George Thomas (4 Viewers)

smileycov

Facebook User
I like him, I rate him. Would rather he stayed as i think he will enjoy this coming season. We could certainly have some success at last. Time will tell but we do seem to be moving in the right direction, and putting solid plans in place (player recruitment wise). But if he is wanted elsewhere and brings in about 400-500k then fair enough, hopefully this will help in getting further players on board.

just don't like seeing all the slagging him off comments. He doesn't deserve that!!

mark82

The general consensus was that he wasn't worth a new contract prior to February. If he hadn't had a year left on it Mowbray would probably have released him and he'd have struggled to get a league club.

Completely agree with this. He came on a lot in the second half of the season and think he'd do well next year.

Would I like him to stay? Yes
Is it the end of the world if he doesn't? No

You could actually argue with Vincenti coming in he would be second choice right winger anyway (although suspect Robins will find a way to accommodate both if Thomas still here). 500k would be a good price.

st john

The general consensus was that he wasn't worth a new contract prior to February. If he hadn't had a year left on it Mowbray would probably have released him and he'd have struggled to get a league club.
Yes, probably wouldn't have won the Checkatrade trophy without him in the team, add the compensation and we probably have made close to 1M out of him if he goes, so good, or lucky bit of business really.

steve82

It looks as if Derby County have now joined the ever growing list of clubs interested in signing Coventry City youngster George Thomas, reports the Leicester Mercury.
According to the Daily Mail, Leicester City have made a £450,000 bid for the forward, but they are not the only side linked with Thomas.

As well as the Rams, Burnley, Leeds United, Newcastle United, Swansea City and QPR are all understood to be keeping tabs on the 20-year-old.
Thomas is out of contract this summer, but because he is under the age of 24, Coventry are entitled to compensation from whichever club secures his signature.

Unless a fee is agreed between the two sides it will go to a tribunal where the attacker's valuation will be determined, which is why the Foxes have looked to avoid this with an offer to the Sky Blues.

However, with so much interest in Thomas - who scored nine goals in 36 appearances in all competitions last season - from elsewhere, it seems this saga could go on a little longer.

Report: Derby enter race for League 2 starlet wanted by Leicester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

He would probably be better off at a Derby or QPR rather than Premier League.

I agree, they will be able to offer him a wage relative to his step up in leagues but also give him a better pathway and chance of championship football.

no_loyalty

He would probably be better off at a Derby or QPR rather than Premier League.

I read somewhere that if he goes to Swansea, he will be loaned out to a Championship club

steve82

It would be interesting to know what we have spent on him during his time at the club

That's the idea of a club receiving the fee for players under 24.

However I don't think 450k is a total recovery of what's been invested as I believe you mean.

But then how much have we lost in players who we've released, Jack Finch, Arron Phillips...

At least we will get something in return for George if he stays in England that is.
A SPL side could take him for nothing

letsallsingtogether

That's fine but we make a habit of it.
How many have we been waiting for to sign just this season.
I wasn't just talking about GT.

skyblueinBaku

At least we will get something in return for George if he stays in England that is.
A SPL side could take him for nothing
In that case, let's hope that he hasn't got the same agent as Bigi.

smileycov

Facebook User
Never gonna happen given previous free transfers and fees paid for similar players at this level.

450k seems right.

But with so many clubs interested now, they either offer more than alleged 450k or run the risk of not landing him. We will accept best offer then it is down to GT on who he wants. So I think we will get slightly more

Last edited by a moderator:

mark82

But with so many clubs interested now, they either offer more than alleged 450k or run the risk of not landing him. We will accept best offer then it is down to GT on who he wants. So I think we will get slightly more

They don't have to wait for us to accept to start negotiating with the player, however, I believe the tribunal would take into account the value of any offers from other clubs. It absolutely imperative we get a sell on clause built in, the tribunal will normally insert one of these.

steve82

Rangers in too. Would we really get nothing if he went there?

That's a club I feared would show interest.
Rangers did the same with Josh Windass and Matt Crooks too from Accrington last summer if I recall.

Accrington lost out on a good few quid that's invaluable investment backing a small club.

steve82

Does anyone still actually think he may still opt to stay here?

Think we've seen the last of him in a cov shirt unfortunately.

Terry Gibson's perm

That's a club I feared would show interest.
Rangers did the same with Josh Windass and Matt Crooks too from Accrington last summer if I recall.

Accrington lost out on a good few quid that's invaluable investment backing a small club.

No he won't stop.

We should have been pushing him to make his mind up sooner to stop somebody like rangers coming in, but equally who can see the money being reinvested in the playing staff anyway more likely a new for Joyless:emoji_kissing_smiling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread