How Healthy Are You ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Had to go to the hospital on Friday for an abdominal aortic aneurysm screening. As I'm 64 it's a free test so thought I may as well have it done. I was a bit nervous as I heard it is a serious test, as if there is any problem it shows up on the screen, and they advice you have an operation if they finds weakness etc. Anyway I was told all is fine, and for my age I'm doing well. Must be my job and all the exercise up and down ladders, or just lucky ? So for your age how do you feel ?

xcraigx

38 and in bad shape. I had a free heart rate / blood pressure measurement a few months back and the lady doing it said I should go to the hospital immediately. I have a very high stress lifestyle (although I was very relaxed that particular day) and my eating habits are shocking. I'm one of those stick thin people who can eat junk food 24/7 and never put any weight on.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
"How Healthy Are You?"
:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
:emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin:

bringbackrattles

"How Healthy Are You?"
:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:
:emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin::emoji_coffin:
As I was waiting to go in I thought about you Houch, as I know you've had heart problems ! I thought bet they'll keep me in !

bringbackrattles

38 and in bad shape. I had a free heart rate / blood pressure measurement a few months back and the lady doing it said I should go to the hospital immediately. I have a very high stress lifestyle (although I was very relaxed that particular day) and my eating habits are shocking. I'm one of those stick thin people who can eat junk food 24/7 and never put any weight on.
Did you go to hospital ?

xcraigx

Did you go to hospital ?

No, probably should have done really. I had just popped out on a lunch break so didn't have the option to ditch work and go and then one day becomes two and so on and so on... Strokes do run in the family so I really should at least cut down on the fat, salt and sugar. Maybe in the new year!

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’m 42 run 6 miles 3or 4 times a week
Walk the dog for at least an hour every day
Eat relatively healthy although I do drink too much coffee ( I think this is because I do a lot of night shifts)
I’ve lost almost 7 and a half stone over the last few years at my heaviest I was 24 stone. I’ve lost it gradually as in the past I lost a lot of weight in a very unhealthy way ( cabbage soup diet )and put abit back on again
I do get the odd back and knee ache but feel a lot healthier then I did in my twenties

NorthernWisdom

Funnily enough, just been whacked on a load of medciation for high blood pressure, and not much older than you.

First couple of doctors told me to go to casualty if I got a headache, and that I was at imminent risk of a stroke(!) Third one says I can carry on as I am for a decade, but best to sort it before it wears my heart out.

I prefer the last narrative!

clint van damme

exercise fairly regularly so am fairly fit.
Bit overweight, but diet gone to pot recently, need to sort it.
Don't drink as regularly as a lot of my mates but tend to binge when I do so could do with cutting that out.
Somehow not diabetic and blood pressure of a man half my age so happy with that.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
without doubt the best thing I ever did in life health wise is not smoke.
I honestly think it's one of the worse things you can do to your body. And I haven't exactly lived like a monk but I think not smoking has eally helped me.
Have to agree 100% Clint. I smoked from the age of 11. I only gave up a few years ago. I'm now 65 and it definitely contributed to my poor health and heart attacks. I don't feel that much better since giving up though, but I think I started way too young and it took its toll on my body. Drinking and scrapping haven't helped either! Must start thing about cutting down! I also have type 2 diabetes and riddled with arthritis and walk with a stick. Bugger life though, eh? I still enjoy myself!

Marty

I'm in good shape, slightly overweight but very active job (I do about 30,000 steps a day). Quite heavy lifting too. Any problems I do get tend to be sport injuries. Currently suffering with inflammation in my knee cartilage though, been having problems for about 3 months and doesn't seem to be getting any better.

fellatio_Martinez

I'm relatively healthy but it all goes to piss at the weekend.

I run 2-3 times a week but only 3 miles a time because any longer causes injuries I think. I love lifting heavy weights and it's something I recommend to anyone. You feel better and stronger in every aspect of your life and it also increases testosterone which naturally makes you feel better in yourself.

I find intermittent fasting keeps hunger at bay. I never eat breakfast anymore.

I eat and drink like an idiot on most weekends though. I can't mentally get past the feeling on a Friday that I need to feast.

bringbackrattles

I asked the two nurses who did my test if aneurysms are genetic etc,as my mum died aged 62 with a brain aneurysm ? They couldn't say, they said I can ask my doctor to see about me and my sister having tests to determine if we are prone to this ? Now that is scary !

matesx

Eat and drink what you like.

Enjoy what makes you happy

Your a long time dead.

....Don’t smoke though that shit’ll kill you

fellatio_Martinez

Eat and drink what you like.

Enjoy what makes you happy

Your a long time dead.

....Don’t smoke though that shit’ll kill you

I like that attitude but does it truly make you happy?

If I decide to laze about and eat some donuts I'll feel good for the time it takes to eat the donuts and then I feel a bit sick and crave more crap. If I went out for a run I'd come back feeling really good for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately our brains are setup for us to go on the path of least resistance and that's why a few donuts and a night of TV seems better than going for a run or going to the gym even though it's completely detrimental to our well being.

Humans haven't evolved to deal with all this food. We're still programmed to store all the calories we can, especially sugar which was very scarce throughout human history. So our reward systems are messed up and that's why most people are obese these days.

Nick

Administrator
Not as healthy as I'd like

Went through a phase when I could go to the gym 4 days a week and boxing twice a week and was getting much fitter.

