General Election (17 Viewers)

Grendel

I suspect right now if there's any 'outrage' it's inside Conservative party headquarters!

I'm sure there is - that's why I said faux pas

dutchman

daily-cartoon-20170806.jpg

Brighton Sky Blue

martcov

In the end this is all hypocritical nonsense

The faux pas outrage is because the left hate to lose.

Which is odd as in this country they should be used to it.

The faux pas was all May. The outrage is all Conservative. The left are relatively happy as the vote showed that people cannot be taken for granted by the right of the Conservative party. Over 65% of grass roots tories want May to resign. Not content with hobnobbing with religious nuts in Saudi, she is now dependent on a party of religious nuts who have successfully fxxcked up their government in Northern Ireland by almost losing to Sinn Fein. A bunch of clowns put in a powerful position by the vicar's daughter who claims to be guided by her faith.

What a bunch of crap in a world torn apart by questions of faith deriving from desert life thousands of years ago.

I would take Corbyn any day instead of that, although he is far to the left of me.

Astute

Canterbury was pretty incredible
I know that we are not going to see it the same way.

But the way I see it is Labour should have won. Two elections ago the Tories had to jump into bed with the Lib Dems. And that was with Labour having a leader that wasn't trusted by anyone. Brown couldn't even smile in a nice way. The Bliar days were over. He knew that so walked before he was pushed. So bye bye Brown......

So then we got Ed Miliband. Not much better than a wet fart. No charisma. No idea. But the Tories still only just crossed the line with a majority. Lots of Lib Dems had deserted their party for getting into bed with the Tories. They are not Tory voters. But we didn't have a leader to take advantage. Close call but the Tories scraped home.

So somehow we end up with Corbyn. He only got put forward at the last minute to make the leadership race look competitive. He was a 200/1 shot. But there was a call on the internet to pay £3 so you could vote him in. Corbyn becomes leader.

Labour support goes downhill after Corbyn becomes leader. But as the election comes closer reality hits home. And to help a lot of younger voters register and vote for Labour. But the Tories still nearly made the majority. There has been years of austerity which is the norm with a Tory government. They were ready for the taking. Labour wasn't ready with a strong leader yet again though.

I can't see this coalition working. May should walk. But if she does they will put someone in place that will do a better job. They will turn up next time on TV. They will put more effort in. They will have a manifesto that people will vote for. Whereas Labour will have Corbyn. He tried his best. But it only reduced the Tories seats by 12. Yet Corbyn celebrated a victory. I don't want a leader that celebrates losing. I want a leader that can celebrate a win.

What is needed is a leader like Starmer. Someone honest and likeable. Someone with a lot of experience in life. He didn't become an MP for the money. He is respected away from politics. No skeletons in the closet. Labour should get a landslide victory with him. A proper victory to celebrate.

dutchman

I can't see this coalition working. May should walk. But if she does they will put someone in place that will do a better job.
Nobody wants it! There IS going to another election in a few weeks time and Labour IS going to win it. Every senior Tory knows that and none of them wants to be the Tory leader who loses that election. They will force May to hang on till then so that its her career that's buried by the electorate and not theirs.

Astute

Nobody wants it! There IS going to another election in a few weeks time and Labour IS going to win it. Every senior Tory knows that and none of them wants to be the Tory leader who loses that election. They will force May to hang on till then so that its her career that's buried by the electorate and not theirs.
What makes you think Labour would win in a re-election?

Corbyn wasn't up against anyone or anything. He has already offered everything he can. The Tories have much more they can offer as they offered us nothing. They had a faceless leader that nobody would know if it wasn't for Brexit. There also isn't a massive amount of young voters ready to register so they can vote Labour this time.

Covstu

What makes you think Labour would win in a re-election?

