Highfield Road Site Marker (1 Viewer)

TheSnoz

Where were all you loyal City fans this afternoon? The site marker on the old Highfield Road pitch was unveiled. Placed on the halfway line. There were no more than ten of us there in the pouring rain. & Joe Elliott was there, as he always is for anything to do with City. A very loyal Coventry man.
A few regret moving from the old ground, I'm one of them, and it was a little bit of City history going on, but the apathetic City public were once again absent. A great pity.

wingy

Where was it publiced Snoz ,never even had a sniff on this ,its only at the bottom of the street for me ,did you have a chat with him ?

TheSnoz

Wingy, SW88, had an email from the club a few days ago. Assume everyone on their database got it. Nothing much happened as the rain was so bad. But it would have been a good opportunity for fans to talk to Joe Elliott (& another chap there I didn't recognise - but I think was something to do with club). As it was Joe talked to the few fans there, very friendly and approachable.

CovisGod

I would have traveled across from Norfolk if I'd have known. Highfield Road is a huge part of my growing up and still miss it.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Just checked my inbox, and I got this email yesterday. Presume it's the same thing? Doesn't really tell us much though.

"On 16 June there will be an official unveiling of a new piece of artwork commemorating the historic and unforgettable former home of Coventry City Football Club, Highfield Road. The Herbert Art Gallery & Museum will be launching the work on the site of the football ground between 2.00pm and 4.00pm.

Entitled ‘The City’, it has been created by Warwickshire artist David Dewis in response to the incredible history of the site and the memories fans and local residents alike have of the ground. It will be situated in Signet Square, off Thackhall Street.

The event will see shootouts, matches and games on the green take place. The artist will also be available to answer questions about ‘The City’.

This event complements the From Highfield Road to Wembley Way exhibition at the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum. There are less than two weeks left to re-live the glory days when Coventry City Football Club won the FA Cup.

From Highfield Road to Wembley Way celebrates one of the greatest FA Cup finals of all time and looks at how a football team can unite a whole city. Within the exhibition are photos, films and memorabilia from both fans and players. The exhibition guides people through a brief history of the club, each game of the 1986-87 cup run, the memorable final and the return of the conquering heroes. We hope you’ve enjoyed the exhibition and events of From Highfield Road to Wembley Way.

Don't forget, there's still a chance to win a 2012/13 Coventry City FC Season Ticket. Just join our mailing list at www.theherbert.org/mailinglist

Many thanks,

Herbert Art Gallery & Museum"

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I knew nothing of this? I read the Telegraph on-line pretty much every day and didn't see anything. I would loved to have been there. Were there any pictures taken?

ajsccfc

It said it was between 2 and 4. I walked over not long after 2 and there were some people stood around with umbrellas and nothing else. Well done to the people waiting round and all, but you can't really blame people who didn't bother, much less question the loyalty of fans for not going to see a piece of artwork unveiled in a two-hour window that they could now go see at any time.

Skyblueloyal

Didnt know it was going on no mention of it on hear or offical site. I miss the old place think we should never have moved, this was the start of all ours troubles

To be honest i never check my emails and vowed never to gp there again. Last time i went there was only the main stand and legendary west terrace left. Might go and hve a butchers though

Johnnythespider

I suppose it's somewhere for the local ladies of the night to ply there trade, i can see it now, " it'll be an extra tenner if you want it on the half way line" :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread