General Election (4 Viewers)

Sick Boy

Totally agree with this. Abbot is a nightmare and she's messed this interview up royally but it gives a prime example of the issues with bias in the media. The interview in question was preceded by 6 others where she correctly quoted the figures as this plan has been fully costed.

Compare the attention this is getting with one of May's rare interview on Sunday where she had no answer to why poverty was rising or nurses needing to use food banks.

Today she's in Cornwall, interesting following the live feed from the local paper:

Maybe if Labour just told everyone to go around parroting 'strong and stable leadership' we'd be better off. May even gave that answer to a question about Cornwall's health,social care and education sector today!

It really is beyond parody.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Every public service worker I've ever known has wanted to do a decent job. Be given the tools for the job and trusted to get on with it. And be paid enough to support their family (like anyone else).

Right wingers have a very blinkered view of the world. I saw it when Bob Edmiston took over Woodway Park as Grace Academy. He thought you needed a cut throat environment and pay incentives for teachers to do their job, but that shows a complete misunderstanding of public sector work. Just like many lefties don't fully understand finance for example, the right really don't get working for something other than a pay cheque. The idea of collaboration is just alien to them.

Carers are the ones that really get me. Look after the most vulnerable yet paid peanuts and treated like shit.

My kingdom for a nationalised social care system.
I went to Woodway Park,My Dad was caretaker there for years!!

RegTheDonk

It's a shame that gaffs like this are headlines in the media, jumped on by the opposition, and stick in the mind of voters. I'd rather the media investigate weather the actual sums are right, rather then the berk delivering the message. On 5 live, yes the numbers do add up ... but only if you look at salaries, and ignore the cost of equipping extra coppers.
Most people are alert enough to look deeper, but others are easily swayed. Too many times the soundbites are making the news, not the issues.

Sick Boy

What is? The hypocrite Abbott who preaches about education equality but chose private education for her child and who is only in the cabinet as she shagged Corbyn in the back of his camper van?

Abbot is a disaster but if Corbyn was taking the same approach as May you'd be among the first to criticise him.

Liquid Gold

Abbot is a disaster but if Corbyn was taking the same approach as May you'd be among the first to criticise him.
Yep, Abbot is useless and shouldn't be anywhere near the shadow cabinet but let's not spend everything is rosy the other side of the commons. Where is the outcry at the numbers of ministers complicit in the dismantling of the NHS having personal interests in private healthcare firms. A more serious matter that points to the oligarchical nature of our democracy rather that a few misquoted figures.

Grendel

What about Emily Thornberry?

Would you like to see Emily as foreign secretary? Will we be safe in Emily's hands do you think?

fernandopartridge

6 rehearsals, and still got it so badly wrong? So it's just her memory that's at fault then?

Agree they all make errors, but I thought one this bad was worth a mention.
Yes, you'd surely be able to do an instantaneous sense check as you're about to say something like that. She's a fucking buffoon, lacking in intellect, humility and any sort of a clue whatsoever.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

dancers lance

Diane "White people love playing 'divide & rule' we should not play their game" Abbott....... Truly a woman of the people.

oucho

It's a shame that gaffs like this are headlines in the media, jumped on by the opposition, and stick in the mind of voters. I'd rather the media investigate weather the actual sums are right, rather then the berk delivering the message. On 5 live, yes the numbers do add up ... but only if you look at salaries, and ignore the cost of equipping extra coppers.
Most people are alert enough to look deeper, but others are easily swayed. Too many times the soundbites are making the news, not the issues.

Unfortunately, when you have a high profile figure make such an awful hash of a very basic question "how much will this policy cost?" then that will always become the story, and rightly so, because all politicians need to appear credible and not just say policies that make sense of themselves.

The more worrying thing for Labour is that they do genuinely regard her a someone who is genuinely an effective and reliable media performer. If that's the case, I do wonder how bad the rest of their current front bench is............

Grendel

The bar isn't set very high at the moment with Boris Johnson!

Compared to Emily the bar is as high as Mount Everest.

Let's look at dear old John "ourselves alone" McDonnell. How will the global markets view John as Chancellor of the Exchequer? Safe pair of hands do we think?

chiefdave

Unfortunately, when you have a high profile figure make such an awful hash of a very basic question "how much will this policy cost?" then that will always become the story, and rightly so, because all politicians need to appear credible and not just say policies that make sense of themselves.
Which will be why this from the Tory side has received as much publicity today as Abbot. oh hang on, it hasn't.

Grendel

Which will be why this from the Tory side has received as much publicity today as Abbot. oh hang on, it hasn't.

He isn't a senior member of the party who would be a major front bench politician is he?

oucho

He isn't a senior member of the party who would be a major front bench politician is he?

Exactly.

Labour are pushing Abbott as one of their main spokespeople. But not only does she
A) talk tripe
and
B) sound thick
(neither of which are unique amongst politicians by any means)

She has this way of speaking which implies that she thinks the interviewer is VERY VERY STUPID. She speaks to Ferrari in the interview, and I've seen her do it with many others including Andrew Neill, as if the thinks the interviewer is a tiny child that needs to have obvious things explained to them very simply and slowly. It's arrogant and it reinforces her image as an entirely un-self aware, petulant buffoon. If she really is Labour's best media performer that probably explains why they are 19% behind after 7 years of unpopular Tory rule.

Monners

They are all as bad as each other. Never liked Abbott and I am starting to really dislike May.

At Northampton South have deselected that crook Mackintosh (think unfinished stand at Sixfields).

Sick Boy

Is it normal for a potential PM to have journalists locked in a room so that they cannot film her? Surely she should be open to the press and public, this is not a dictatorship.

Sick Boy

Compared to Emily the bar is as high as Mount Everest.

Let's look at dear old John "ourselves alone" McDonnell. How will the global markets view John as Chancellor of the Exchequer? Safe pair of hands do we think?

The current government is a long way from being a safe pair of hands. May is full of slogans that amount to very little substance.

Grendel

The current government is a long way from being a safe pair of hands. May is full of slogans that amount to very little substance.

I'm talking about the opposition which strangely you appear reticent on discussing.

Nick

Administrator
Is it normal for a potential PM to have journalists locked in a room so that they cannot film her?

giphy.gif

Ian1779

Is it normal for a potential PM to have journalists locked in a room so that they cannot film her? Surely she should be open to the press and public, this is not a dictatorship.
According to the BBC's chief Tory promoter Laura Kuenssberg - the amount of public appearances that May and Corbyn have made is equal.

RegTheDonk

So why is he on the main public broadcasting channel talking about their policies?

Most of this is side show. It's a pity May isn't prepared to take Corbyn on in the TV debates, she'd more than likely win most of the arguements, but I guess she's got the most to lose.

RegTheDonk

Exactly.

Labour are pushing Abbott as one of their main spokespeople. But not only does she
A) talk tripe
and
B) sound thick
(neither of which are unique amongst politicians by any means)

She has this way of speaking which implies that she thinks the interviewer is VERY VERY STUPID. She speaks to Ferrari in the interview, and I've seen her do it with many others including Andrew Neill, as if the thinks the interviewer is a tiny child that needs to have obvious things explained to them very simply and slowly. It's arrogant and it reinforces her image as an entirely un-self aware, petulant buffoon. If she really is Labour's best media performer that probably explains why they are 19% behind after 7 years of unpopular Tory rule.

She is embarrasing. If you ever listen to "Dead Ringers", they've got her and Andrew Neill nailed on lol.

Philosorapter

Its one of the sad states of politics at the moment that everything has to be stage managed. It's all about presentation rather than representation.

You don't want to be caught with your trousers down though.

Browns reaction is priceless.

Philosorapter

This one happened today actually with Tim Farron.

I can't see the public being kept away from Theresa May the whole election. When someone finally does get to be up, close and personal with her then it will be fun.

Philosorapter

The BBC showed an interesting poll recently.

IMG_0048.JPG

If Labour continues to rise like this then I can see a lot of leading Labour figures who organised and participated in a mass resignation will gradually be asked to step down.

NorthernWisdom

It's a pity May isn't prepared to take Corbyn on in the TV debates, she'd more than likely win most of the arguements,
I don't know that she would, neither are particularly quick on their feet. Could, in fact, be votes lost to the Liberals she's more worried about, mind.

Personally, not sure the TV debates add anything either, I'd rather their speeches and rallies were reported well, if it were a choice between the two. Admittedly I may be asking for the moon with the reporting ;)

Liquid Gold

The BBC showed an interesting poll recently.

View attachment 7318

If Labour continues to rise like this then I can see a lot of leading Labour figures who organised and participated in a mass resignation will gradually be asked to step down.
I'll hold my horses in that poll if the trend continues in a couple of weeks then things could get exciting.

It's a shame May sin't prepared to put her ideas forward against opposition leaders in a televised debate, I think it smacks of cowardice and party politics. If she really thought she had the best vision for Britain moving forward then she should make that case to as many people as possible, the whole way the Conservative campaign has been run stinks, it's like they would rather say nothing than tell people something they might not like to hear.

oucho

Polls.PNG
Not as much of a recovery if you use a different, but equally valid, methodology behind the graph.

chiefdave

This HSBC thing seems really dodgy. Loaning hundreds of millions at the height of the financial crisis to a company in trouble who in turn then made multi million donations to the Conservatives.

Then the chairman of HSBC was made a peer and the government put pressure on US investigators not to chare HSBC with money laundering.

Of course all of this on top of the ongoing election expenses investigation.

oucho

This is from the 92-97 parliament - gives you an idea that polls may be a bit uneven ratehr than constant, but it's the overall picture that matters. What I mean by that is that, regardless of whether the Tories are 25, 20, 19, 17, 13 or 11 points ahead in any one poll, it's all of them taken together that will give you an idea of what will happen.
Polls.PNG

It seems to me that Labour needs a game-changer, something to alter the narrative and make things look like they are making surpriing headway. So far this has not happened.

It may be that the local elections are surprisingly good for them, or that they can spin this as such (they will probably do better in terms of projected national vote share than they will do on June 8th). Maybe the CPS will announce an intention to prosecute some Tories before polling day which could blow the whole race open. But Labour will need something very big to get back into contention.

I do think that if they can do well enough to not lose seats, or keep the Tory majority below 30, they can call it a moral victory.

Philosorapter

View attachment 7319
Not as much of a recovery if you use a different, but equally valid, methodology behind the graph.

Its got to be fun finding out what has destabilised Labour more. The leader, as the Labour right insists, or the Labour right trying to get one of their own back into the reigns of power in Labour.

Its an interesting turnaround over the last few days now that the Labour right have gone silent. The question is though, as been rightly pointed out, will the trend continue?

Liquid Gold

I'm interested to see if there is going to be a 'shy corynista' element at play in the election. Normally we have shy tories who won't reveal to pollsters that they are going to vote for the 'nasty party' but it would be interesting if people are refusing to tell pollsters that they are going to vote for this incompetent idiot who is a danger etc. but when they are in the polling booth the X goes into Labour's box.

Users who are viewing this thread