Gary Deegan (1 Viewer)

skybluesalex

Just wondering will there be any further action after his suspension

CW6

I can see him gettin booed by some people

More than likely but if we don't get another player in he will more than likely be playing most weeks so people will have to try and forgive and forgot. Btw I am in no way sticking up for him because what he did was bang out of order.

CovLis86

I think he could be quite important this year. One of very few players who would get stuck in. So hopefully he apologises and people can move on.

CovLis86

I disagree. Think he was playing with no confidence, like rest of squad. Given a bit of a run, he's pretty much built for league one football.

stupot07

I disagree. Think he was playing with no confidence, like rest of squad. Given a bit of a run, he's pretty much built for league one football.

I dunno - he's only had 1 good half (2nd half at home v forest) in his sky blue career where he really looked good. He had 3-4 games last season when he looked like he'd never seen a football before. Really he is an unproven quantity, just like fleck - we don't know how good they really are.

Disorganised1

FFS he's a Dublin boy - jokes like this are everyday stuff in Ireland - get over it.

Sawyer

FFS he's a Dublin boy - jokes like this are everyday stuff in Ireland - get over it.

Im a Belfast "boy" and up North I can assure you jokes like this are not made everyday. There is no excuse for his comments, if its a private text to McPake fair enough, over twitter for everyone who is following him to see, unacceptable.

Nonleagueherewecome

I dunno - he's only had 1 good half (2nd half at home v forest) in his sky blue career where he really looked good. He had 3-4 games last season when he looked like he'd never seen a football before. Really he is an unproven quantity, just like fleck - we don't know how good they really are.

Is that the only game you went to last season? Obviously didn't see Blackpool where he was MOM after coming on as sub. Totally changed that game, and about 3 others!

Nonleagueherewecome

What joke? He said he supported the IRA and whilst I'm sure that's very common in Dublin, doesn't make it right.

No, he didn't. He tweeted "Up the RA!" to a team-mate who had been called up to the NI side. Now all but the most reactionary would consider that ironic, not a ringing formal announcement as to his political views, especially on the day when a former terrorist shook hands with the Queen, who lost members of her family to the IRA. Sure, most people would also consider it extremely naive and stupid to put anything potentially inflammatory on social media such as twitter. But if he'd said it to McPake, a joke between team-mates, would it have been as bad?

Is what Deegan said anywhere close to what Barton says 99% of the time he tweets? Barton is deliberately offensive and high-profile: Deegan is an obscure lower league midfielder who made a mistake.

Of course, if your knee-jerk opinion is true, and he genuinely is a IRA supporter, I expect Deegan to refuse to apologise. Instead he'll be holding a press conference to reiterate his political support for a united Ireland dressed in a balaclava and a holding a machine gun.

THIS is also a "joke": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6UhXivPyw4

Last edited:

Otis

I wish people wouldn't keep saying 'blown' on here. :D

I do have to say though, to suggest that Deegan is an IRA supporter is pure and utter nonsense and just something conjured up by the fantastical minds of the blinkered few on here.

If you ever say to your kid or a friend 'I'm going to kill you' when you're a bit annoyed with them cos they've done something wrong, does that actually mean you want to kill them?

Astute

Some people needed a sapegoat as usual.

SISU have been signing players. AT hasn't been scaring the players away from our club. Oh look, Deegan said "Up the RA" Let's add an I and say he made the statement "Up the IRA" There is a big difference here. It has even been mentioned before. I also noticed a few saying what he said was enough to get him the sack and then in the next sentence he is sh!t :eek:

I bet nobody on here ever makes mistakes. But if you ever do imagine doing it when lots of people are watching tour every move.

Otis

1. We don't know what kind of sense of humour Deegan has.

2. We don't know what kind of relationship Deegan and McPake have and to what degree they rib each other.

2. Mcpake, who is Scottish but chose to play for Northen Ireland. Something Deegan obviously felt warranted some ribbing and retort.

No-one is saying what he said was right, but it is all about context and there is far too much second guessing going on, on here. If I didn't know any better I would have said that many of you live your lives on the backs of Sun and Daily Mail headlines and take everything they say as the gospel truth.

Sawyer

Oh look, Deegan said "Up the RA" Let's add an I and say he made the statement "Up the IRA" There is a big difference here..

Why would you add an I? Up the Ra means up the IRA. There is no difference, have I misread your post?

sky blue john

A far bigger crime is smashing a womens face in but most of you welcomed a certain other player with open arms !!!

Grendel

A far bigger crime is smashing a womens face in but most of you welcomed a certain other player with open arms !!!

For once I agree with you but such is the curiosity of the football fan. Deegan's main crimes are against football - he just is rather poor.

torchomatic

I wonder how many Daily Mail readers we have on here?

torchomatic

And some were sympathising with a "Cov Kid" who smashed his Range Rover into a family's car and killed two kids while drunk. Go figure.

mattylad

he will issue an apology, be fined for his stupidity and we should all move on as we need everyone pulling together

Otis

And some were sympathising with a "Cov Kid" who smashed his Range Rover into a family's car and killed two kids while drunk. Go figure.

Don't think they were. Think they were just saying he had served his sentence and was a free man to pursue whatever career he wished and that the anger should have been aimed at the system that gave the short sentence and let him out when they did, rather than the man who served his time.

If he was given 7 years he should have served 7 years.

torchomatic

If I remember rightly Otis, he was a "lovely lad".

woody11462

he will issue an apology, be fined for his stupidity and we should all move on as we need everyone pulling together

Think that's probably bout right. I don't think he was showing support for the IRA but it was a stupid joke to make and he obviously realised that afterwards and withdrew his account when he saw how people felt about it. Words are sometimes cheap and can be spoken without engaging your brain first. This is a prime example of that but he needs to make a very public appology as he has upset alot of people.

Still, wouldn't be surprised if he was sacked as the club could clear another wage without paying out any loyalty bonuses/etc.

aodea

he made a mistake, he has been punished and it is time to move on. he will not make this mistake again. he will prob never post anything on a social media site again either. Lets focus on all of the positives at the club this week. kilbane, Elliot, Fleck.....

Brighton Sky Blue

Fans' sympathy usually rests on how good the player is. As King scored a fair few goals the majority overlooked his brush with the law. Soon as he goes to Brum everyone gets on the moral high ground. People in this country only offer forgiveness when it suits them.

Sky Blue Kid

Put me in the minority then BSB. King is a wankah, and Deegan showed support for the IRA. Albeit a joke with McPake, it was "Out in the open on Twitter for all to see" RA, is exactly the same as IRA....They tried to murder innocent people in our City. Thoughtless twat should be sacked!

Macca

Need to move on from this. The only thing that matters to football fans in general is their team winning. We need numbers next year for our promotion push

Otis

Yep. Going round it circles.

It was obviously a joke, but if Deegan has offended people so much then perhaps it would be just best for him to find a new club.

Users who are viewing this thread