HAMER: BEST MIDFIELDER IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Has for been for 3 years now.

ProfessorbyGrace

Truth be told, whenever I’ve seen him play, he just stands out a mile with his energy, closing down, awareness, tactical ability, passing and those incredible bursts forward.

I felt for a while he was a bit wasted here, but it’s coming together, with Gus himself as almost an irreplaceable element.

I do hope he stays another year at least.

Yank

Dude is superb, just makes it look easy out there. More than good enough for the Premier League and such an important part of this team. My favorite Sky Blue since Jay Tabb.

The Philosopher

The speed and energy and determination that he showed yesterday to get back and put pressure on for that “nailed on” Blackpool non-penalty was incredible. Having watched it back, not sure that Wilson get his foot to that ball and Hamer did commit much of a foul (what does anyone else think?). Nonetheless, the Ref opinion was no-penalty and no goal. Things may have turned so different.

My point is, possible foul or not, covering so much ground to try to cover and defend isn’t something I’ve seen many midfielders do. We’ve had so many players that would have stood with hands on hips and done some pointing rather than chase a lost cause.

Hamer has been brilliant of late.

It may sound strange, but it’s almost a relief that he’s not eligible to play for a “lesser” international team (I guess he’s eligible for Brazil and Netherlands) and he can have a break and have less chance of injury.

Dreaming on, how cool would it be if we did scrape playoffs, get in Prem, Gus gets called up and plays in next WC for the Dutch (Brazil I can’t see). Are we allowed to dare to dream yet? Has Robins given us permission to?

Last edited:

Marty

I actually agree, I think he's fantastic, brings so much energy to the side, seems to be everywhere at the moment, I hope we can start getting the stars signed up to long deals otherwise we could go the way of Huddersfield.

Reactions: vow

Brighton Sky Blue

The 4th goal is basically his, harrying down a misplaced pass that the defender should still reach first then picking out his teammate with pinpoint accuracy.

Samoan Joe’s loss is our gain

Sky Blue Pete

The speed and energy and determination that he showed yesterday to get back and put pressure on for that “nailed on” Blackpool non-penalty was incredible. Having watched it back, not sure that Wilson get his foot to that ball and Hamer did commit much of a foul (what does anyone else think). Nonetheless, the Ref opinion was no-penalty and no goal. Things may have turned so different.

My point is, possible foul or not, covering so much ground to try to cover and defend isn’t something I’ve seen many midfielders do. We’ve had so many players that would have stood with hands on hips and done some pointing rather than chase a lost cause.

Hamer has been brilliant of late.

It may sound strange, but it’s almost a relief that he’s not eligible to play for a “lesser” international team (I guess he’s eligible for Brazil and Netherlands) and he can have a break and have less chance of injury.

Dreaming on, how cool would it be if we did scrape playoffs, get in Prem, Gus gets called up and plays in next WC for the Dutch (Brazil I can’t see). Are we allowed to dare to dream yet? Has Robins given us permission to?
Robins says you have to

Sky Blue Pete

I actually agree, I think he's fantastic, brings so much energy to the side, seems to be everywhere at the moment, I hope we can start getting the stars signed up to long deals otherwise we could go the way of Huddersfield.
And Barnsley before them

Reactions: vow

Esoterica

It’s not just his energy though, his real X factor is his speed of progressive pass. No one else in our squad would play the pass he played to Walker yesterday when Walker was brought down on the edge of the box and their player went off injured. He drilled it 25 metres along the floor into Walker’s feet, bypassing Vik who had come shorter for the ball. It caught the whole Blackpool defence off guard because it wasn’t the expected next pass in the build up.

clint van damme

The Birmingham sending off was a blessing in disguise.
He's worked hard to eradicate some of the silliness from his game since then and just concentrate on his football.

The defensive side of his game is excellent

The Philosopher

The 4th goal is basically his, harrying down a misplaced pass that the defender should still reach first then picking out his teammate with pinpoint accuracy.

Samoan Joe’s loss is our gain
Exactly, the chasing down and pressing and hurrying opposition defenders is key to our game. We’ve seen Gus do this a few times and create clear opportunities as a result.

For all of his weak points, Jamie Allen did chase well. Sheaf does so albeit from a deeper role. Palmer started off here not doing so much, but did do more so as time went on. MaGuire doesn’t seem to have that in his locker at them moment.

Some fans criticise other fans who support players who “run around like headless chickens”. Personally, I think that players who do the extra run to pressurise a keeper or defender or chase between opponents is something we will see more of. 5 subs means (with a bigger squad of course) you can get a player to really press all game knowing you can put fresh legs on if need be.

Walker, for example, might have been told that he didn’t need to conserve energy and should run channels and chase and press yesterday. The result was a fresh legged Godden on to do his job against more worn out defenders. (Even though Blackpool made 6 subs. I wonder if that becomes a thing? First sub you make should go down and hold his head so you can make an extra sub later if need be? Who knows).

Edit: note to Robins. Play off final, we might need to play 120 mins plus. Make sure first or second sub is concussion sub so we have an extra option late on. I’ll stop dreaming now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread