How much would promotion cost? (1 Viewer)

Generally Midfield

On way back today got into talking about how we're in the mix for promotion but not looking great and whether a pretty small amount - in this league it definitely isn't about silly money - might especially given our injuries significantly increase chances of going up?

sylus

I wouldn't worry about promotion to much,we won't be going up ,not consistent enough.another season in the sh't league awaits us

RFC

On way back today got into talking about how we're in the mix for promotion but not looking great and whether a pretty small amount - in this league it definitely isn't about silly money - might especially given our injuries significantly increase chances of going up?

Great if the gamble works but don’t even remember the last time it paid off for the Sky Blues, which is why we are where we are today! You may not like it but it’s fact and truth. All this club has done over many, many years is repeatedly gamble and all it’s ever done is increase our debts to such a level that we were 11 hours 59 minutes from going bust 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!!

Legia Sky Blue

Sign John Akinde & I see us getting promoted. Yes he would cost a transfer fee, but his salary at Barnet is hardly likely to break the bank. It means speculating a little, but the bigger crowds we would get if we knock in a few more goals & challenge at the business end of the season would hopefully cover that extra expense. Of course this being the SISU era means signing a lower league striker from a struggling rival is most likely a pipedream.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Sign John Akinde & I see us getting promoted. Yes he would cost a transfer fee, but his salary at Barnet is hardly likely to break the bank. It means speculating a little, but the bigger crowds we would get if we knock in a few more goals & challenge at the business end of the season would hopefully cover that extra expense. Of course this being the SISU era means signing a lower league striker from a struggling rival is most likely a pipedream.

I was all for signing Akinde and Colllins in the summer, but Akinde has only played 9 games this season scoring 2 not sure what injuries/injuries he's had this season.

Captain Dart

Great if the gamble works but don’t even remember the last time it paid off for the Sky Blues, which is why we are where we are today! You may not like it but it’s fact and truth. All this club has done over many, many years is repeatedly gamble and all it’s ever done is increase our debts to such a level that we were 11 hours 59 minutes from going bust 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!!

Administration would have been so much better than a SISU takeover.

NorthernWisdom

Administration would have been so much better than a SISU takeover.
I'd tend to agree...

Didn't suit the internal administration we were effectively in however.

Can't be many clubs unlucky enough to have two successive owners who feel the best approach is to run everything down to stem losses, and hope for a miracle in getting their cash back... as opposed to just bailing.

shmmeee

I know a bloke down the Dog and Duck says he can get you promotion for £50, £75 if you want autos.

(£1m or so including wages?)

pusbccfc

Sign Carl Baker for free.

skybluetony176

Keep saying it but it’s so much more than money. Money could be enough to buy even the worst owners promotion but it’s the sum of all parts that count and SISU would never invest enough to overcome the negativity of their presence let alone buy a promotion. If we go up this year it will be thanks to sheer hard work by the playing staff and a slice of good luck. It will be in no way thanks to SISU and the negativity millstone they throw around the clubs neck.

If we don’t go up this season I envisage the pattern we’ve experienced for all their tenure will continue. Decline at an ever increasing velocity. They’re incapable of creating an environment that promotes success which is why we’ve only witnessed decline under them.

skybluetony176

Instead we went bust almost 5 years ago but shed little to zero debt. Which must be a record for any football club.

dongonzalos

Same conversation has been had in the championship.
Then in division 3, now in division 4.
SISU want the club to pay for itself. They don’t understand that whilst striving for this point, performance and of course then attendances drop.
This means the point you are striving for takes another step away from you and then you have to cut some more....

Last edited:

rupert_bear

Division one footballers command division one wages, our owners don’t want to pay division two players division two wages, there’s your answer.

