From the Donkey Box to Hearsall Common. (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Love this. I want a full review of both with the pint and price

Grendel

duffer

Good effort @Brylowes mate, I'd be struggling by now. If you're going downhill it's the Four Ps, which can get a bit too leery for my advanced years, but I doubt it'll bother you too much. I'd say skip it and head to The Old Dyers or The Broomfield instead, but they might be closed by now - I don't get out this late very often! 😄

Brylowes

No7, the 4 Provences, perfect for the younger generation who all seemed to be having a wonderful time, awful teenybopper music played so loud it would turn your beer off, if your beer hadn’t already turned 🤔 sharp exit.

Attachments

• 1684020033205.jpeg
    1684020033205.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24

David O'Day

Might explain why there were only about half-a-dozen teenagers in there. (This was early Saturday night.)

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't hostile, but there was bugger all atmosphere in there and the place is completely sterile - traditional decor all removed, monotone paint throughout, window boarded up from the inside. Odd.

It could well be it livens up later on but I don't think it will survive too long if that's the typical level of custom.

Anyhow, it is what it is, but we've already lost The Black Horse, The Coombe, and my favourite, The Malt Shovel from the area; it's sad to see another traditional pub bite the dust.
The malt Shovel, it was like walking into the set of the Goodnight Sweatheart

duffer

The pub isn't called the Donkey Box.
At the front between the 2 bar doors there's another tiny bar called the donkey box, would literally only hold about 5 people

Morning @Brylowes, hope you're not in need of too much rehydration today. Outstanding effort last night, I did try to warn you about the 4Ps, in fairness. 😁

What I meant was that I'd never realised the room in the Town Wall was called the Donkey Box.

I've probably been past that door a hundred times and never spotted it. Always in too much of a hurry to get my thirst slaked probably!

Fwiw if you're quick you can get a couple in there during the interval at the Belgrade if you get dragged into something cultural by the missus. 😄

duffer

The malt Shovel, it was like walking into the set of the Goodnight Sweatheart

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but my criteria for a good pub are:

Looks and smells like a pub, the older the better, but shoes shouldn't stick to the floor.

Has a reasonable range of beer, ideally with a hand pump bitter that doesn't rip your head or wallet off. (Anywhere that serves things in third of pint glasses is out by definition).

Minimal queue at the bar, and staff that are old enough to shave.

Somewhere to sit.

Either no music, or music at a level that you can talk and hear over.

Bonus points if there are a set of old boys playing dominos or crib in the corner.

Most importantly, doesn't go completely silent when you first walk in! 😄

chiefdave

Looking forward to Brylowes post saying he's just woken up with a massive hangover and the match has already finished :ROFLMAO:

CovInEssex

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but my criteria for a good pub are:

Looks and smells like a pub, the older the better, but shoes shouldn't stick to the floor.

Has a reasonable range of beer, ideally with a hand pump bitter that doesn't rip your head or wallet off. (Anywhere that serves things in third of pint glasses is out by definition).

Minimal queue at the bar, and staff that are old enough to shave.

Somewhere to sit.

Either no music, or music at a level that you can talk and hear over.

Bonus points if there are a set of old boys playing dominos or crib in the corner.

Most importantly, doesn't go completely silent when you first walk in! 😄

Chequers in Bulkington

Users who are viewing this thread