"Gel" (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Is this the new favoured word? Has it come from CWR or something? It is all I hear about the last couple of weeks :(

kg82

Oh yeah, this is totally a Thorn word, never heard another manager say it in my life!

shmmeee

So the concept of new players taking game time to learn how to play together has been coined by the pro Thorn brigade?

We'd better patent it, well make millions!

fernandopartridge

We're the only team who have signed a number of players in the summer.

We didn't have anybody playing last night who has played for the club before.

lordsummerisle

So the concept of new players taking game time to learn how to play together has been coined by the pro Thorn brigade?

We'd better patent it, well make millions!

No, but we appear to be the only team in League One that have signed any new players.

Nick

Administrator
I didn't even realise Thorn said it, at the ground last night it was like everybody had become an expert in football by saying "Gel" as many times as they could.

lordsummerisle

Orrr, novelty idea coming up, you could stop posting stuff that intentionally tries to divide and aggravate?

I definitely might try the eyes closed thing though

I just don't think that "time to gel" is a valid excuse, and been used by some as soon as we signed more than two new players.

You only have to look at all the other teams in League One and the changes they have this season to see that we're not the only team with new players, and certainly not the team with the most.

The players we already have, together with our new signings should be good enough to do very well in this league without recourse to excuses so early in the season.

Two draws not too bad a start, could be better, could be worse.

I accept that.

Sick Boy

I wonder what the next excuse will be?

'The pitches in the league do not let us get the ball down and play the game 'our' way'.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Is that.... hair gel? :)

What a load of rubbish... The team is fine. Thorn is just a potato.

Diehard Si

The players do need to get used to each other. They also need some confidence going forward and attacking with purpose.

They should both come with time. After that there really is no excuse and nowhere to hide.

Diehard Si

Has Thorn said it?

Thought it was just a word that the pro-Thorn lot used to cover up their lack of real confidence in him on here.

There isn't such thing as the 'pro Thorn lot'. That's just a phrase all the anti Thorn people are saying about the people who don't share their views.

The non anti-Thorn fans are just normal fans who are waiting to judge him properly and fairly this season, and not knee jerking after last season. He wasn't blameless but he also wasnt entirely culpable.

As I said in another thread. We can't afford a Fergie, we've got a shoestring manager for a shoestring club.

Sick Boy

There are no 'anti-Thorn' people, just concerned Coventry City fans.

If he is an average manager, like you claimed, then he will have no problem in finding another management job in the lower leagues in future. Somehow I can't see any one else taking him on.

There are some people who still consider him the best manager we have had since relegation.

... I understand a term can get annoying. But surely it can't be ignored that new players need time to 'bed in'.... 'get used to each other'... 'GEL'.

Is this really possible in pre seaon when teams are regularly in 'ROTATION'? So in my opinion you do need a good few competitive games before you can see whether a team looks like it has potential, the gaffa is making the right / wrong decisions or the new buys are just not up to it. But, at this time of year, in every club around the country you'll hear the term gel... don't understand why it's getting backs up.

Diehard Si

He's the only manager we've had since relegation ;)

I think it's easy to attack the manager when we're losing. He's the obvious choice. My mate is a Man U fan and he questions some of Fergies decisions. But they usually win and all is forgotten.

He does have obvious flaws, and yes I would be happier with a more experienced boss. But City have had a massive turnover of managers. We're going to have to give him time whether people are happy with that or not.

Astute

Any worried Manure fans about? Just lost to Everton after being outplayed for most of the game. This is after wasting over 20m on RVP. Or do they need time to get used to how eachothther play......or can I say it......gel?

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Team is strong but I still don't think we have figured our strongest 11 yet, tactically we are okay in terms of not conceding goals (AT goes by the rule: not conceding goals is mandatory, scoring them is a luxury) Which is true but we STILL need more attacking intent upfront and a midfield that can control and hold the game up, if the midfield is sorted that is half of the defences problem sorted to start with. Thorn as a manager is second best, As much as I like the guy we need a real manager with big aspirations and plans. Im not a mad AT OUT person but I don't think anyone is truly excited by the prospect of having Thorn for the rest of the season. Rather putting up with him and hoping for the best.

