Get a grip, this is a rebuilding season. (3 Viewers)

Great_Expectations

Yea the relegation battle talk is frustrating and melodramatic.

We’ve been a bit shit, players have underperformed but in reality it’s still relatively early into the season.

We may just have stumbled into a formation with accompanying tactics which suit us and there have been signs of improvement performance wise from individuals.

With a settled team and improved performances, plus the addition of the missing creative spark in January and things will look different in the new year.

baldy

We had Hamer for two games and Gyokeres was long gone by the start of the season.

I mean they were the 2 massive players that got us to the playoffs last season - I’m not on about this season plus I do know when they went ffs

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

this is in the main a very sensible post, although recently some of MR’s decisions do still cause concern

I don’t like or agree with the majority of (if not all of) the things he writes in the CET, but Andy Turner does make some valid points in this article, worth a read as it does remind you of the process and that it seems to work….
Time and two transfer windows to get Coventry City back on their upward curve

Mucca Mad Boys

That’s fine but Middlesbrough are in the same boat and look how they’re performing?

I get players need to gel but the reality is some of the new players are have been struggling to perform. For an example a striker in front of goal with a great goal scoring opportunity has to score. It has nothing to do with gelling.

I do agree this season is a right off .If we get some midfielders in Jan then mid table is as good as it will get. Until then this is a bottom half team.

The bigger issue is there will be lower crowds next season based on this one if it ends like we started. So Doug won’t be happy with lower season ticket sales.

There’s pressure all round the club for performance and results to pick up.
Middlesborough had a lot of upheaval, no doubt about that. We’ve pretty much started over completely.

5-6 loans went back to their parent clubs, 11 players released and we sold two of the best players in the division in Hamer and Gyokeres.

If we have a plan for January and can get good quality players, the season could possibly be salvaged.

Overall, I think we will be in a better position as the squad is ours and on long term contracts.

skyblu3sk

It feels like the vast majority of people have never built a team before in or out of football. When people talk about time to help it a mixture of things you are trying to achieve. As a manager you are trying to understand what makes your players tick what motivates them (never all about money) and what their ultimate aim is outside of the teams aims. That can take a surprising amount of time for people to open up depending on their characters. Next is ensuring everyone is on the same page with the vision and timeline, nothing is more demotivating than a timeline or goal you have no chance of meeting so you have to get belief and understanding. Then it's setting standards and ways of working to make things quicker and easier going forward can be silly things like on this day we do this in this way have xy and z ready by then. This takes a lot of 121 time and depending on the size of your leadership team can take longer than you think.

On top of this you will have a lot of people settling in to a new job with all the anxiety that goes with that and possibly settling in to new homes in new parts of the country building a new life. This can all take different amounts of time based on complexity. It also takes time to get through the superficial nicey nicey knowing someone in to the this bloke is my brother and completely has my back. This eventually comes through as culture in this case of the dressing room is it a jokey one or serious, how does it bounce back etc etc.

Football players are human beings it isn't just how to kick a ball from one person to another.

Saddlebrains

For me we will still be in the shit if we get a decent box to box midfielder for one simple reason

Our strikers miss chance after chance after chance

Irrelevant if you make 8 clear cut chances a game, if the blokes you've got in the team to put them away dont, then you're still fucked

I have zero confidence in them

Otis

For me we will still be in the shit if we get a decent box to box midfielder for one simple reason

Irrelevant if you make 8 clear cut chances a game, if the blokes you've got in the team to put them away dont, then you're still fucked

I wouldn't expect any less from you to be honest. 😂

Godden is missing loads too and he has proven to BE a good goal scorer.

Kingokings204

i agree mostly but then that’s down to the strikers and not robins. Robins can’t put the ball in the net for these strikers. He can set us up and organise use which we are a very well drilled team you can see that but if we miss 4 great chances a game that’s got nothing to do with robins.

look at the XG table put up by EVO. If we had taken our chances or even just a few more we would be 6th. Or certainly top half. So I agree with the strikers being the problem. It’s obvious.

Bertola

Creating more, even if they continue to convert them at the same rate, will lead to more goals though.

Simms showed last season that he can score in this league, Wright's career seems very streaky, so creating him more gives him a chance to get on a streak, and Godden can finish (although he's not showing it yet).

It'd also help if we could cut out individual errors, meaning that we're not chasing games

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

You also have our midfield that are more or less incapable of contributing to goals, and a defence that never seem to score from set plays. If your strikers are struggling, which they are at the moment, there is absolutely nobody in our squad capable of bailing them out. As I mentioned in another thread, we are a very goal-shy team. If you cannot score, it is pretty damn hard to pick up results.

skyblue025

I said at the start of the season we had a much stronger squad but a weaker team this season. Nothing so far has changed my mind on that. I guess it all comes down to your expectations for the season. Mine was mid table so still time to comfortably finish there.

TomRad85

You also have our midfield that are more or less incapable of contributing to goals, and a defence that never seem to score from set plays. If your strikers are struggling, which they are at the moment, there is absolutely nobody in our squad capable of bailing them out. As I mentioned in another thread, we are a very goal-shy team. If you cannot score, it is pretty damn hard to pick up results.
Correct. He's left himself with a very goal shy midfield.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skybluecam

I just don’t think he’s what we need. I don’t think MR thinks so either.
If we continue playing 433 then it's between him or Simms for the spot on the right surely? And while Simms is physical and sometimes can be effective through brute force I'd prefer a more technical player there, especially if Wright continues on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread