Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (4 Viewers)

Cally Fedora

There are lots of factors in the fee. We’d just sold Gyokeres for £20m. No one was coming here cheap after that. Robins was probably looking at pay up or get no one. As fans we’re not conditioned to feed. I cast my mind back 3-4 seasons and remember being delighted we’d paid for someone. I’d say Simms is more of a gamble - doesn’t really move like a footballer. Wright does which is why i think he’ll come good.

shmmeee

There are lots of factors in the fee. We’d just sold Gyokeres for £20m. No one was coming here cheap after that. Robins was probably looking at pay up or get no one. As fans we’re not conditioned to feed. I cast my mind back 3-4 seasons and remember being delighted we’d paid for someone. I’d say Simms is more of a gamble - doesn’t really move like a footballer. Wright does which is why i think he’ll come good.

Simms has all the attributes, just doesn’t seem like he knows what to do with them

Chris1987

I remain optimistic that Wright and Simms will be a great striker partnership. Wright appears to very much be a confidence player and it appears that he is taking time to adapt to the intensity of The Championship. In my mind he definitely has the ability and makes intelligent runs off the ball. I think that he will be fully effective at this level and I believe the same applies to Simms. Time for him to replace Godden and give the 2 of them a run in the side under this formation.

AOM

He's trying too hard to score, just needs a goal certainly at home to try and settle him down.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah, seems desperate for a goal and that clouds his judgement when it's better to play someone else in to have a better opportunity.

Seems to have a great shot on him, but it's been getting it on target that's been the problem at times so far.
At some point, he's going to score a rocket

SBAndy

Yeah, seems desperate for a goal and that clouds his judgement when it's better to play someone else in to have a better opportunity.

Seems to have a great shot on him, but it's been getting it on target that's been the problem at times so far.

Very strange shooting action. Not very subtle at all.

Hertsccfc

How is it a great shot if it's not on target? I guess you are saying he hits it hard? As such that is not too valuable.

AOM

How is it a great shot if it's not on target? I guess you are saying he hits it hard? As such that is not too valuable.

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm saying pretty much. It looks like he has a good technique, but there's probably pressure on at the moment which is why he's snatching at shots.
Appreciate some of the goals are from lower leagues, but he's had chances in similar positions for other teams and they've been great goals

False9

He has the best xG per 90 in the whole division. His movement is clearly very very good.

Work on his first touch and his finishing and we'll flip him for double in 2 years.

Yes. And if you look at his npXG over the last 5 games he is averaging over 1 which is just madness.

Evo1883

Gyokeres is / was levels above anybody we currently have here .. not sure why everybody keeps making the comparison ..

Vik had a mediocre 12 games and everybody talks like he took half a season to start playing , he was immense from the first kick the season after we purchased him and stayed immense for 2 years , different type of forward and the best we've had for 20 odd years

fernandopartridge

Gyokeres is / was levels above anybody we currently have here .. not sure why everybody keeps making the comparison ..

Vik had a mediocre 12 games and everybody talks like he took half a season to start playing , he was immense from the first kick the season after we purchased him and stayed immense for 2 years

He had barren spells in both seasons mind, 13 league games without scoring between October and January in 21/22. 8 league games without scoring in the middle of last season. I think people have forgotten these.

pusbccfc

Vik had a mediocre 12 games and everybody talks like he took half a season to start playing , he was immense from the first kick the season after we purchased him and stayed immense for 2 years , different type of forward and the best we've had for 20 odd years

Absolutely but Vik wasn't perfect either. He missed plenty of chances.

That one at Burnley still haunts me.

NorthernWisdom

It's because he started so slowly that the comparison is made. tbf it was half a season after we signed him on loan where he was no great shakes.

I don't think anybody expects Wright to be as good, if he got halfway there he'd be a success, but it's more to point out not to jump the gun and Gyokeres is by far the most obvious example of that we've ever had, really. Even those who thought we should sign him probably didn't expect him to become as immense as he did. I suspect Robins didn't either, and expected to be rotating the strikers far more than he did in the end.

steve cooper

He had barren spells in both seasons mind, 13 league games without scoring between October and January in 21/22. 8 league games without scoring in the middle of last season. I think people have forgotten these.
In his last 12 games last season, including the playoffs, Vik scored a penalty against Birmingham and got 2 against QPR. That was it.

Last edited:

skybluecam

The comparison is because he wasn’t levels above in his first season, that only came later.

Wright has objectively had a better start to his city career.

Evo1883

The comparison is because he wasn’t levels above in his first season, that only came later.

Wright has objectively had a better start to his city career.

vik played less minutes in his first half season than wright did .. wright is already beyond viks playtime ..vik also was taken out of the side and put into the u21s .

point is they are different types of forwards , and wright will never be as good as vik

Last edited:

calibrase6

Wright is a fantastic signing who will tear this league apart once he settled down. He is actually a level ahead of the rest of the players and at the moment is making runs they just aren't seeing. If Hamer was here Wright would already be top scorer in the league arguably, or 2nd behind Godden. Have patience!!
Simms will be a slower burn, but he is also a top quality player in the making. That said we do need similar aged players competing with Simms and Wright for starting spots moving forward, as Godden obviously wont be able to play at the highest level for more than a couple of seasons given his age.
The squad is short of around 5 players to be properly challenging teams with premier league parachute payments. Have faith though, the management team do know what they are doing.

skybluecam

vik played less minutes in his first half season than wright did .. wright is already beyond viks playtime ..vik also was taken out of the side and put into the u21s .

point is they are different types of forwards , and wright will never be as good as vik
He played less because he wasn't getting in the team on merit. With a significantly weaker squad too.

Users who are viewing this thread