Gary Deegan (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueUkeman

If he comes back fully fit and ready, he is going to be the playmaker we need in midfield. Does anyone know when he will be back though? :confused:

Nonleagueherewecome

Aidy said he was ahead of schedule, but they won't rush him back until next year. Aidy did also stress what a big player he's be for us ( I have on good authority btw that he only wanted to keep a handful of the present squad, of which he was one ).

I really think he'd do well in a formation like this, but who knows if Thorn will still be here. But he'd balance well alongside Sammy in a 442, I'd expect. He adds bite, and although he can be surprisingly very creative I see him more as a box-to-box midfielder/ballwinner than a playmaker-his touch and technique is a bit limited for that.
But thats ok-there are not that many guys about capable of fulfilling that box-to-box role these days, wheras in the '80's everyone had one. Which is why the Keane comparison got made. Note: this is different to the "Makelele" type sitting midfielder. He's a bit more of a snarling, hard-running, all-action rottweiler than that. They don't call him "Mad Dog" for nothing!

Nick

Administrator
He was highly rated in Ireland and I can remember one of the games he scored in.

I think he will be a younger version of Carsley :)

Great_Expectations

He is more of a ball winner/box to box than a playmaker, although this isn't to say he has no ability in this department.

Spoke to him today, "highly unlikely" we will see him before the end of the season.

Nick

Administrator
I think there is no point rushing him and Turner back.

Let them sit it out and have a good pre season and be fresh for next season.

Deegans brother was / is a member on here. :)

Nonleagueherewecome

I think he just had to adjust in the change of pace. He was an absolute bloody hero at Bohemians, and there are some decent players in that league.

Sutty

I really rated Deegan when he played for us last season. Looked like the box to box midfielder we really needed. A few times we saw him arriving late in the box to get on the end of the wide players' pull-backs. It can be very difficult to defend and we saw he picked up 2 or 3 goals from midfield, where we've really struggled in recent years.

Hopefully he'll be the perfect man to replace Gunnar, assuming we can't renew his contract.

Paxman II

It will be deegan or bell in the middle. Possibly ready made replacement for Gunna...but where does the long throw come from then!

Coventry La La La

Keogh has a descent "long throw" probably won't need it anyway.. Gunner played today and didn't take a single long throw... Any Thorn must not be a big fan of the "long throw"

SkyBlue_Am

I agree that Gary Deegan shouldn't be rushed back for the end of this season even though we have a central midfield crisis I would rather him take his time and have a good pre season ready for the new season however don't believe he has the amount of vision needed to be our playmaker but more of a gunnarson/doyle role of hard working, hard tackling and keeps possession when passing the ball midfielder.

bamalamafizzfazz

Was everyone watching a different player to me? Deegan had his qualities ie, strength, speed, movement and his willingness to get forward but unfortunately this was let down by his passing and his abysmal first touch. I hope to be proved wrong in the long run but seriously he couldn't trap a bag of cement.

SkyBlue_Am

Was everyone watching a different player to me? Deegan had his qualities ie, strength, speed, movement and his willingness to get forward but unfortunately this was let down by his passing and his abysmal first touch. I hope to be proved wrong in the long run but seriously he couldn't trap a bag of cement.

hahaha its been so long since he has played we may all be thinking of another player

SkyBlue_Am

Nah i am sure i aint confusing Deegan with Doyle....We will just have to wait for next season as i highly doubt we will see him re appear this season

Users who are viewing this thread