General Election (15 Viewers)

wingy

Oh okay. Basically my point was, labour want to scrap car parking charges, which is great for patients and families etc.

But the massive revenue loss to an under pressure NHS, not a good idea really is it?
Well they're an indirect tax anyway aren't they.
Like a lot of other little pinches on the ordinary man.
While being informed that we can now earn £12K before paying a penny.
Anyone notice a further 2% hike on all our insurance policies recently.
Be honest 'Tax' is not a dirty word.
Necessary for the everyday oil to keep the cogs turning.

Sick Boy

It certainly felt that under the last Labour government, the UK became much more progressive and outward looking. Under May the country is quickly going backwards...her boys' and girls' jobs crap says it all.

skybluetom

I move house on the 26th, given the deadline for registering to vote is the 22nd does anybody know where I stand? Can I register to vote at my new address on the 22nd or can I not because I won't have moved by the 22nd?

I could just vote at my old address, wouldn't feel right though as I'm moving to another town.

Sick Boy

Just got the Conservative leaflet through the door and I see that the lies continue, apparently every vote for May will strengthen Britain's hand in Brexit negotiations. Do people actually fall for this rubbish? There is also little that is stable about her, she is weak and will get thoroughly shown up once negotiations over Brexit begin.

Grendel

Just got the Conservative leaflet through the door and I see that the lies continue, apparently every vote for May will strengthen Britain's hand in Brexit negotiations. Do people actually fall for this rubbish? There is also little that is stable about her, she is weak and will get thoroughly shown up once negotiations over Brexit begin.

What does the labour leaflet say? Does it mention Jeremy Corbyn?

Sick Boy

Unsurprisingly yes, it does...the usual weak leadership soundbites.

*apologies, read this has the Conservative one originally but yes it did mention Corbyn, albeit briefly.

Last edited:

ccfc92

I had a very nice Ad on my Facebook to get young people to register to vote feed along the lines of:

"Almost all 65+ people will vote, 25% 18-25 year olds won't, that's about 2,000,000 votes! Don't let the Tory voting old people ruin our country!

Register and vote Labour to save the country!"

Grendel

Unsurprisingly yes, it does...the usual weak leadership soundbites.

Oh which constituency is that then? Mine doesn't mention him at all

Sick Boy

Oh which constituency is that then? Mine doesn't mention him at all

It's Hove & Portslade. It is hard to imagine the Conservatives getting in here, Peter Kyle was out knocking on doors the other day, which is something I have never seen an MP do.

ccfc92

Both my parents will be 65 this year and have always voted Labour since living here.

I was more referencing the sweeping generalisation of the advert, this post shows how far off the mark it is.

Just like the "vote Leave, then die and let the Remain voters deal with it" adverts I saw on Facebook.

chiefdave

Just got the Conservative leaflet through the door and I see that the lies continue
Is that the 4 page thing? I started reading that and thought it was a parody at first and was going to be another party or someone campaigning against them. Doesn't mention a single policy and says strong and stable a ridiculous number of times.
Yes it does, it also mentions local and national policies. Something sadly lacking from the Conservatives so far. At least I've had something off them though. Nothing from the Lib Dems or Greens so far.
"Almost all 65+ people will vote, 25% 18-25 year olds won't, that's about 2,000,000 votes! Don't let the Tory voting old people ruin our country!
Its a valid point, well the ruin the country is debatable but the influence over 65s have is disproportionate. There was a breakdown of polls by age group earlier in the week and its neck and neck until you get to the over 65s. The younger generation have become disenfranchised as they feel nobody represents them. This is where Labour have dropped the ball massively with Corbyn. They could have mobilised that group who were right behind him in the leadership campaign.

ccfc92

Is that the 4 page thing? I started reading that and thought it was a parody at first and was going to be another party or someone campaigning against them. Doesn't mention a single policy and says strong and stable a ridiculous number of times.

Yes it does, it also mentions local and national policies. Something sadly lacking from the Conservatives so far. At least I've had something off them though. Nothing from the Lib Dems or Greens so far.

Its a valid point, well the ruin the country is debatable but the influence over 65s have is disproportionate. There was a breakdown of polls by age group earlier in the week and its neck and neck until you get to the over 65s. The younger generation have become disenfranchised as they feel nobody represents them. This is where Labour have dropped the ball massively with Corbyn. They could have mobilised that group who were right behind him in the leadership campaign.

jeremy-corbyn-york-may-2017-speaker.jpg

No, he's well down with the kids, innit ;)

skybluetony176

It certainly felt that under the last Labour government, the UK became much more progressive and outward looking. Under May the country is quickly going backwards...her boys' and girls' jobs crap says it all.

That was the good work of John Majors government that allowed that to happen. The fact Tony Blair and Gordon Brown failed to to build sustainable growth of that foundation is actually a major failure. Let's also not forget that it was Blair and Brown who relaxed governance of the banking sector so much that it promoted the greed and recklessness that delivered the banking crisis and that's a mess we're still paying for.

Sick Boy

That was the good work of John Majors government that allowed that to happen. The fact Tony Blair and Gordon Brown failed to to build sustainable growth of that foundation is actually a major failure. Let's also not forget that it was Blair and Brown who relaxed governance of the banking sector so much that it promoted the greed and recklessness that delivered the banking crisis and that's a mess we're still paying for.

I'm not talking about ££.

skybluetony176

I'm not talking about ££.

The two are intrinsically linked though. When it feels like the country is prospering the world is rosie. All of a sudden a few immigrants aren't an issue, the payments going to the EU don't seem such a problem and there isn't an anti-establishment mentality. That prosperity was built of the hard work that John Majors government did. Tony Blair fell lucky.

Nigel Farage said it himself on the morning of the Brexit result "it's a victory against the bankers". If there had been no banking crisis caused by the failed policies of the last labour government would their have been an out victory? If the banking crisis hadn't triggered a recession would we have been so anti-immigrant because they're coming over here taking our jobs, our houses and sending all the money back to whichever EU country they came from? I doubt it. The out vote and the resurgence that Theresa May is receiving in the polls all stem from the failings of the last labour government.

Prosperity equals outward looking progression. A failed economy equals inward it's time to look after our own thinking.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Yea, they didn't regulate banks as much as they should have. The Tories complained the opposite at the time.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

Yea, they didn't regulate banks as much as they should have. The Tories complained the opposite at the time.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

And? Labour had an overwhelming majority at the time. The regulation was too slack when they got in (that one was down to Maggie) labours and labours alone answer was to relax them further.

If the tories win the general election with an overwhelming majority are they going for a hard brexit or the softer brexit that the opposition want? The answer is that they'll be free to undertake the brexit mandate they set out without real interference from the opposition because of their majority. If brexit is fucked up as the relaxing of the banking regulations were it will fall on the tories shoulders and no one else's.

Yeah but should never be a get out clause for the decisions that a ruling party make. Especially when they have a big majority.

chiefdave

Ian1779

Thats the same poll that was posted before. its not 68% scything they agree we should leave, want to leave or would vote leave if there was another election. Its 68% saying the government has a duty to apply the result of the vote. A very different thing, surprised its not much higher to be honest.

As much as I disliked the outcome of the vote - to go against it now would be unthinkable.

This is a big factor why Labour appears to have such division.

chiefdave

Someone in the Conservative PR team is getting fired after today. A member of the public got to speak to May, that didn't exactly go well. But it went a lot better than the Facebook live she did with ITV.

The rate they're going at they'll probably release this as their new campaign poster by the end of the day.

18485325_10155740921043797_3474880506157452404_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread