Harry Maguire (2 Viewers)

ptr

The biggest worry with Southgate is his inability to get the best out of Foden. That might be more of an issue with Foden himself but regardless…can’t have a player of his ability go missing for 90 mins.

rob9872

Kane and Saka showed how important they are to the side by not playing tonight.

With Maguire, I wouldn't start him, but genuinely don't have many decent cb options. Stones is class, but often steps into Midfield for Man City. I don't mind that, but all options alongside would really see England exposed. Possibly Walker in a 3 for his pace, meaning Stones could step out with Trent as a wingback. Means a bit of a box though which doesn't get the best from Bellingham who is so important. Tough call tbh.

Briles

Makes me laugh because numerous top level professional international and club level coaches see him good enough to play for club and country and watch him week in week out. Then we get casual England fans who just go “nah he’s shit”

ok then 😂

Cov kid 55

Just out of interest, how on earth does Southgate not start Maddison or even bring him on from the bench? The one player in that squad who can pick the pass that opens up a defence, and he leaves him out. Did Maddison have an injury niggle?

Briles

He wasn't great, but Lewis Dunk was so much worse. He shouldn't be getting anywhere near the Euros squad.

we are actually struggling for CBS at international level now. We always had one player who was a guaranteed starter. Campbell, Terry, Ferdinand etc. we are light at left back and CDM too. In forward positions we are blessed but defensively (especially if we don’t have walker) we aren’t great.

SBT

Maguire is a symptom rather than a cause of England’s problems. It’s been years now of people moaning about how he’s not good enough, and yet still no-one can settle on who the replacement should be. It’s a dire landscape in that position, and not the only one either.

Winny the Bish

we are actually struggling for CBS at international level now. We always had one player who was a guaranteed starter. Campbell, Terry, Ferdinand etc. we are light at left back and CDM too. In forward positions we are blessed but defensively (especially if we don’t have walker) we aren’t great.
Shaw being injured is a massive blow. He’s so underrated. And it’s a big shame Colwill hasn’t kicked on this season, he’s talented but Poch doesn’t know what he’s doing with him. Branthwaite looks good too but it’s a tournament too soon for him.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Play in the premier league....football doesn't exist outside it.

Whether you rate him or not, and he's a bit old now, Chris Smalling is in his 5th season at Roma, but hasnt played for England since 2017.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I’ve often thought this is a shame given there’s a lot of talent in our league, and overseas that gets ignored (obviously Bellingham being the main exception, well and Jordan Henderson for some reason).

messiahrobins

TBH this is a weak Brazil side and England will never win anything under Southgate. The way England play I actually beleive the mighty Sky Blues could beat them. Foden goes missing in an England shirt - why is that? There are some far better players Southgate could pick too. It's poor. Gallagher, not at this level. Surprising good debut from Gordon. Chilwell is garbage. Bidders would do better. henderson still in the squad tells you everything. Bored, can't wait for these Int Breaks to be over!
That Brazil side will win the world cup in 2 years time, the potential is there for all to see and much like the Sky Blues they are a young team developing.They look far better without Thiago Silva, Neymar and Casemiro.
England have one world class player in Bellignham. Foden is top draw but is better centrally. other than that England are very average talent wise an thats because of all the foreigners in the PL.

messiahrobins

If we had pep from Man City we would win games like this with the talent we have. It's incompetence from the FA not to see how we are a decent manager away from something significant.
Southgate unites the squad and for that he deserves credit but his record against the top teams in world football is concerning.
England are overrated. They just got beat by the Brazil youth team, albeit i expect Brazil to win the world cup in 2 years time as their youth players look outstanding.
Bellingham is the only world class player.

Matt smith

Play in the premier league....football doesn't exist outside it.

Whether you rate him or not, and he's a bit old now, Chris Smalling is in his 5th season at Roma, but hasnt played for England since 2017.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
He’s 26 😂

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Makes me laugh because numerous top level professional international and club level coaches see him good enough to play for club and country and watch him week in week out. Then we get casual England fans who just go “nah he’s shit”

ok then 😂

so you’re saying football fans aren’t allowed to have opinions?

What about journalists and pundits?

Maguire obviously has enough about him to have made it as far as he has, but most if not all have criticised him for being poor for Utd, and recently also for England - are they all wrong?

ccfc1234

England are overrated. They just got beat by the Brazil youth team, albeit i expect Brazil to win the world cup in 2 years time as their youth players look outstanding.
Bellingham is the only world class player.
I would add Kane, Foden and maybe Walker to that list and a couple more of the squad are close to being in that company.

How do you define world class? Be interested to see what you would class as your world 11 team.

Briles

I would add Kane, Foden and maybe Walker to that list and a couple more of the squad are close to being in that company.

How do you define world class? Be interested to see what you would class as your world 11 team.

kane foden and walker are world class. As is Bellingham. Rice and Saka not far off. All of those would walk into nearly all international or club teams

Briles

The Maguire shite is so boring. Just a load of people hopping on the bandwagon and making out he’s a lot worse than he actually is just because it’s the fashionable opinion to have. He’d obviously walk into our team, Christ.
Exactly this. It’s a weird compulsion people have. We see it within our own fans too about our players. There has to be 1 scapegoat if we don’t win

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

The Maguire shite is so boring. Just a load of people hopping on the bandwagon and making out he’s a lot worse than he actually is just because it’s the fashionable opinion to have. He’d obviously walk into our team, Christ.

I disagree, I don’t care what others say, he is too slow to play in most teams, doesn’t read the game well at all and he is prone to too many mistakes, plus he dwells too long on the ball and often plays shocking passes as a result

not only that, but his attitude is always to blame others - it’s more often the case it’s his fault

I also don’t agree that he’d walk into our team, I wouldn’t swap Thomas or Kitching for him

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong, it’s my opinion and I’ve watched a lot of Maguire particularly this season

messiahrobins

I think now there are very few world class players but currently id say as follows in a 4-2-3-1

Courtois
Kimmich Militao Dias Mendy
Tchouameni De Bruyne
Rodrygo Bellingham Mbappe
Haaland

Vinicius is obviously world class but he is not at Mbappes level and they play in the same position. Walker v Kimmich i struggled with but i have just given it to Kimmich.

ccfc1234

I think now there are very few world class players but currently id say as follows in a 4-2-3-1

Courtois
Tchouameni De Bruyne
Haaland

Vinicius is obviously world class but he is not at Mbappes level and they play in the same position. Walker v Kimmich i struggled with but i have just given it to Kimmich.
Some marginal calls and I think Foden gets in that team and with a 2 up front formation so does Kane. The wider point is England have talent that gets into most national team 11s and for me Southgate setting England up not to lose actually is a huge part of the team not fulfilling its potential.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Courtois
Tchouameni De Bruyne
Haaland

Ederson or Alisson?
Kane or Messi?
Camavinga?
Theo Hernandez?
Rodri?

All world class, all could deserve a spot?

ptr

Exactly this. It’s a weird compulsion people have. We see it within our own fans too about our players. There has to be 1 scapegoat if we don’t win
Maguire has been superb in tournaments.

The people that moan about him are the same people that would rather someone like Lewis Dunk played.

messiahrobins

Some marginal calls and I think Foden gets in that team and with a 2 up front formation so does Kane. The wider point is England have talent that gets into most national team 11s and for me Southgate setting England up not to lose actually is a huge part of the team not fulfilling its potential.
So how would you set your 11 up?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Maguire has been superb in tournaments.

The people that moan about him are the same people that would rather someone like Lewis Dunk played.

Yeah I agree with this, weirdly Maguire has been a different player in an England jersey up until the last few internationals, where it looks like he’s let the criticism get to him

messiahrobins

Ederson or Alisson?
Kane or Messi?
Camavinga?
Theo Hernandez?
Rodri?

All world class, all could deserve a spot?
Messi is no longer world class as he plays in a pub league, same with Ronaldo. Allison is past it now and has been for a couple of years and Ederson i feel is overrated.
Kane i dont think can do it under the highest pressure, I'll never forgive his open goal miss v Croatia in Russia when we were 1-0 up or the penalty miss v France 2 years ago which was worse than Dabo's!
Camavinga is very close, just went for De Bruyne but yes Camavinga could easily get that spot. Hernandez yes as well. Rodri another good shout but just think Tchoumeni is bit more mobile. Valverde id say isnt far off either.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Messi is no longer world class as he plays in a pub league, same with Ronaldo. Allison is past it now and has been for a couple of years and Ederson i feel is overrated.
Kane i dont think can do it under the highest pressure, I'll never forgive his open goal miss v Croatia in Russia when we were 1-0 up or the penalty miss v France 2 years ago which was worse than Dabo's!
Camavinga is very close, just went for De Bruyne but yes Camavinga could easily get that spot. Hernandez yes as well. Rodri another good shout but just think Tchoumeni is bit more mobile. Valverde id say isnt far off either.

fair, although I’d still argue Messi is up there despite where he’s currently playing

Mucca Mad Boys

This forum loves an excuse to go into meltdown. It’s a friendly and both teams played weakened sides.

The two obvious concerns for

Courtois
Tchouameni De Bruyne
Haaland

Would Real Madrid fans consider Rodrygo a better player than Vini? Absolutely not.

Users who are viewing this thread