Corbyn wasn't up against anyone or anything. He has already offered everything he can. The Tories have much more they can offer as they offered us nothing. They had a faceless leader that nobody would know if it wasn't for Brexit. There also isn't a massive amount of young voters ready to register so they can vote Labour this time.
I think the issue is that nothing has really changed although the additional concerns that she is selling her soul to the devil with the DUP(or that's how it's being portrayed). Not many of her team have backed her corner in fact some have been negatively vocal. If she is smart she will be communicating a well thought out Brexit plan, anything different from the manifesto front will just get negative press but equally this will be the case for labour (everyone has shown their cards)

Sick Boy

The Tories are becoming more and more toxic. As a lifelong Labour voter, you must be able to see how a Labour government is far better than the current Tory government? I understand your concerns on JC as I have had them myself but the current government has to be stopped before they completely destroy the country.

Ordinary people are getting tired of the lies and hypocrisy from those at the top and are demanding an alternative, Labour's day will soon come.

Sick Boy

I think the issue is that nothing has really changed although the additional concerns that she is selling her soul to the devil with the DUP(or that's how it's being portrayed). Not many of her team have backed her corner in fact some have been negatively vocal. If she is smart she will be communicating a well thought out Brexit plan, anything different from the manifesto front will just get negative press but equally this will be the case for labour (everyone has shown their cards)

It's getting a bit late for her Brexit plan now and I don't think she can be trusted to be responsible for the most important negotiations in generations. Also with the DUP deal, the UK is unlikely to leave the customs union and single market.

As I've previously said, the UK will end up with a Norway type option with restrictions on immigration for a few years, but essentially keeping freedom of movement/or a watered down version where workers have to have a job before coming here (which most already do).

Last edited:

Astute

If they get rid of May most of the negativity will disappear. If they replace her with someone who isn't camera shy and offers the voters what they want they will gain votes. They are already close to having the majority.

If Labour keep Corbyn and can't offer more where will the large amount of votes come from to get the majority?

Astute

The Tories are becoming more and more toxic. As a lifelong Labour voter, you must be able to see how a Labour government is far better than the current Tory government? I understand your concerns on JC as I have had them myself but the current government has to be stopped before they completely destroy the country.

Ordinary people are getting tired of the lies and hypocrisy from those at the top and are demanding an alternative, Labour's day will soon come.
But where have I said that a Tory government is better for us? Totally agree with the rest though.

Personally I am better off under a Tory government. I have private healthcare. I pay less tax under them. But I was brought up as Labour. My kids are better off under Labour. The UK is generally better off under Labour until they spend too much. I vote more for what is best for my kids and grandchildren than for myself. My future is secure. My kids is not. My eldest is 31 youngest 7. Older ones doing well. But the younger ones?

I keep saying that I want Labour back in. And to do that something needs to change. To me that is someone without skeletons in the closet. Someone who can connect with the masses. And to me it certainly isn't Corbyn. Just like it wasn't Brown or Miliband.

Sick Boy

But where have I said that a Tory government is better for us? Totally agree with the rest though.

Personally I am better off under a Tory government. I have private healthcare. I pay less tax under them. But I was brought up as Labour. My kids are better off under Labour. The UK is generally better off under Labour until they spend too much. I vote more for what is best for my kids and grandchildren than for myself. My future is secure. My kids is not. My eldest is 31 youngest 7. Older ones doing well. But the younger ones?

I keep saying that I want Labour back in. And to do that something needs to change. To me that is someone without skeletons in the closet. Someone who can connect with the masses. And to me it certainly isn't Corbyn. Just like it wasn't Brown or Miliband.

I believe he has connected with the masses in terms of younger voters, but is having a harder time amongst other age groups.If May carries on though, I think he will gain more votes, albeit through gritted teeth.

Astute

I believe he has connected with the masses in terms of younger voters, but is having a harder time amongst other age groups.If May carries on though, I think he will gain more votes, albeit through gritted teeth.
But if there is a re-election it won't be with May in charge. She will hold on as long as she can. If she wants what is best for the Tories she will stand back and let someone else take over. The same with Corbyn. If he wants what is best for Labour he will stand back and let someone else take over who is more electable.

The problem with politics and the people involved is a lot of them are more interested in what is best for them and not what is best for their party and electorate.

Sick Boy

IMO, based on the party's performance in the election, Corbyn deserves amother shot at it. I believe there would be genuine anger amonget younger voters, which could put them off voting Labour in the future.

The Conservatives are increasingly putting their own internal parry issues ahead of the national interest.

Astute

IMO, based on the party's performance in the election, Corbyn deserves amother shot at it. I believe there would be genuine anger amonget younger voters, which could put them off voting Labour in the future.

The Conservatives are increasingly putting their own internal parry issues ahead of the national interest.
If there is another election and the younger voters are offered the same they would most probably see it as a chance to right a wrong. They are not disillusioned by politics and politicians like the majority of older voters.

Labour need to aim for those who never voted for them this time. And that means something needs to change.

Sick Boy

If there is another election and the younger voters are offered the same they would most probably see it as a chance to right a wrong. They are not disillusioned by politics and politicians like the majority of older voters.

Labour need to aim for those who never voted for them this time. And that means something needs to change.

Massively disagree that the young are not disillusioned by politics. Corbyn isn't going to go anywhere and shouldn't have to at this moment in time either, plenty were saying the Labout were about to get wiped out and he proved them wrong.

skybluetony176

Said this in another thread but worth saying again on this one.

The only hope for the Tories is a new leader, a new manifesto that remembers their core values i.e. not shitting on the elderly, drop the out means out hard brexit bollocks and take a sensible approach to brexit that everyone can compromise enough to live with. She's split the country right down the middle with her rhetoric and become a PM of division. She's the poorest excuse for a PM I've ever seen.

As a regular Tory voter anything less than this and I'm afraid that I'll be voting labour again.

Astute

Said this in another thread but worth saying again on this one.

The only hope for the Tories is a new leader, a new manifesto that remembers their core values i.e. not shitting on the elderly, drop the out means out hard brexit bollocks and take a sensible approach to brexit that everyone can compromise enough to live with. She's split the country right down the middle with her rhetoric and become a PM of division. She's the poorest excuse for a PM I've ever seen.

As a regular Tory voter anything less than this and I'm afraid that I'll be voting labour again.
Which is more or less what I have said. Yet after all of this the Tories still nearly won enough seats.

If the Tories sort out the leadership and put a proper manifesto together they will win more votes. It is obvious that May cost them a lot of votes.

Grendel

Unless Mr Corbyn is lying there cannot be another election.

skybluetony176

Which is more or less what I have said. Yet after all of this the Tories still nearly won enough seats.

If the Tories sort out the leadership and put a proper manifesto together they will win more votes. It is obvious that May cost them a lot of votes.

I think if the Tories take an approach of soft brexit, even if that means remaining in the single market and remember to look after their core supporters with a different leader and a different approach it may well be a Tory landslide.

I know a guy who runs a very successful business in a service sector who voted leave expecting leave to mean remaining in the single market. His business relies heavily on employing EU migrants. He found himself in a position in the general election where he couldn't vote Tory because they aren't willing to guarantee the rights of EU workers currently living in the UK but also couldn't vote labour because his business relies on zero hours contracts and couldn't afford the hike in the minimum wage that labour had pledged. I wonder how many more voters found themselves in this political wilderness and didn't vote?

W

westcountry_skyblue

I quite like Corbyn and think he's a decent guy,Just wish he would change his front bench.

W

westcountry_skyblue

I think after that result we will see people who were sceptical of him come back to the fold and a much stronger front bench.
Just wish he would get rid of Abbott,McDonnell,Thornberry and Gardiner.
They are liabilities,I do like Starmer,Watson,Lammy.

Grendel

Just wish he would get rid of Abbott,McDonnell,Thornberry and Gardiner.
They are liabilities,I do like Starmer,Watson,Lammy.

He certainly won't get rid of McDonnell and Thornberry

Users who are viewing this thread