Gambling affiliation (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

This really is abhorrent

Guess CCFC have this arrangement with BoyleSports

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jordan210

Skybet did skybex rewards last season that I believe the login was the same as Sky gambling accounts. I would guess thats how they tied up the data for user and club. Plus all the affiliated links used on social and websites.

hill83

Surely that's a given though? What would be the point of signing up through links the club provides otherwise? And how else are profits made from betting companies if not from gamblers losing money?

Not saying it a good thing of course. Just not surprising. They would probably be better calling it 'customer profitability' or something.

1ccfc

So basically, by not winning matches, the club are winning from our betting losses. This sounds right up sisu's street, and maybe we have finally worked our their model. No investment = poor results = more income from us when we bet on city.

Brighton Sky Blue

Surely that's a given though? What would be the point of signing up through links the club provides otherwise? And how else are profits made from betting companies if not from gamblers losing money?

Not saying it a good thing of course. Just not surprising. They would probably be better calling it 'customer profitability' or something.

It is a bit different as it incentivises clubs to get their fans to gamble. In general most gambling profits come from a small % of customers who will nearly all have a problem.

ajsccfc

The problem is if/when gambling sponsors are banned the even shadier crypto twats will take their place and the whole thing continues.

Grendel

Yes the terminology is not a great sell but this is an industry than makes money from Sport and encourages participation so not exactly a surprise

Legia Sky Blue

If you accept a gambling company as your sponsor, surely this is a logical extension of that sponsorship, just as much as if we were pushing Tallon pens, Subaru cars or Granada bingo. The sponsors are paying to spread their profile and increase their customer base, and the club are offering that service to maximise their revenue.

The question of whether gambling operators should be allowed to advertise in football is a different issue really, albeit one certainly worthy of debate. Just a question to you FP though - would you rather we had no sponsor than have a betting company as sponsor? I'm not sure how much we get from that sponsorship, but unless it was significant I wouldn't be too concerned if we did without, but I guess it would give SISU even more reason to limit investment in the team.

dadgad

Gambling like any other dependency is a disease. Try shouting ‘don’t do it’ at a cancer patient or a diabetic. 🙄

SheafIsGod

Gambling like any other dependency is a disease. Try shouting ‘don’t do it’ at a cancer patient or a diabetic. 🙄

giphy.gif

dadgad

Of course the stigma surrounding behavioural and even biological addictions has to withstand the popular view that it is the ‘victim’s fault’, that he has agency over the ‘choices’ involved. This is not remotely the case but the nonsense endures for a variety of reasons…..mostly a combination of prejudice and ignorance against a background of monetisation and commercial self interest

dadgad

If you’re addicted to any drug - heroin, methadone, nicotine, alcohol - you’re also susceptible to any dependency with a strong psycho-social component; shopping, gambling, gaming, etc. It is still addiction. a disease.

Brighton Sky Blue

What a ridiculous comparison, gambling is a compulsion of wanting easy money.

It’s nothing like cancer but it’s also not as simple as ‘I want easy money’. It started out for me as something to do as a distraction then quickly turned into desperately chasing losses. Before I knew it I was there with quite literally no money left and lost more than one week’s pay almost right after getting it. Was just 21

dadgad

They also say that gambling is the worst addiction because of the number of others it affects. If the main breadwinner is losing his/her pay packet every Friday then who feeds the kids, pays the rent, etc.? Membership of gambler’s Anon has quadrupled since 2005 and the way betting firms sponsor football is no coincidence. Cigarette sponsorship of sport was banned a long time ago and there’s no good reason why gambling shouldn’t follow suit.

Users who are viewing this thread