Black6Osprey

... I understand a term can get annoying. But surely it can't be ignored that new players need time to 'bed in'.... 'get used to each other'... 'GEL'.

Is this really possible in pre seaon when teams are regularly in 'ROTATION'? So in my opinion you do need a good few competitive games before you can see whether a team looks like it has potential, the gaffa is making the right / wrong decisions or the new buys are just not up to it. But, at this time of year, in every club around the country you'll hear the term gel... don't understand why it's getting backs up.

I think the time for gelling is over.

They've had 3 competitive games plus training sessions plus some have had preseason together. Its only football, a game they've probably all been playing multiple times per week since they were 8 years old. They should be getting the hang of it by now.

1nilandwe...

I think we'd all like to have a 'real' manager in charge with aspirations and plans. (What makes you think AT doesn't have aspirations is a different thing altogether). But we're stuck with him. He's the best we're going to get right now.

Nobody is saying he's a world beater, but we're not a world beating team. The club is still in crisis behind the scenes and now more than ever it needs people to get behind the team and manager. Wholeheartedly, and unashamedly. Negativity breeds fear and fear breeds poor performances. It's a vicious cycle and the fans have a big part to play if CCFC are going to break it.

Black6Osprey

Any worried Manure fans about? Just lost to Everton after being outplayed for most of the game. This is after wasting over 20m on RVP. Or do they need time to get used to how eachothther play......or can I say it......gel?

Thats Moyes with his out dated 4-4-2 has he not been reading the 2012 boys book of football formations. Must get him a copy.

Mucca Mad Boys

Thats Moyes with his out dated 4-4-2 has he not been reading the 2012 boys book of football formations. Must get him a copy.

4-4-1-1 actually, with Fellaini behind Jelavic and Man U started with a 4-2-3-1 formation, no 4-4-2s here... :whistle:

Black6Osprey

No, 4-4-1-1 is 4-4-1-1, not 4-4-2. 4-4-1-1, doesn't have two strikers and last time I checked, Fellaini is a midfielder, 4-4-1-1, is closer to 4-2-3-1 than 4-4-2...

Are you doing this for a bet?

I think the important point was Moyes played with 2 banks of 4 which according to some is out of date and dominated United who played a more "modern" system. If you think the 2 strikers permanently stand next to each other in a 4-4-2 and behind one another in 4-4-1-1 then I'm glad your just a fan and not in charge.

Skyblueweeman

Jesus Christ...we've drawn two games against half decent sides...lets wait til were 3 games defeated in a row before questionning the manager, the team, the signings, how the team 'gel'.

I know we've had a crap 10 years (plus) but the signings in the summer at least put a little positivity in some parts of our fan base. We need to look at things after 5-10 games and judge then. If we're towards the bottom, thats the time to pick things apart and still salvage League One status. Until then, can't we just see how the next few games go and not panic when we're not losing????

Black6Osprey

Jesus Christ...we've drawn two games against half decent sides...lets wait til were 3 games defeated in a row before questionning the manager, the team, the signings, how the team 'gel'.

I know we've had a crap 10 years (plus) but the signings in the summer at least put a little positivity in some parts of our fan base. We need to look at things after 5-10 games and judge then. If we're towards the bottom, thats the time to pick things apart and still salvage League One status. Until then, can't we just see how the next few games go and not panic when we're not losing????

Yes but isn't that the point of a forum, to vent your frustration or praise the team and people to offer different opinions. If we have to wait 10 games before anyone can give an opinion we may as well shut the site down for a couple of months or talk about the weather or the price of Argentinian plums.

dongonzalos

Has Thorn said it?

Thought it was just a word that the pro-Thorn lot used to cover up their lack of real confidence in him on here.

Nope just the pro 'give a manager a chance' lot
AT has never said it as far as I am aware.

However a lot of football experts use it when they refer to a side with a few new signings.

People have made reference to arsenal and Chelsea using the term this summer. This after they have only had a couple of new signings, not 9.

dongonzalos

New attackers need time to gel

Written by Mark Brus 1 day ago

Per Mertesacker believes Arsenal's new-look attack needs a little time to develop a good understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread