General Election (6 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Jezza and co need to stop with talk of forming a government. Let Mrs May hang herself in a minority government and get into power by winning a majority next time. Stop saying we won with 55 fewer seats, Mrs May got a bloody nose which is great but now to get on with holding her feet to the fire.

Sick Boy

Her appointments to the cabinet so far have been very interesting. It looks like there could be a major change in the approach to Brexit.

skybluetony176

Her appointments to the cabinet so far have been very interesting. It looks like there could be a major change in the approach to Brexit.

I was just looking at polls for hard and soft brexit and a yougov poll taken at the start of the year shows only 39% favour a hard brexit. This is her biggest costly mistake I think and the election result reflects that. There was bound to be a change. Why it took this election to do it (assuming that will happen) is beyond me when the clues were already there.

Astute

as a Labour supporter I don't want another election. I want the torys to try and negotiate brexit in a minority government propped up by the DUP, it will finish them for years in this country.
Sounds good. But could fuck our economy up if not careful. And that is more important than whatever clown leads what party.

clint van damme

Sounds good. But could fuck our economy up if not careful. And that is more important than whatever clown leads what party.

I think the economy is going to fucked post brexit anyway so better for that to be on the tory CV.
Things may not be as bad if we have a soft brexit but that will upset a lot of their core support.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Can I ask all you labour supporters if you think all the promises labour said can be implemented in a five year term?
eg.Nationalisation of energy companies,railways,royal mail.
Billions to schools and nhs and social care.
Safe guarding pensions,winter fuel allowance.
Building thousands of houses.
Giving billions away in foreign aid.
Minimum wage
90 odd billion for the eu if you get in before 2019.
Not having a go just want to know what you labour fans think?

clint van damme

Can I ask all you labour supporters if you think all the promises labour said can be implemented in a five year term?
Minimum wage

it was a leap of faith, no one can say for sure.
What I do know is that the tories didn't deliver on nearly all of their key pledges from the last election and were actively working against the policies in this campaigns manifesto, e.g talking of giving every child a good start in life while forcing vicious cuts onto all head teachers.

W

westcountry_skyblue

it was a leap of faith, no one can say for sure.
What I do know is that the tories didn't deliver on nearly all of their key pledges from the last election and were actively working against the policies in this campaigns manifesto, e.g talking of giving every child a good start in life while forcing vicious cuts onto all head teachers.
Fair comment,I did vote tory but wont next time.

Terry Gibson's perm

Minimum wage

No, but it was probably quite easy to include them all as when they wrote it they had little chance of winning, May's abysmal attitude and performance allowed them to get near.

Grendel

No, but it was probably quite easy to include them all as when they wrote it they had little chance of winning, May's abysmal attitude and performance allowed them to get near.

Exactly. Why the Tories have not just ditched May and given Jeremy Corbyn free entry to be Prime Minister I don't know and I suspect they will regret this.

Philosorapter

And on top of this, any brexit deal needs to be passed through parliament.

Well that's going to be fun.

Hopefully the hung parliament will gridlock the political parties into doing nothing until the next election.

I think the result is best all round to be honest.

Last edited:

rob9872

Err article 50 has been triggered. If they don't pass the brexit deal a timeline has been set and we leave without one. Gridlock doesn't mean we stay as we are until an agreement reached so careful what you wish for.

dancers lance

Err article 50 has been triggered. If they don't pass the brexit deal a timeline has been set and we leave without one. Gridlock doesn't mean we stay as we are until an agreement reached so careful what you wish for.
Totally, I think people are forgetting (by saying May will now have too change tack after the election) that she will just walk away if she feels her hand is weakened, and there is nothing anyone can do about it, she already has the mandate.

Philosorapter

Yes. I was thinking more though of how exactly are the Government going to push this final deal through Parliament. They need all their MPs to work as one. There is a hardcore element that will just not vote for this whatever the deal is.

All it takes now is a group of ten or so Conservative MPs to band together and you have a lame duck PM, if not already. You'll also have many a by-election which will eat into this already thin majority she is trying to put together.

Philosorapter

A former leader of the DUP has already said that they can't see any deal between the parties lasting anymore then eighteen months.

Philosorapter

in that time the Conservatives are going to need to find themselves a new leader.

Ian1779

Minimum wage

Even if they managed to implement half of them it would put them light years ahead of the Tories in pushing society forward for the better. Some things could be implemented quite quickly - uni fees, blocking weapon sales to Saudi/Yemen, and stopping money coming out of NHS, Education and pensions. Some other things would take a bit longer I reckon.

Min wage might take some work to have in place, and what they need to do is support those small companies make the move to £10 an hour for their staff without putting them out of business.

Sky Blue Pete

Minimum wage
I think it's a reframing of the countries priorities. We are the 6-7th largest economy in the world. Our GDP is huge and whilst a few have billions and many have less than nothing we will struggle to make progress as a civilised nation. Thatcher reframed our whole society to individualism at worst and work for what you get at best. Corbyn could reframe it to community first and earn what you get and support those who can't earn. Simplistic - absolutely

Sick Boy

I think it's a reframing of the countries priorities. We are the 6-7th largest economy in the world. Our GDP is huge and whilst a few have billions and many have less than nothing we will struggle to make progress as a civilised nation. Thatcher reframed our whole society to individualism at worst and work for what you get at best. Corbyn could reframe it to community first and earn what you get and support those who can't earn. Simplistic - absolutely

As any decent society should be!

Ian1779

Jezza and co need to stop with talk of forming a government. Let Mrs May hang herself in a minority government and get into power by winning a majority next time. Stop saying we won with 55 fewer seats, Mrs May got a bloody nose which is great but now to get on with holding her feet to the fire.

I do agree - the longer she stays in power with the vile DUP the more she will drive away the parties supporters.

eastwoodsdustman

Minimum wage
Of course they can. Corbyn will be there saying ' welcome to fantasy island, where all your dreams come true'.

RegTheDonk

Michael Gove? Environment Secretary? God spare us.
How can she can entertain having this bloke around? Keeping her eye on him in case he's planning a coup perhaps? Thought they had him to a T on Dead Ringers as a Vicky Pollard type charactor.

Brylowes

Minimum wage
No of course not, it would be madness to think they could achieve all that in 5 years,
"But" it's what they believe in and would be striving for, the direction in which they were
Going to take us as a Country.
With The Torys on the other hand it was more of the same, more severe austerity, more
Privatisation, more tax cuts for those that need it least, and ever more disparity in our
Already grossly unfair society.

dancers lance

No of course not, it would be madness to think they could achieve all that in 5 years,
"But" it's what they believe in and would be striving for, the direction in which they were
Going to take us as a Country.
With The Torys on the other hand it was more of the same, more severe austerity, more
Privatisation, more tax cuts for those that need it least, and ever more disparity in our
Already grossly unfair society.
Do you have any idea what the cost and economic impact would be to the country if Labour tried to renationalise said industries? Just ask Argentina, the latest country to try it, it cost them their government and threw what was considered a booming economy into severe depression. not to mention that new EU laws are making it illegal. For example the new EU "fourth railway package" would make the railway side of things impossible.

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

Michael Gove? Environment Secretary? God spare us.
That's it then...let the fracking, de-forestation, rubbish burning & chemical dumping begin in earnest. Afterall he's so far shown him to be anything but a friend of education or health or anything else he has got his disgusting mitts on

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ian1779

Do you have any idea what the cost and economic impact would be to the country if Labour tried to renationalise said industries? Just ask Argentina, the latest country to try it, it cost them their government and threw what was considered a booming economy into severe depression. not to mention that new EU laws are making it illegal. For example the new EU "fourth railway package" would make the railway side of things impossible.

I thought we were leaving the EU?

dancers lance

That's it then...let the fracking, de-forestation, rubbish burning & chemical dumping begin in earnest. Afterall he's so far shown him to be anything but a friend of education or health or anything else he has got his disgusting mitts on

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I'm going to set fire to that big pile of old tyres I have in my back garden tonight, I can't get fined for it anymore as Gove is in (he loves that shit)

Users who are viewing this thread