How many clubs? (1 Viewer)

Greggs

In recent history which clubs have multiplied overnight their standard transfer spending by 10 times?
For example, Newcastle used to spend 30 odd million each year - but will now spend 300 which changed after an influx of cash.

Greggs

None have failed at it as bad as us
And considering most clubs multiply spends after a very rich new owner takes over, doing it on the back of a once in a lifetime windfall seems a bit daft. Like Michael Carroll the binman who won the lottery, he's skint now.
Also, the return on investment can't be very high at the moment. I imagine we planned on selling one or two of our 'new superstars' over the next couple of years to balance the books. I sense a financial mess in 3 years.

JamesCCFC

And considering most clubs multiply spends after a very rich new owner takes over, doing it on the back of a once in a lifetime windfall seems a bit daft. Like Michael Carroll the binman who won the lottery, he's skint now.
Also, the return on investment can't be very high at the moment. I imagine we planned on selling one or two of our 'new superstars' over the next couple of years to balance the books. I sense a financial mess in 3 years.

Someone on here said the Doug King chant was ‘legendary on the terraces’. Sadly he was right for all the wrong reasons

Greggs

Someone on here said the Doug King chant was ‘legendary on the terraces’. Sadly he was right for all the wrong reasons
Record transfer fees recieved - been spunked already
Record transfer fee spent - spunked.

skybluecam

Most clubs that get promoted to the prem?

e.g. Forest spent <£10m the season they got promoted, then over £100m in the prem.

Sheff Utd have spent ~£50m this season after spending <5 last year.

Better to spend it than have it moulding away in a bank account somewhere.

skybluecam

Where exactly do you see this problem coming from?

We took in £35m. We’ve spent £20m odd. So we’re still in the green on fees alone.

Wage bill will have increased yes, but it won’t be ridiculous. Even if we handed out an extra £50k a week that’s only £2.6m a year, (max contracts 4 years- so £10m total).

We sold around 5,000 more season tickets than last year and tickets are more expensive. That’s probably brought in a few million extra compared to last season.

It genuinely feels like you want to club to get into financial trouble.

Last edited:

Kilclines curly mullet

We took in £35m. We’ve spent £20m odd. So we’re still in the green on fees alone.

Wage bill will have increased yes, but it won’t be ridiculous. Even if we handed out an extra £50k a week that’s only £2.6m a year, (max contracts 4 years- so £10m total).

We sold around 5,000 more season tickets than last year and tickets are more expensive. That’s probably brought in a few million extra compared to last season.

Add an additional £2-£3 million for getting to the play off final

Also, whether people like the merchandise or not the club shop is always busy on match days and the tills are constantly ringing - it must be at least double if not triple the takings from the small shop that we had last year.

Greggs

e.g. Forest spent <£10m the season they got promoted, then over £100m in the prem.

We didn't get promoted you moron

Greggs

You're fucking clueless.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Seems a bit odd that you're arguing that we spend more money yet say someone who's arguing we've spent too much on single players who, as of yet, are not performing, wants the club to get into financial trouble.

Greggs

Seems a bit odd that you're arguing that we spend more money yet say someone who's arguing we've spent too much on single players who, as of yet, are not performing, wants the club to get into financial trouble.
The bloke is a constant contradiction. Admits the only teams that multiply their spending by 10 are the promoted teams with huge windfall of 200 million plus and parachute payments, but seems happy we've done it off the back of selling 2 players! It's dangerous. We've probably spent more than Luton.

Greggs

Would the reported 7 million we paid for Wright be better in the bank, I think so. How much is the 7 million we spent on Wright worth now? 3-4 million?
How about his 20 grand wages a week. We should have not paid so much and we'd have more in the bank to help us out in future.

skybluecam

I’m saying we’ve spent within our means, which is sensible.

Sitting on the cash wouldn’t benefit us at all.

skybluecam

Would the reported 7 million we paid for Wright be better in the bank, I think so. How much is the 7 million we spent on Wright worth now? 3-4 million?
How about his 20 grand wages a week. We should have not paid so much and we'd have more in the bank to help us out in future.
How much to spend and who on are two separate decisions. Maybe we have bought the wrong players, but the decision to reinvest heavily in the playing squad was the right one in my opinion.

Greggs

How much to spend and who on are two separate decisions. Maybe we have bought the wrong players, but the decision to reinvest heavily in the playing squad was the right one in my opinion.
Hahahahahahaha........Seriously? You'd rather have Wright than 7 million still in your pocket? If so, you've lost money on your investment mate, not the best.
We had one chance to spend that money and we fucked it up. Recruitment has been disgraceful.

Greggs

I’m saying we’ve spent within our means, which is sensible.

Sitting on the cash wouldn’t benefit us at all.
Where does the next 35 million come from? It was a one off! Fair enough spending like we have if we have hundreds of millions rolling in each year, spunking a one off windfall is just batshit crazy.

skybluecam

Hahahahahahaha........Seriously? You'd rather have Wright than 7 million still in your pocket? If so, you've lost money on your investment mate, not the best.
We had one chance to spend that money and we fucked it up. Recruitment has been disgraceful.
At this point I’m convinced you can’t read.

How much to spend and who on are two separate decisions.

Greggs

At this point I’m convinced you can’t read.

How much to spend and who on are two separate decisions.
If we'd signed superstars and they were all good investments I wouldn't be as disgusted. It's the fact we've spent so much on absolute garbage that is upsetting fans.

skybluecam

If we'd signed superstars and they were all good investments I wouldn't be as disgusted. It's the fact we've spent so much on absolute garbage that is upsetting fans.
Exactly, so your issue is not that we’ve spent money, it’s that we’ve spent it on the wrong players. Which points to problems in the scouting department, not financial decision making.

harvey098

I think you need to go take a bit of time away with your owl for a bit Greggs. It doesn’t seem like you’re in a particularly good place mentally recently. We’re all disappointed with the results this season and the recruitment but you’re unhealthily angry, go have a kitKat with Hedwig. It’ll get better. PUSB

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If the two players had cost £100k each I'd be asking why we've paid peanuts for two players who clearly aren't natural goalscorers, because so far they aren't.

Skybluedownunder

We also got to the playoff final which people on here mentioned we could have got about £2m from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Philosopher

Walker and Waghorn were apparently high earners so getting them off the wage bill alone would have been good for the playing budget.

Having 3 keepers on first team money (Wilson recently a new contract which we can safely guess is decent money) is obviously pretty poor financial behaviour.

To answer the OP:

Given the position that we were in at the start of the window, the good ST and merchandising sales, W&W off the payroll, security of stadium in place, and the subsequent £35m income, not many well run clubs would be in the situation that we are.

There is no squad depth in midfield and we have overpaid for Wright and IMO Kitching. Well run clubs with a decent plan would have signed a mixture of depth and youth in an attempt to unearth the next Hamers / Viks and even McCallums from non-league.

I genuinely think that many of us are shocked at the lack of common sense shown by King and Robins in signing Wright and overpaying for Kitching. I’m not just picking on those two, the whole transfer plan has been mad. I can’t see it being much down to Robins - he’s proved himself to be canny and calm. Methinks that people brought in to do certain things have got carried away and shown themselves to be “clueless” and MR isn’t the type to call people in such positions out.

Well run club? Shirt and sponsorship debacle was a sign of things. Someone needs to get a grip - fast.

David O'Day

Walker and Waghorn were apparently high earners so getting them off the wage bill alone would have been good for the playing budget.

Having 3 keepers on first team money (Wilson recently a new contract which we can safely guess is decent money) is obviously pretty poor financial behaviour.

To answer the OP:

Given the position that we were in at the start of the window, the good ST and merchandising sales, W&W off the payroll, security of stadium in place, and the subsequent £35m income, not many well run clubs would be in the situation that we are.

There is no squad depth in midfield and we have overpaid for Wright and IMO Kitching. Well run clubs with a decent plan would have signed a mixture of depth and youth in an attempt to unearth the next Hamers / Viks and even McCallums from non-league.

I genuinely think that many of us are shocked at the lack of common sense shown by King and Robins in signing Wright and overpaying for Kitching. I’m not just picking on those two, the whole transfer plan has been mad. I can’t see it being much down to Robins - he’s proved himself to be canny and calm. Methinks that people brought in to do certain things have got carried away and shown themselves to be “clueless” and MR isn’t the type to call people in such positions out.

Well run club? Shirt and sponsorship debacle was a sign of things. Someone needs to get a grip - fast.
oh well, we could of signed Hudlin

Sick Boy

To answer the OP:

Robins himself has said he’s the one responsible for the signings.

Users who are viewing this thread