Work and stuff at home changed so don't have the time now. :(

Dieted with no sugar for a few months and it worked but it became a struggle too, will get back on it soon and try and get some exercise on the go.

fellatio_Martinez

Dieted with no sugar for a few months and it worked but it became a struggle too, will get back on it soon and try and get some exercise on the go.

Was that zero sugar or just no coke and biscuits etc?

I pretty much have to live 90% of my life off sugary drinks or snacks because I find them highly addictive. If I ate a kit kat in the morning I'd wake up six hours later covered in chocolate after killing a hooker.

Nick

Administrator
Was that zero sugar or just no coke and biscuits etc?

I pretty much have to live 90% of my life off sugary drinks or snacks because I find them highly addictive. If I ate a kit kat in the morning I'd wake up six hours later covered in chocolate after killing a hooker.
Nah it was full on no carb / sugar and loads of full fat. Was hard to start off with but ended up having to force myself to eat as I was always full.

Now I'm starving all the time so need to get back on it.

Nick

Administrator
Surely this is not good for you in all sorts of other ways?!?
It did the trick, it was mainly lots of butter and meat and veg. Was surprising but did the job.

Just struggled with the routine and ordered a pizza one night and ruined it.

Nick

Administrator
There's a lot of myths surrounding fat.
Went low carb myself at the start of this year and felt great and lost weight but like Nick lost my way.
Yeah I felt much better as well. Stuck to it for about 3 months and then it got more of a struggle and we caved.

Might get back on it though. It is hard work though, especially if you forget lunch for work as you can't just go and get stuff from the shop.

fellatio_Martinez

There's a lot of myths surrounding fat.
Went low carb myself at the start of this year and felt great and lost weight but like Nick lost my way.

Yeah, the whole stigma against fat came from old badly researched data from America in the 50s which has since been completely disregarded as nonsense yet big food still run with it for cost reasons.

When your body runs on a high fat diet you become far healthier. Sugar is the real killer.

When I see "healthy" food labelled 0% fat that has 30g of sugar in it I feel an urge to smash things.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, the whole stigma against fat came from old badly researched data from America in the 50s which has since been completely disregarded as nonsense yet big food still run with it for cost reasons.

When your body runs on a high fat diet you become far healthier. Sugar is the real killer.

When I see "healthy" food labelled 0% fat that has 30g of sugar in it I feel an urge to smash things.

Yeah, noticed that when I started checking labels. So much of the low fat stuff is filled with crap.

After a week or so your body learns to run off fat rather than carbs, a bit cold turkey for a couple of days but after that I had days where I wasn't hungry and hadn't eaten.

fellatio_Martinez

Yeah, noticed that when I started checking labels. So much of the low fat stuff is filled with crap.

After a week or so your body learns to run off fat rather than carbs, a bit cold turkey for a couple of days but after that I had days where I wasn't hungry and hadn't eaten.

I did a similar diet a year or so ago and found my hunger had pretty much gone but like you said previously, it was hard to maintain if you were caught short and had to find food on a convenience level.

It ended up being a mental drain so I caved.

I've found my body reacts pretty well to carbs like bread and pasta if I'm active so I can't see myself going back to no carb.

Nick

Administrator
I did a similar diet a year or so ago and found my hunger had pretty much gone but like you said previously, it was hard to maintain if you were caught short and had to find food on a convenience level.

I've found my body reacts pretty well to carbs like bread and pasta if I'm active so I can't see myself going back to no carb.

I'm awful if we have bread, will end up eating loads of it.

If I had a chef I'd be fine, it's the hassle of preparing it. Once out of the routine it's hard with.

clint van damme

That's why I did low carb so I had them occasionally though bread was a no no.

It is a very difficult thing to give up though.

rob9872

I'm a fat git but had 5 year mot recently and surprisingly ok. Don't actually eat that much but eat crap and at the wrong times.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If there is a packet of biscuits n the house I can eat half of it in one go I eat late in the evening which isn't good and drink endless cups of tea from dawn to dusk. Sleep is terrible : Get up around 3-4am every night and just watch telly until I get tired again . Sometimes have to catch up in the afternoon. Walk a great deal, can run 5 miles at a push and cycle 20 miles 3 times a week. Never been above 11 stone which is fine for my height. I've no idea if I'm healthy or not but my insomnia for the last 20 years must have knocked a few years off my life expectancy.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My sleep pattern is all over the place and am convinced it’s my rota that’s causing it

For instance last week I was on a late Monday late Tuesday an early Wednesday and Thursday 6am start late Friday early Saturday now I’m on nights till Wednesday morning then back in for one night shift Thursday

When I’m on nights I go to bed about 9:45 10 am but am generally awake by 3
If I didn’t find my job as rewarding as I do I’d have jacked in during the summer as they put me on an 11 week run of nights either Thursday to Monday morning or Friday to Tuesday the money was good but it was a fucker to sleep in as it was so hot

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That's what I'd do too. A chocolate digestive would go down without touching the sides and if a cup of tea is present then dunkage increases the rate of consumption and it's game over.
I must admit I can't control this at all. At no time does my brain say "stop, you're full" I simply drink more tea and with it come a hundred weight of the sweet stuff. I'm not addicted and in fact don't go out of my way to buy them, but when I do , a packet of biscuits has gone within 24hours. As for tea, by 10am I'm usually on my third. It goes on and on.
Does the water in tea and coffee count towards your daily recommended intake of water, because if it doesn't I'm slightly in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread