Gunnar Stay or Gunnar Go? (1 Viewer)

RansonRarrr

In the Cov Tel this morning it says Gunnar has rejected the contract offered to him by Coventry and has come back with his own demands.

His agent said many other big clubs are interested in him and he feels Coventry haven't offered what he's worth.

He also says that he has been played at many different positions and it's not good for a young player to be switching position all the time.

He then goes on to say If the club demand a deadline for Aaron to make a decision then they'll walk away.

His agent said over the years there's been instability at Cov due to chairman going and new managers,

Aron is quoted saying he likes working with Andy Thorn and he thinks he will take the club forward.

Sorry I'm on my iPhone so can't post the link.

BurbageSkyBlues

Would be a shame to lose him, but he's not irreplaceable.

If his heart were in it, he'd play anywhere. Could you imagine Paul Scholes making that excuse?

A player with the right attitude is worth his weight.

Gunnar go........

fanta80

Let him go. He certainly isnt worth breaking the bank for and we had to wait this long for him to decide it wasnt good enough!

bamalamafizzfazz

Love the thread title. I can appreciate where they are coming from, the club is not in the best position in terms of stability at present. Once again though another day passes with no real news from the club, they have just expanded on the same story that was in yesterday's paper. Come on City forget the old and look to the new!

Covstu

I certainly would not break the bank for him, he is a decnt player but not a world beater.

mattylad

they are bluffing if he had other big clubs lined up he would be gone already! Watch for him turning up at watford or derby

skybluesteve76

Sorry Gunnar but you ain't holding the club to ransom! Personally I'd miss him but certainly not irreplaceable. As for big clubs?? That's just talk, I agree he'd have gone already if that was the case. So long Gunnar.

Gray

another agent holding us to ransom, your not as good as you think you are Gunnarson so off to Germany or Holland to keep the bench warm!

CovScott88

I would be disappointed to see Gunnar go, as I think he could develop into a quality player, but we can't go breaking the bank for him.
He is replaceable, but in terms of the free transfers available, I'm not sure there's too much out there. Hopefully all parties can come to some form of agreement and we can get him signed up.

tippex9

Firstly, I'm a big fan of his but I agree with every post above. Not worth breaking the bank for, not irreplaceable and will definately move sideways to a club.

Sadly another player who tries to mug us off with comments like "I love the fans" & "this is where I like to stay"

On your way son, you can't even break into the Icelandic national side after being in under-21s since before you went Sky Blue. Another player who's falling for the big fish/small pond illusion.

covcity4life

yeh i agree withg eneral consensus, hope he stays but not worth breaking the bank for

give him extra 1-2k a week i guess considering king and westy are going,but we got new players to come too dont forget

Chipfat

The agent is taking the piss and trying to force the clubs hand,, if i was AT id tell them to go get him another contract and have it in writing before trying to hold the club to ransom.

As for Gunny if he doesnt want to stay goodbye and good luck another one will walk in. as no player is bigger than the club....

Marty

we aren't offering what hes worth :confused: hes been absoutly dreadful for the past 2 season, he should count himself lucky that he was even offered a contract, The agent is bluffing with the 'big clubs', if there were really any big clubs after him, then he would have already gone.

rob9872

If he goes there will be trouble and if he stays it will be double

bamalamafizzfazz

You cannot actually believe that Deegan is a worthy replacement for a player who played most games for the club last season. A lot of people talk about Deegan saying how brilliant he is but if that's the case I must have seen the wrong player or a different game as from what I remember he was behind the pace and lacking quality. I hope to be proved wrong but I have my doubts that he can do a job consistently and injury free.

TheRoyalScam

Let's hope Aron's not reading this thread! By the way, he's a current full international with 22 caps - he played as one of the over-age players in the recent U-21 tournament. We seem to be forgetting that he's still only 22 and can improve as a player over the next 5 years or so. I would be sorry to see him go - the younger players [i.e. Gunnarsson, Jutkiewicz, Hussey, Clarke, Cameron] could really flourish together in this team. The more they play together as a unit, the better the whole team becomes.

CovScott88

You cannot actually believe that Deegan is a worthy replacement for a player who played most games for the club last season. A lot of people talk about Deegan saying how brilliant he is but if that's the case I must have seen the wrong player or a different game as from what I remember he was behind the pace and lacking quality. I hope to be proved wrong but I have my doubts that he can do a job consistently and injury free.

I'd agree with that Bam. I think there is the perception that because he works hard and puts himself about, that he is suddenly a quality player.
He certainly didn't impress me too much when I've seen him. He is an ok player currently, who could definitely get better, but I don't think he is as good as some people make out. That's just my opinion though, no more/less valid than anyone else's.

Kuklinski

I haven't seen enough of Deegan to know whether he'll make the grade or not? However, the minute I hear players with nicknames like "Pitbull" I fear they will be the type who have plenty of effort but lacking in ability.

Time will tell.

CovScott88

Deegan just reminds me of a younger version of Michael Doyle. Gives his all and is incredibly determined, yet just lacks the required quality.
I would love to be proved wrong though.

rob9872

I can understand the Deegan/Doyle comparisons. They are both Irish, short hair, aggressive playing styles and play the same position scoring the odd goal, but where Deegan comes out on top imo is that he looks to have a little more pace, doesn't get rid of the ball like it's a ticking time bomb and can pass better.

My concern is that although he likes to get more forward I still see him more in the holding role or as part of a 4-42 which we no longer deploy and I would of couse rather have Clingan in that spot. I'm hopeful that with a decent pre-season and extended run that Baker can train on into one of the more offensive positions. We have options with Bell and Sheff but definitely need a quality addition in that area.

My wish list (a realistic one or I would go for more :) ) if I could take three players would be an attacking midfielder, a goal-scoring striker and a goalkeeper.

We seem to have a few reasonable shouts for a keeper with Murphy looking the most plausible but I hope AT has identified affordable options that we have yet to mention as I'm not massively encouraged by any of the realistic options for the other two spots.

Users who are viewing this thread