Greyfriars Lane development (1 Viewer)

Otis

I'm a bit confused.

I always follow any Coventry city centre developments with interest, but this one has me baffled.

JS31851389.jpg

Here's Greyfriars Lane. Nat West bank to the left, Lloyd's to the right.

Plan is to make it a gateway to the cathedral quarter. Trying to make it like Carnaby St with bunting and outdoor seating for cafes etc.

Trouble is, the work is starting in October and it says they are moving the taxi rank there temporarily into Pepper Lane (back of Wilko's). Once the work is completed the taxi rank will move back to Greyfriars Lane.

So, where is the room for cafe seating? Isn't it just going to be a taxi rank with bunting? Unless they pedestrianise the road I just don't get it and even if they did do that it is quite a narrow road. A gateway to a tripping hazard perhaps? What café's? There's just one tiny little place there isn't there and the other buildings occupied?

All for improving the city (there are plans to build more restaurants at the back of Wilko's facing the cathedral (basically next door to the Establishment), but this seems a little odd .

Who walks up that way from New Union St anyway? I used to work in New Union St and that road through to Broadgate was always dead.

Maybe I am missing something.

fernandopartridge

Nice idea. If they can make Pepper Lane into something better than a service area then good. I am a bit flummoxed about Greyfriars Lane though, it is a dead street with large blank walls, lighting schemes won't change that.

Otis

Nice idea. If they can make Pepper Lane into something better than a service area then good. I am a bit flummoxed about Greyfriars Lane though, it is a dead street with large blank walls, lighting schemes won't change that.
Yup. Not the nicest of little streets to walk down at the best of times and the architecture around there is dull modern brick.

I don't get it. Leave it alone as a back alley and spend the money elsewhere.

Am looking forwards to the restaurants at the back of Wilko's though. That will then have the Establishment, Bayley Lane Kitchen, Playwright's, plus the two new restaurants. Am hoping they don't go for chains and focus on the independent.

The article also said they were moving the Coventry Cross and I immediately thought WTF!!! It's a 15th or 16th century building, they can't do that. But then I realised they don't mean the pub, they mean the monument at the back of Wilko's. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread