Ghosts of a vanished stadium (1 Viewer)

CovfanDan

Anyone read it? I'm upto the early 80's, pretty good read as it goes. 1st bit is a bit, well, boring as aint heard of most of the people mentioned and the £ is old school so hard to appreciate how much is what, but from 60's onwards is where i start to recognise more of the names and of games i've heard about.

Theres one bit, 50's i think where 'obscene chanting and the questioning of the referee's parentage' resulted in them asked over the tannoy for fans to stop and they could get a full refund at the gate if they wanted to leave!

Too many little bits to remember off hand but we had some cracking results didnt we.... i had always thought the Wolves game clinched the title but we still had to beat Millwall and hope Wolves lost (think it was Palace they lost to)

TheRoyalScam

Fascinating book that puts everything into perspective - from Southern League to Division 1. Some interesting photos too.

Disorganised1

I remember a game where we were singing "He's here, he's there, he's every f**king where, Ernie Hunt. Ernie Hunt." and an announcement came over the tannoy that the game would be abandoned if the swearing didn't stop. Cue 2 minutes silence followed by "He here, He's there, We're not allowed to swear, Ernie Hunt. Ernie Hunt. :p

singers_pore

Yeah, very nice book. We really should get an updated version of the entire club history - IIRC the last one was in the early 1990s.

TheSnoz

I was on the pitch just yesterday. Well parked just off the halfway line, visiting somebody. First time I've driven up there in years. It felt very odd I can tell you. There is a gap in housing where the old main stand ended and you could see the town centre and down King Richard Street. Curious feeling having spent from the late 1950s to when we moved watching my team. Why aren't the roads named after Clarrie Bourton, George Curtis, George Hudson, Ernie Hunt, Jimmy Hill etc? Where is the sign telling people in the future that for a hundred years our ground was there? What are the council playing at? Good book by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread