How Long Should We Mourn ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

As the Queen has passed away it looks like it'll be awhile before normality resumes, whatever normal is these days.
I respect her and she did her royal duties for decades, so I admire her for that.
But she came from a generation that just got on with things, no fuss and bother etc, carry on as normal so to speak.
I went working today and the customers were fine, just like a normal day really. So my question is : Should everything come to a stop and be put on hold, or just carry on as per normal ?

Terry_dactyl

As the Queen has passed away it looks like it'll be awhile before normality resumes, whatever normal is these days.
I respect her and she did her royal duties for decades, so I admire her for that.
But she came from a generation that just got on with things, no fuss and bother etc, carry on as normal so to speak.
I went working today and the customers were fine, just like a normal day really. So my question is : Should everything come to a stop and be put on hold, or just carry on as per normal ?
I think you’ve answered your own question there.

duffer

Cov Rugby played their fixture at the Butts tonight. Now I'm not exactly a royalist, and I am very much a Cov Rugby fan, but that felt wrong to me.

I caught the end of the commentary (Cov won) and the PA was absolutely blasting out pop music! That was definitely wrong, imho.

I'm not for shutting down the country, and I think playing the sports fixtures tomorrow actually would have allowed people to get together and show their respects. But it does need to be done respectfully and with some regard for people's feelings.

bringbackrattles

Cov Rugby played their fixture at the Butts tonight. Now I'm not exactly a royalist, and I am very much a Cov Rugby fan, but that felt wrong to me.

I caught the end of the commentary (Cov won) and the PA was absolutely blasting out pop music! That was definitely wrong, imho.

I'm not for shutting down the country, and I think playing the sports fixtures tomorrow actually would have allowed people to get together and show their respects. But it does need to be done respectfully and with some regard for people's feelings.
Planet Rock radio station since the death have just been playing sombre and less heavy rock tracks, saying in respect etc. They said it's the least they can do. How long for is anybody's guess.

JAM See

I honestly haven't mourned at all.

It's been coming for a while (she even missed some of her own 70th Jubilee celebrations themselves).

She was a decent woman, who lived a decent life, and lived to 96.

I've moved on.

Sky Blue Pete

Yep bit sad makes me realise my older family members won’t be here for ever. No mourning for the queen just respect for her using her position for so much good
Back to normal today , funeral day spend some time thinking about others

Tommo1993

Head of state for 70 years and served her lifetime of duty very well - I certainly wouldn’t want that life. So I accept a very short postponement as opposed to just another minutes silence for such an exceptional figure. Should resume after this weekend though.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

I genuinely think people would be a lot more willing to accept a bit of down time if it wasn't for the pandemic taking two years of our lives so recently. I really think it's made this whole thing even more divisive.
May, Princess Diana's was more divisive than it's often portrayed - read the Mass Observation archive for evidence. This isn't any more divisive, there are just some people moaning about not being able to see a football match... which is an odd decision to cancel if we go by precedent.

Plus, this is a naturally many board anyway.

stay_up_skyblues

Planet Rock radio station since the death have just been playing sombre and less heavy rock tracks, saying in respect etc. They said it's the least they can do. How long for is anybody's guess.

Had Capital on briefly earlier in the car (for the kids - not me!) and they’d taken out the base and slowed down the otherwise upbeat pop songs. Quite bizarre🤣

bringbackrattles

Had Capital on briefly earlier in the car (for the kids - not me!) and they’d taken out the base and slowed down the otherwise upbeat pop songs. Quite bizarre🤣
It is an odd one. They're still at it on Planet Rock, all very sombre and mellow tracks. They were playing Bomber by Motorhead when the news came in, but since it's gone like a classical music station.

Users who are viewing this thread