Full and frank fiscussipn (1 Viewer)

oucho

Saying "we need a wide player" isn't really the same as putting all the blame on Beavon is it like it started out with.

Hasn't Beavon been injured also?

Not sure about the injury but you do take my point about the un-balanced squad. That's the point I was trying to make all along.

Terry Gibson's perm

You play it to his feet for starters and not miles over his head like has happened everytime he has come on this season. You play him in behind / in the channels.

He is a clever player, he's actually ideal for when we are holding onto a lead and you want the ball to stick or somebody to help manage the game.

He is ok with his back to goal but the last of his pace has gone and he doesn’t score so in a team that struggles to score he is a passenger when they brought him on at Morecambe it was embarrassing

Nick

Administrator
He is ok with his back to goal but the last of his pace has gone and he doesn’t score so in a team that struggles to score he is a passenger when they brought him on at Morecambe it was embarrassing

Yeah which is what I addressed in the first line. You play to their strengths.

You don't take Biamou off and put Beavon on and not adjust the way we play to suit the change.

Ponticelli has also looked a passenger in games, we know if you put him clean through or give him service he will score. We have brought him on and still tried to play the long ball to him.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah which is what I addressed in the first line. You play to their strengths.

You don't take Biamou off and put Beavon on and not adjust the way we play to suit the change.

Ponticelli has also looked a passenger in games, we know if you put him clean through or give him service he will score. We have brought him on and still tried to play the long ball to him.

I am thankful that it is unlikely I will ever see him on the field again he must be fifth choice out of five.

On the style of play I quite like it when we get the ball forward quickly not long ball but direct balls , the danger comes when a Kelly gets it and plays with the centre backs who aren’t that great on the ball

Brighton Sky Blue

We can't let him go, he has a contract for 2 years (well, 1 and a half now). It will take a payoff....

The same as we can't just stop paying Andreu because he got injured to get somebody else in.

When we have played Beavon this year, we have never adjusted the style to suit. That's not saying he is Messi, it's saying it was pretty pointless.

Then at least loan him out and get him competitive game time.

Hobo

Point remains....by definition, it's ain't a "full and frank" discussion if some topics are off limits.

But not a productive point. You are either prepared to pull together one and all; or not. You are advocating some people are better than the squad. Individuals don't win games over a season or lose them.

shmmeee

I think we're all just asking "why can't we perform well each game, and coast this poor division ? It's always one step forward with us then two steps back. We say it's because of this,or because of that, but never get to the root cause. Yes SISU have caused us so much shit that just the mention of their name brings me out in a rage, but as all football fans know only too well once the game gets underway players as professionals should know what to do irrespective of matters off the pitch, and at times our lot come up short.

Thing is though, it’s like this under every manager. When was the last time you remember us being well organised and motivated even on a par with the average team you see at the Ricoh?

In theory that’s the manager bit when you’ve had the same shit with tough managers, soft managers, cloggers and sexy football, and squad after squad of different players, can you really keep blaming the manager?

Something is seriously up with the club. Be it the board, the fans, or the Leicester shirt under the Ricoh, it’s bigger than one manager. Fucking statistics alone should suggest all things being equal we’d have seen an average level of organisation by now across the last twelve managers or whatever it is.

Without us seeing what’s going on behind the scenes we’ll never really know I guess.

Otis

I thought everyone was embarrassing at Morecambe weren't they?

Terry Gibson's perm

Wouldn't say that, there were plenty worse. Nazon didn't even want to be on the pitch.

It was another case of being done by simple football where everybody knew their role.

He looked like he was lost

oucho

Yeah of course it was.
I was pretty clear from the start, some on here are so slow I had to make the point in several different forms of words. We're wasting a squad place on a striker who doesn't play or score, what are you missing?

oucho

But not a productive point. You are either prepared to pull together one and all; or not. You are advocating some people are better than the squad. Individuals don't win games over a season or lose them.
I give up. See you in the match thread.

Hobo

It's not irrelevant because if we had a player in the squad who actually contributed something then maybe we could have fielded that player and they could have made a difference to the dynamic of the team and thus the performance and thus the result. It's not pointing the finger at Beavon, it's point the finger at the squad management that seems to allow for hanger-on in the squad who take up a valuable slot in the squad.

Are you with him in training everyday? What do you know what he does or doesn't bring to training everyday or to the dressing room? He achieved a couple of promotions at Burton been there and done it. You approach our squad like a computer game..get back in the real world.

Hobo

Not sure about the injury but you do take my point about the un-balanced squad. That's the point I was trying to make all along.

Yes I take your point about an un-balanced squad, but you can't build one in a summer and a sludge pot January window (when in league 1 or 2). If you keep knee jerking you never get past first base. To get a balanced squad takes 3-4 years (unless you have unlimited funds).

oucho

Are you with him in training everyday? What do you know what he does or doesn't bring to training everyday or to the dressing room? He achieved a couple of promotions at Burton been there and done it. You approach our squad like a computer game..get back in the real world.
You're probably not wrong but it's what he is doing for US on the pitch NOW that matters and that's nothing. Hence the feedback from the discussion that failures in squad management have led to an imbalanced squad and this has had a knock-on effect in performances; Beavon and our non-existent winger is the classic example. Not having a go at Beavon personally but he does typify the problem. As do the two loanees who do not appear to be up to much.