Generally Midfield

Sorry, I maybe didn't explain properly but it's not talking about the kind of gambling with millions of £ under previous regimes just the kind of sum that for someone like Joy Seppala is probably loose change! It's going to be so frustrating if from being in the mix we miss out on promotion when a couple of players especially to replace key injuries might be all that's needed.

higgs

I'm not a business man but surely if you have already lost 60 million and you can see we need a goal scoring target man to get us out of this division at the first time of asking wouldn't it be worth gambling another 250 - 300k to get out of the division and make your asset worth more by being a league one team as opposed to league two team. Am I missing something? Makes sense to me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

Makes sense to me too... if they have the remotest interest in gaining promotion stump up say £500k to help get us out of this league and improve net value in their asset

rupert_bear

The prospect of our owners stumping up anything approaching £250k is fanciful at best, Robins has stated it has to be one out for one in during the window, didn’t we have to cancel Leah’s contract to get the Reading rookie in so getting the experience centre forward type we desperately need looks to me nil. We have the Stoke cup-tie approaching surely a percentage of the gate receipts from that game could fund 4 months wages for a decent loanee to help our cause.

Grendel

The prospect of our owners stumping up anything approaching £250k is fanciful at best, Robins has stated it has to be one out for one in during the window, didn’t we have to cancel Leah’s contract to get the Reading rookie in so getting the experience centre forward type we desperately need looks to me nil. We have the Stoke cup-tie approaching surely a percentage of the gate receipts from that game could fund 4 months wages for a decent loanee to help our cause.

If we cancelled a players contract we are obliged to pay out the contract so in answer to your question no.

The stoke game in all probability will gain little more than an average league game.

Grendel

In truth there’s no assurance that spend will result in success.

If we’d signed the current top scorer in the league we’d have groaned as his career to date had been mediocre.

stupot07

There isn't a big difference in money between L2 and L1, a lot would drive and on whether crowds would increase, but I guess somewhere between £500k-£1m, thats then counterbalanced by having to pay L1 wages. Only the premier league brings financial rewards, and that's only if you refrain from splashing too much cash, and keeping the wage bill in check. With the new TV deal in the prem, it won't take long for players wages to continue to spiral.

As for having a punt now, you probably wouldn't cover the money by promotion anyway, as not only would it be transfer fees, etc, you're likely gonna have to increase the wage bill, with not only imapcts on this season, but also next season as they get promotion bonuses and pay increases, and that's before you refresh the squad.

Warwickhunt

There is something wrong with MR tactically and until he changes his approach then we will always struggle for consistancy

ceetee

If we cancelled a players contract we are obliged to pay out the contract so in answer to your question no.

The stoke game in all probability will gain little more than an average league game.

It might even be less than that after Stoke have been paid their share, but I suspect the additional numbers will just about compensate. It certainly doesn't look like a bonanza
OK ST holders have to pay but I suspect the proportion of concession ST holders is larger than in the general demographic and it doesn't look like being much above 10,000 -12,000

higgs

If you are running a business surely success on the field should result in success off the field in terms of the value of your asset. Surely a league one position compared to a league two position should add more value back into the business?

Nick

Administrator

So we cancelled a rookie's contract who was never going to get anywhere near the first team to bring in somebody in a position needed who will probably slot straight in.

As for CCFC not paying League 2 wages, they clearly do as other managers have mentioned repeatedly.

Captain Dart

RoboCCFC90

Realistically if we were to spend money we would have the same chances of getting promoted as we would staying in L2 for another season.

Right now we need players who can;

- Create chances for others/themselves.
- Score goals

One previous poster aluded to Baker and I don’t think this would be a bad signing, take into account we’ve signed the lad from Reading as well who fits the bill, I would also look at Christian Doidge at Forest Green, 11 goals this season, top scorer in the National League last season, FGR are unlikely to stay up so would there be temptation from the player to move to a promotion chasing team?

Hypothetically how much would a player like Doidge cost? FGR have money and wouldn’t be willing to part with the player that is most likely to get them out of their troubles, £300K, £500K?

Users who are viewing this thread