Hard men of the 60's and 70's (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

Apparently , Justin Fashanu was often known to be hard .

rupert_bear

Some very tough uncompromising players that never got the "hard" man tag, Brian Lewis, Chris Cattlin, Peter Hindley, Jeff Blockley, Lloyd McGrath all come to mind.

Senior Vick from Alicante

I don't know about hard man but I can always remember Alan Dugdale. You new he would always launch himself from 10 ft away and go straight through the back of the opposition, don't think he was particularly hard just plain dirty. Big Mo Konjik would have to be the modern one.

Bob Latchford

For someone who just recently made a colossal fool of himself you are doing yourself no favours with posts like that
I'm not looking for any favours and , it's open to opinion if i've made myself look a fool ? i strongly suspect many agree with me but , wouldn't say it .

Samo

I'm not looking for any favours and , it's open to opinion if i've made myself look a fool ? i strongly suspect many agree with me but , wouldn't say it .

Then why did you apologize?
And can I ask what prompted you to mention a gay player on this thread? Why would he be 'hard' more often than anyone else? (if that was the joke you were making)

armybike

I don't agree with you and you did make a fool of yourself with the comment.

Bob Latchford

Hobo

Andy Lockhead, David Hockey, Nobby Styles, Dave Mackay, Ray Stewart, Sam Allardyce, Tommy Smith, Graeme Souness, David Webb, Stuart Pearce, Ron Harris, Billy Bremner.....Eric Cantona and Messi were never afraid either.

Hobo

Don't under estimate Aston Villa''s centre backs that won the European Cup...Allan Evans and Ken McNaught...hard as nails and would not be pushed around..

phildownunder

If City needed a specific marking job done in the 60s it was often given to Brian Hill. He was often under-rated but was a very capable player and few got the better of him in such situations.

Totally agree. I wouldn`t describe him as a hard man, but as you say he was an excellent man marker. I remember (just) one particular game v Peterborough at HR when Derek Dougan was giving Curtis a torrid time with his pace and causing real problems for us every time he got the ball. JH made a switch giving Brian the marking job and that was the end of Dougan`s contribution to the game.
That sort of thing was typical of his defensive play. He always got on with the job with the minimum of fuss and was one of my favourite players during the JH era. Because of his unassuming nature I think he was something of an unsung hero but his contribution was an important part of City`s success. Every team needs a Brian Hill type.

skyblueinBaku

Totally agree. I wouldn`t describe him as a hard man, but as you say he was an excellent man marker. I remember (just) one particular game v Peterborough at HR when Derek Dougan was giving Curtis a torrid time with his pace and causing real problems for us every time he got the ball. JH made a switch giving Brian the marking job and that was the end of Dougan`s contribution to the game.
That sort of thing was typical of his defensive play. He always got on with the job with the minimum of fuss and was one of my favourite players during the JH era. Because of his unassuming nature I think he was something of an unsung hero but his contribution was an important part of City`s success. Every team needs a Brian Hill type.

I liked BH. He was a really solid, dependable player.

ps1948

My favourite "hard-man" moment was when Donal Murphy kicked nasty Kenny Burns up in the air, then walked off down the tunnel knowing he would be sent off. At least that's how I recall it happening.....

Samo

Perhaps Bob has a public confession to make?
Or maybe he knows something about erectile dysfunction & the other people mentioned?

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Bob is a coward and prone to casual homophobia.

Users who are viewing this thread