Yes I take your point about an un-balanced squad, but you can't build one in a summer and a sludge pot January window (when in league 1 or 2). If you keep knee jerking you never get past first base. To get a balanced squad takes 3-4 years (unless you have unlimited funds).
Indeed - but the whole point of the discussion envisaged by this thread is to give this feedback so that it's heard loud and clear next time, not ignored. I agree 100% with your final sentence too and that's why I am very much for keeping Robins in charge in all circumstances barring 117 defeats in a row. We need the level of consistency of squad development you describe.

oucho

Well you're the one who mentioned him! If that ain't pointing the finger, what is?!?
mentioned him ans the prime example of our unbalanced squad.

Terry Gibson's perm

Well you're the one who mentioned him! If that ain't pointing the finger, what is?!?

Pathetic. You been taking lessons from the SISU school of keeping people onside and fostering a team spirit?

Seems like a great team spirit in this winning team but I suppose we never score so we might as well pick him and Biamou up front and see if we can set some goal scoring records.

Mucca Mad Boys

(Assertively) 'Right lads, that wasn't good enough out there, that's the sort of game we should be winning'

Most of the squad reacted negatively.

Max Biamou looked fired up.

A lot of football fans in general view the game or management as if it were Football Manager, or worse, FIFA. Unfortunately.

Ps. For the record, I’d have said it ‘Aggressively’

Mucca Mad Boys

It may well be unbalanced, but, I think you have to view it all in context.

The squad we had was so bad last season, we had to overhaul it. I imagine our player turnover in comparison to the top 7 is way above average. We’ve put a good squad together over ONE transfer window. As for January, we were replacing injured players, bringing me on to my next point...

We’ve been ridiculously unlucky with injuries. Firstly with Andreu, who looked like a coup and then with Jodi Jones. Jones before his injury was our best player and one of, if not, the best player in the league. Every team has to contend with injuries, but we’ve had season-ending injuries to two players early on in the season. We’ve had to change tactics because of it, certain players moved up the pecking order and so on.

In particular, I think the injury to Andreu has caused us to change tactics. I get the impression Robins intended to play his favoured 4-2-3-1 with Andreu behind McNulty. We’ve only really just settled on 4-4-2 with Biamou and McNulty.

Also, League 2 isn’t an easy league to get out of and last season, Doncaster were the first team to bounce straight back up in a long time. I think you have to be ‘streetwise’ to do well in this league, and judging by our results against the lower - we lack that for whatever reason. Look at how long it took the likes of; Bradford, Plymouth, Portsmouth and now Luton (on the assumption they get promoted) to get out of this league?

I think Robins should have another season to add to what we’ve got and to get key players fit again, and hopefully we learn from this season’s mistakes.

Brighton Sky Blue

1. A lot of football fans in general view the game or management as if it were Football Manager, or worse, FIFA. Unfortunately.

Ps. For the record, I’d have said it ‘Aggressively’
    Naturally, I don't see how Robins can't replicate my 3 consecutive promotions with McNulty scoring around 130 goals in the process, all by playing 4-4-2 every week. Bloody amateur.

rupert_bear

I don’t go with the Andrue injury as a cause for this latest slump he hardly played and when he got injured his natural replacement Ben Stevenson good enough for a half million pound transfer to Wolves hardly featured. We picked up when the rookie Baylis grabbed his chance and gave us some productivity from centre mid. Injuries are part and parcel of football. Bit of a difference nowadays managers have to work with what they have until the transfer window a test of their abilities and then in the window get it right sorry but Robins has failed in both those areas.

stevefloyd

I'd have had the soppy lot out taking it back to basics.

Right, you 2 take corners. You whip them in all day while the academy strikers attack them and the academy defenders defend them. Don't come in until you can put it on the penalty spot at pace every time, none of this lofting it in shit.

Down the other end I'd have Reid and somebody on the right, Vincenti or whoever he is going to play there whipping crosses in while running down the wing for McNulty / Biamou and JCH to attack them.

Throw ins, whenever we get a throw in every one of our players should be ready to go and get into their positions to receive the ball so I'd be working on that a lot in training too.

It's simple, we don't attack enough with intent.
Thats how they should be practicing with Haynes Grimmer Stokes Shipley Reid etc crossing the ball and at least 3 attacking the ball... its their job to get onto a crossed ball Biamou running centre, McNulty getting near post and Vincenti getting far post for the overhit cross heading back towards the danger area if indeed he is capable of heading the ball also try Biamou going near post for a flick on and McNulty to get on the end of any flick on thats 3 more attacking options than at present

Users who are viewing this thread