Have we lost mentality? (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Over the years we've thrived on being the underdog. The brave team who disrupt expectations, team and fans in unison, backs against the wall and come out fighting

With the money spent has this changed? Are expectations now unnecessarily high? Or should we be easily top 6 considering we've spent 20 million with more to come in Jan?

Yes we lost the 2 best players in the league granted, but I just kind of feel a bit 'meh'. Are we meant to be a possession based side? A side who utilises the wings? Soak up pressure but then attack in 5 -10 minute waves?

Just all a bit disenchanting I feel at the moment, I actually miss being the plucky underdog

Balli001

Over the years we've thrived on being the underdog. The brave team who disrupt expectations, team and fans in unison, backs against the wall and come out fighting

With the money spent has this changed? Are expectations now unnecessarily high? Or should we be easily top 6 considering we've spent 20 million with more to come in Jan?

Yes we lost the 2 best players in the league granted, but I just kind of feel a bit 'meh'. Are we meant to be a possession based side? A side who utilises the wings? Soak up pressure but then attack in 5 -10 minute waves?

Just all a bit disenchanting I feel at the moment, I actually miss being the plucky underdog
We have lost several points from winning positions this season. Frustrating but we were good enough to be in the leads. Even yesterday 1 of those goes in we most likely go on to win and are 7th in the table. I don't feel we are too far away with a full strength side

Brighton Sky Blue

We have lost several points from winning positions this season. Frustrating but we were good enough to be in the leads. Even yesterday 1 of those goes in we most likely go on to win and are 7th in the table. I don't feel we are too far away with a full strength side
You can see why we never win when conceding first though. The opposition get set, we play painfully slowly and can’t break anyone down.

Questioning why we bought tickets to PNE to be honest

Bristol sky blue

It is frustrating but progress is being made, I reckon. Scoreline wise, we have not been beaten by more than one goal all season i.e. we have been in contention in every game. That said, it was worrying that MR basically admitted we were screwed when Bristol changed formation and brought on Knight yesterday - our inability to bring in that extra midfielder in the summer is hurting us ATM.

SBT

A lot of cliches to unpack in the opening paragraph, but tbh I think this team could do with a bit more arrogance and a bit less of an underdog mentality. Gyokeres seemed like a total bastard to play with (and against) whereas Wright and Simms just seem unwilling or unable to be the alpha dog that every team needs.

Brighton Sky Blue

For the points, surely
Confused Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

Esoterica

Everyone knew it was going to be a massive rebuild this year. The money spent, the play off final and the loss of our 2 best players and fan’s favourites is clouding that in the here and now. The cluster fuck of shirt delivery and matches being moved for tv is adding to that.

The rebuild is not yet complete though. We still miss the Hamer replacement, Fadz needs phasing out this season and, it will rub people up the wrong way, but there’s a lot of players that need to bed in to our system and that will take various lengths of time depending on the player and their role. This season will be underwhelming compared to last year but I believe we’ll be much stronger for it next year. Our recent progression over the last 5 years has been very linear, it doesn’t usually work like that in football.

SkyblueTexan

Everyone knew it was going to be a massive rebuild this year. The money spent, the play off final and the loss of our 2 best players and fan’s favourites is clouding that in the here and now. The cluster fuck of shirt delivery and matches being moved for tv is adding to that.

The rebuild is not yet complete though. We still miss the Hamer replacement, Fadz needs phasing out this season and, it will rub people up the wrong way, but there’s a lot of players that need to bed in to our system and that will take various lengths of time depending on the player and their role. This season will be underwhelming compared to last year but I believe we’ll be much stronger for it next year. Our recent progression over the last 5 years has been very linear, it doesn’t usually work like that in football.
Hope we don’t get relegated

CCFCSteve

So much is down to confidence. The chopping and changing cos of injuries really hasn’t helped, especially with half a new team. Hopefully the first 30 mins yesterday showed what is possible. We do need Allen and ohare back though and new addition or two in Jan. This was always going to be a transition season unless we were lucky with injuries and everyone hitting the ground running

Also we’ll have a bit of a target on our backs. Teams will approach us differently etc. like last season with pitch problems I’m willing to give it until Xmas/NY to see where we are/how we’re doing before judging

AiS86

The money spent has raised expectations too high, once we lost Gyokeres and Hamer, the main core in terms of goals and creativity, we were never going to be the same. It's creativity we're lacking at the minute, O'Hares return and some January signings to fill that void and we'll be fine.

covboy9

The squad is best it’s been for a long long time

I still think their is a slight hangover from last season and the team lacks a bit of leadership

I don’t think first 11 picks itself yet which shows we are a work in progress

we have to accept that wright and simms are bang average in this league but with potential to improve

the improvement is upto the players

covboy9

After spells in league one and league two

underdog in prem yes but need to be a big club in championship

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It’s not mentality we’ve lost. It’s a playing identity. We seemed to have reverted to pre-league two days when we bought whatever. We don’t seem to have a plan with the players we bought. With the exception of maybe van ewijk.

I’m not sure we play to anyone’s strengths currently

long way home

We have to show patience it will be frustrating at times. But i see enough to see things will change and we will turn positive stats turn into wins. I also dont think we have had the best luck in front of goal at either end of the pitch. So instead of the ball hitting the post and crossbar every week or ball not dropping in our favour in time it will all fall into place.

This league is tough we just have to keep plugging away and time. It will come and hopefully then be a long enough run that puts us in the mix at the top end of the table.

Last edited:

shmmeee

I do think there’s validity in the claim we’ve had the engine ripped out the team and not replaced. But then it’s a bit worrying that even post Jan well be one injury/suspension away from useless.

procdoc

The overreaction to a narrow 1-0 defeat is quite entertaining, more entertaining than watching us play at the moment anyway

Greggs

The overreaction to a narrow 1-0 defeat is quite entertaining, more entertaining than watching us play at the moment anyway
A narrow defeat we should have won 4-0......

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It’s not an overreaction is it though - it’s legitimate concerns about the team. We have nt looked great all season.

we’re close to the realms of “they’re the best team we’ve played this season” following a backs to the wall 1-0 against us.

we don’t have a midfield and we have a defence that crumbles regularly given that we’ve blown more leads than anyone else in the league. All this whilst the most expensive defender signing we’ve ever signed looks more and more questionable every game given he’s started once

skyblue025

I said at the start of the season we had improved the squad but weakened the team. As it stands the replacements haven't really stepped up as of yet. There's still time but it's frustrating waiting for it too click.
The non Saturday home games until mid Jan (currently) is also pissing people off.

Skybluedownunder

And replaced them with 10 shit ones

I think Latibeaudiere and Van Ewijk have been very good pick ups.
Sakamoto & Binks have shown good potential.
Da Silva has been ok.
Bobby Thomas and Ayari merh, neither here nor there.
Collins in the one game he played seemed a little shaky, to be honest seems a waste of money, if there wasn’t a true outstanding option this summer I feel we should have just kept Moore (which we have done anyways) and re-reviewed the situation next summer.
Wright seems a total waste of money.
Simms I thought would be a great pick up, had a good run with Sunderland and got at a reasonable price seeming as the rest of his fee is based on us going up, however I feel he might end up being like Walker and JCH.
Kitching too early to tell, perhaps we are just giving him time to recover from his injury.

I just don’t understand why most of our defensive targets were all playing at Barnsley last season who didn’t even go up. Could you imagine if we had picked up the other lad who went to Luton over us, would have been a clean sweep! Goalkeeper and three centre backs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread