Global Recognition (1 Viewer)

bigfatronssba

The PL has changed a lot since we were last there. In many ways the Championship is the equivalent of the PL when I was growing up in the 90s.

One of the big differences is the global interest.

We're now (perhaps only temporarily) part of that. Type "Coventry" into the search bar on Twitter and you see comments about us from all over the world.

Most of it is really patronising stuff about us and Luton (the PL fans in the far east haven't heard of either of us before it seems)

But it really does show what we've achieved. We're about to take part in one of the most important football tournaments in the world. Football fans across the world will be watching us on Sunday

Bugsy

Let's put on a fucking massive show and get the CBS rocking on Sunday...PUSB

Jonny Barton

Its true we aren't very well known here in SE Asia, its all about the Premiership. You see Everton, West Ham, Leicester shirts around and obviously thousands of Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea. Even saw a Villa shirt once.

Having said that I bumped into a local a guy at the supermarket last week in an old Le Coq Sportif training top from the mid 90s! Turns out he was at Cov Uni back then. I said I'd buy him a new one! When I flew back for the League 2 play off final the immigration guy at KL airport asked if I was going back to watch Coventry in the play off final.

It's the younger ones who have never really heard of us.

slowpoke

The big boys in England have always had big global support going back pre- prem nothing new there.

Jonny Barton

The big boys in England have always had big global support going back pre- prem nothing new there.
Interest in football is a different level now from what I've seen, compared to when I first visited over here in the 90s. The coverage is wall to wall on the TV. The shirt sales are crazy, the shirts for the club Ronaldo is at are everywhere now. Very odd seeing a Leicester club shop in Bangkok airport!

Obviously the internet and Youtube is a big difference between then and now too.

Happy_Martian

Already witnessed the ignorance and general elitism shown by fans from abroad. In the Have Your Say section of the BBC site's Boro v Cov report, a couple of unenlightened individuals have moaned about the Prem being diminished by allowing teams like Cov and Luton in with their poor and unknown players. You can tell they've only started watching English football recently where the media coverage and hype is focussed primarily on about 20 clubs from the list of thousands.

And I just don't have the mental strength to try and argue back with facts. It'd be like a broken pencil. Pointless.

Robinshio

Already witnessed the ignorance and general elitism shown by fans from abroad. In the Have Your Say section of the BBC site's Boro v Cov report, a couple of unenlightened individuals have moaned about the Prem being diminished by allowing teams like Cov and Luton in with their poor and unknown players. You can tell they've only started watching English football recently where the media coverage and hype is focussed primarily on about 20 clubs from the list of thousands.

And I just don't have the mental strength to try and argue back with facts. It'd be like a broken pencil. Pointless.
agree when its full of big teams like bournemouth brentford brighton and fulham

Brighton Sky Blue

We haven’t been in it for 22 years.

TewkesburySkyBlue

Its true we aren't very well known here in SE Asia, its all about the Premiership. You see Everton, West Ham, Leicester shirts around and obviously thousands of Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea. Even saw a Villa shirt once.

Having said that I bumped into a local a guy at the supermarket last week in an old Le Coq Sportif training top from the mid 90s! Turns out he was at Cov Uni back then. I said I'd buy him a new one! When I flew back for the League 2 play off final the immigration guy at KL airport asked if I was going back to watch Coventry in the play off final.

It's the younger ones who have never really heard of us.
I was in Greece on business years ago Got talking about football to a supplier who asked who I supported. I told him Coventry. He said 'Oh the Blue Skies' :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread