlue

No I’m not. I doubt there is a few dozen who have been converted to watch Wasps games. It just doesn’t happen. 26,000 was a combination of a massive away support and free tickets. The paying gate of Wasps supporters was outside of Coventry I’d have a good guess yesterday.
So you are guessing? But the facts are clear. Wasps are killing us. The people of Coventry have bought in to Wasps. Sad but true.

NortonSkyBlue

Aren't you just guessing as well?
My neighbor is season ticket holder and he is saying most of the fans are local. anecdotal yes but not a guess.
I am not guessing that 26000 and 22000 were the last two premiership gates at the Ricoh for Wasps and even if lots of them were free tickets it doesn't change the dynamic.

Nick

Administrator
My neighbor is season ticket holder and he is saying most of the fans are local. anecdotal yes but not a guess.
I am not guessing that 26000 and 22000 were the last two premiership gates at the Ricoh for Wasps and even if lots of them were free tickets it doesn't change the dynamic.
So you are guessing based on his guessing?

Grendel

This Friday thing is bollocks. It just happened to be good. If it was Forest Greens game replayed out it would have been slated.

CCFC54321

Wasps aren’t killing us. The Wasps rugby supporter has nothing to do with CCFC at all. The gates are down are simple ... we’re in the old division 4.

Wasps gates are from around the midlands not Coventry. As I said, I know one person who watches wasps but isn’t a supporter. Soon as Coventry rugby get promoted he’ll watching his local side.

I mean the how often do you see a wasps shirt in Coventry?

Amcoventry

A number of people go on about all these "free tickets" for Wasps games, where are these available? Common for sponsorship packages I would imagine is an allocation of tickets for the sponsor to use. These, then in effect, are not free but covered by sponsorship on an annual basis. I would also imagine there would be some tickets for radio promotions etc so in affect a contra deal for product received (again a value attached).
I would have thought CCFC would also include the above in their marketing strategies and as such be "giving" a number of "free tickets" for each game?.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

A number of people go on about all these "free tickets" for Wasps games, where are these available? Common for sponsorship packages I would imagine is an allocation of tickets for the sponsor to use. These, then in effect, are not free but covered by sponsorship on an annual basis. I would also imagine there would be some tickets for radio promotions etc so in affect a contra deal for product received (again a value attached).
I would have thought CCFC would also include the above in their marketing strategies and as such be "giving" a number of "free tickets" for each game?.

For the European game a week on Sunday a go my work place (in Coventry), my wife's workplace (outside of Coventry) & sons nursery (outside of Coventry) were all offering free tickets, 3 other family members were offered tickets through their work places. (Of course I politely declined all offers!)
I guess they know people will spend the admission fee on merchandise and concessions I guess that's the beauty when you own the Ricoh.

steve82

A Friday evening in October, November or January, February just wouldn't work.

Friday 22 December was a day many finished early and xmas holidays started. How many Wycombe fans would we of had travel any other Friday or even on a Saturday for that matter.

Home fans wise it wouldn't attract a huge spike in numbers compared to what you could lose on the away numbers if it was a Saturday 3pm game.

I see no benefit to changing from 3pm on a Saturday.

NortonSkyBlue

Wasps aren’t killing us. The Wasps rugby supporter has nothing to do with CCFC at all. The gates are down are simple ... we’re in the old division 4.

Wasps gates are from around the midlands not Coventry. As I said, I know one person who watches wasps but isn’t a supporter. Soon as Coventry rugby get promoted he’ll watching his local side.

I mean the how often do you see a wasps shirt in Coventry?
I am home for a few weeks so I bow to your experiences. I have seen more Wasps jackets, caps, hats etc than I have Coventry City merchandise. I have shopped at the Arena shop twice and saw Wasps wearing shoppers at Tescos and in M&S and Next.

Nick

Administrator
I am home for a few weeks so I bow to your experiences. I have seen more Wasps jackets, caps, hats etc than I have Coventry City merchandise. I have shopped at the Arena shop twice and saw Wasps wearing shoppers at Tescos and in M&S and Next.
You must have wasps on the brain, there's hardly anything on non match days.

Still plenty more ccfc stuff in general.

CCFC54321

Sorry on non Wasps day I’ve seen a wasps hat or fleece 2-3 times worn by fat old bags in farm foods and Aldi.

Believe me there’s next to nothing reg Wasps clobber in the city of Coventry.

NortonSkyBlue

You must have wasps on the brain, there's hardly anything on non match days.

Still plenty more ccfc stuff in general.
I hope so, however perhaps my antenna is more focused on Wasps? I will be the one at Port Vale and Carlisle wearing my new Wasps winter coat.

chiefdave

Comparing our attendances in the fourth tier to Wasps in the top tier is ridiculous. If you follow the logic that Wasps are a bigger club in Coventry than us then they would get more than us if they were in the fourth tier. Does anyone really think Wasps v Sedgley Park would be pulling in 7K on a Friday night in December?

Just look at the reaction around the city to the Checkatrade final last season, Wasps have come nowhere close to achieving anything like that and as we all know its a tin pot competition.

letsallsingtogether

Well it looks like it might become a Rugby City after all.
28,000 at the Ricoh, and the mighty Cov take over 1400 to Mosley and outnumber the home support by some distance.

I think actually yesterday’s upsurge was due to a very large away following.
Even if they brought 10,000 still means the home support is 3 times ours.

That is disappointing but the difference is one is top class Rugby (like them or not).
The other is poor standard football.

Irish Sky Blue

I am not saying that there weren’t thousands of Gloucester fans there, but I have to say I didn’t see them. I saw one guy wearing a red and white rugby shirt which I assume is the Gloucester colours. Thousands of yellow and black wearing people. A lot more diverse crowd than you would see at the football, a lot more women and a lot more family groups.
I find it hard to believe that committed football fans would suddenly switch to another sport in large numbers. I like watching a few sports with rugby being one. I have watched Cov a handful of times over the past 50 years and been to one rugby international. Despite enjoying those occasions I could never imagine switching my allegiances from City to Cov and certainly not to a franchise team.The International was interesting as the crowd seemed to be there for an event (This was Wales v Ireland in Cardiff last year). Yes, people there wanted either the greens or the reds to win, but even though the contest on the pitch was fierce, the crowd lacked the edge you get at football. This results in very little crowd violence ( although there was some at the Wales match both in the stadium and outside) and therefore no need for segregation. Welsh and Irish sat together all over the stadium. Perhaps this is why the crowd turned up so early for the Wasps game; it is an event where the action or even the result is not the be all and end all of the day. That said if Wasps struggle I wonder how many of their “loyal support” will stay. As someone else said, I doubt they would get 7k in the 4th rugby tier.

letsallsingtogether

I am not saying that there weren’t thousands of Gloucester fans there, but I have to say I didn’t see them. I saw one guy wearing a red and white rugby shirt which I assume is the Gloucester colours. Thousands of yellow and black wearing people. A lot more diverse crowd than you would see at the football, a lot more women and a lot more family groups.
I find it hard to believe that committed football fans would suddenly switch to another sport in large numbers. I like watching a few sports with rugby being one. I have watched Cov a handful of times over the past 50 years and been to one rugby international. Despite enjoying those occasions I could never imagine switching my allegiances from City to Cov and certainly not to a franchise team.The International was interesting as the crowd seemed to be there for an event (This was Wales v Ireland in Cardiff last year). Yes, people there wanted either the greens or the reds to win, but even though the contest on the pitch was fierce, the crowd lacked the edge you get at football. This results in very little crowd violence ( although there was some at the Wales match both in the stadium and outside) and therefore no need for segregation. Welsh and Irish sat together all over the stadium. Perhaps this is why the crowd turned up so early for the Wasps game; it is an event where the action or even the result is not the be all and end all of the day. That said if Wasps struggle I wonder how many of their “loyal support” will stay. As someone else said, I doubt they would get 7k in the 4th rugby tier.
Well Cov get the highest attendances in the third tier and there average is about 1300.

dutchman

Well it looks like it might become a Rugby City after all.
28,000 at the Ricoh, and the mighty Cov take over 1400 to Mosley and outnumber the home support by some distance.

Even if they brought 10,000 still means the home support is 3 times ours.

That is disappointing but the difference is one is top class Rugby (like them or not).
The other is poor standard football.

But I remember 30,000 of us watching Third Division home games at Highfield Road. We didn't care if we were the best or not because it was our team. Just walking up King Richard Street towards the ground I was staggered by the number of people visible in the north stand, I'd never seen that many in one place before.

Mucca Mad Boys

Which begs the question, what are Wasps doing that CCFC has failed to do?

As soon as you put aside the "Teutonic baby bayoneters" line, you need to think how one sports team has effectively captured the imagination of fans, whilst the other definitely hasn't. There's no black magic involved here.......the main reason is that Wasps' marketing budget is far above our own.

Also, it’s to do with the product on offer. Wasps are a premiership team with international quality players - they got to the final last year! No other team in the city can offer a superior product.

Plus, there’s some 15+ rugby clubs in the city, so there was market potential in the city.

Nick

Administrator
Also, it’s to do with the product on offer. Wasps are a premiership team with international quality players - they got to the final last year! No other team in the city can offer a superior product.

Plus, there’s some 15+ rugby clubs in the city, so there was market potential in the city.
Haven't cov rugby won loads on the trot?

Mucca Mad Boys

Haven't cov rugby won loads on the trot?

Yes, but they’re two leagues below Wasps - and a lot of their players are semi-pros still! Pretty good value for money, but they play on Saturdays like Cov - so I’ll always go to see Cov when I’m not playing rugby myself on Saturdays! Wasps play on Sundays so people like myself can go watch (I just so happen to work Sundays).

wingy

Yes, but they’re two leagues below Wasps - and a lot of their players are semi-pros still! Pretty good value for money, but they play on Saturdays like Cov - so I’ll always go to see Cov when I’m not playing rugby myself on Saturdays! Wasps play on Sundays so people like myself can go watch (I just so happen to work Sundays).
Not for long.B-)

Users who are viewing this thread