How to be a good chairman (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Is it possible?

What do we realistically want from a chairman/owner

Nuskyblue

Pay Me Make It Rain GIF by Clevver

Skyblue_LDN

So far so good, a sugar daddy is a pipe dream and can go south very quickly. Being objective he appears to be investing primarily in the infrastructure of the club, be it the training facilities or non playing personnel. This appears to go hand in hand with; A. The upkeep of said facilities and B. activities surrounding commercial activities. We would all love a few big signings but in the long run, things like a commercial officer, retail managers, grounds staff, etc etc will benefit the club from its core.

to summarise, if we’ve signed no one and let Gus and Vik buy an apartment and stay in Portugal after preseason I will of course be calling for his head, but right now I’m pleased with what I see

Nuskyblue

Get good people in to run the gaff, keep your top assets tied down to contracts with 2 years or more so you don't get gang raped come sale time to maximise revenue from the football side of the business.

clint van damme

Take advantage of your home country becoming a kleptocracy.
Accumulate huge wealth by plundering its natural assets.
Spunk some of your fortune on a football club leading them to a period of unheard of success.
Slink into the background without a murmer when your mentor and enabler starts an illegal war.

Skyblue_LDN

Take advantage of your home country becoming a kleptocracy.
Accumulate huge wealth by plundering its natural assets.
Spunk some of your fortune on a football club leading them to a period of unheard of success.
Slink into the background without a murmer when your mentor and enabler starts an illegal war.
Cheslki?! 😂

ajsccfc

Your name must lend itself easily to a song. Forest fans are naturally wary of Evangelos Marinakis because of this

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is it possible?

What do we realistically want from a chairman/owner
Depends on who they are and how much dosh they have.

If we're talking about the current one, then I'm fine with a sensible, incremental plan to improve the squad and facilities as he's not loaded to the point of being able to just absorb losses.

But if he's going to set a target of play-offs in 3 out of 5 years and urge fans to 'Join the journey', which they have done with record st sales with pretty high price increases during a CoL crisis, then I also expect him to add a bit to the pot as a thank you for the backing. If we also sell Vik then I'd expect a decent amount spent on fees and wages this summer.

Basically, it's all down to what this squad looks like by the end of the transfer window. If, with the extra income and Vik transfer, were signing quite average players on frees then I think he's not performing his role adequately in giving the manager the resources needed to achieve the targets he has set.

bigfatronssba

Its hard to say what is a good chairman (as that is obviously linked to how much they can afford to invest). However its easy to say what isn't a bad chairman, and that is someone who doesn't use the club solely to benefit himself. The club is its own entity, and so all decisions CCFC make, must be for the benefit of CCFC.

This was the problem with Sisu and all the battles we've been in.

ACL were looking out for ACL
CCC were looking out for CCC
Higgs were looking out for Higgs
CCFC were looking out for Sisu

Hobo

Lots of people just look at what is on the pitch. But the whole club is important, training facilities, infrastructure, commercial side everything.

One reason I didn't want us to win at Wembley, we just aren't ready for the next promotion, that massive step up. Our forum has highlighted all sorts of in the background problems

We need stability and growth over say 5 years then make the step. (Easier said than done I know). I personally feel promotion this season would have been a disaster.

Grendel

Lots of people just look at what is on the pitch. But the whole club is important, training facilities, infrastructure, commercial side everything.

One reason I didn't want us to win at Wembley, we just aren't ready for the next promotion, that massive step up. Our forum has highlighted all sorts of in the background problems

We need stability and growth over say 5 years then make the step. (Easier said than done I know). I personally feel promotion would have been a disaster.

Nonsense you effectively get a £240 million hand out for 3 seasons - you can build infrastructure and do what you like with the money. Instead we have no money in a competitive league.

alexccfc99

We need stability and growth over say 5 years then make the step. (Easier said than done I know). I personally feel promotion this season would have been a disaster.
I get what your saying and I’m sure I’d have soon tired of getting spanked in the Premier League every week but you surely didn’t turn up to Wembley thinking ‘I hope we get beat here’ ?

Hobo

I get what your saying and I’m sure I’d have soon tired of getting spanked in the Premier League every week but you surely didn’t turn up to Wembley thinking ‘I hope we get beat here’ ?
Neither did I and I would have taken promotion. But I still don t think it would have been right for us as our infrastructure isn't right after years of neglect.

alexccfc99

Neither did I and I would have taken promotion. But I still don t think it would have been right for us as our infrastructure isn't right after years of neglect.
Yes but the money from simply participating in the Prem even if it was just for one season would have sorted the infrastructure out

You get the impression that Luton are happy to go up, battle bravely against relegation and take the money to get their new stadium built - I do believe we’d have done similar with a training ground

Hobo

Nonsense you effectively get a £240 million hand out for 3 seasons - you can build infrastructure and do what you like with the money. Instead we have no money in a competitive league.
That's why Wigan, Bolton, Cardiff, WBA, Reading, Watford, Leeds, Blackpool are all in good shape?

Let's see what happens with Leicester and Leeds?

You make it sound like a free handout, it is not. You have to spend money and creat debt then try and backfill if you don't stay up. Burnley needed their promotion desperately and let's see what the next few years bring?

Hobo

Yes but the money from simply participating in the Prem even if it was just for one season would have sorted the infrastructure out

You get the impression that Luton are happy to go up, battle bravely against relegation and take the money to get their new stadium built - I do believe we’d have done similar with a training ground
We are squabbling over Gyokeres 17m 20m 25 m that is nothing for a Prem player then all the extra wages. It really isn't the meal ticket people think, how many clubs get relegated showing a profit?

Luton looked more Prem ready as an 11 than we did.... Can't see them doing anything but struggle. But their home ground might unsettle a few big teams?

Hobo

Put it this way. Championship 20m for Gyokeres spent wisely can give us a good team.

Prem and 20 m for Gyokeres buys you nothing. Extra revenue, our infrastructure is not geared up for extra revenue or to make most of it.

Money isn't there we would have to loan it and create debt. In current market I just see it as a disastrous and unenjoyable foray into the big time.

Sport is about equal competition, so happier where we are.

fatso

I want someone with shit loads of money and zero common sense.
And a pathological desire to win the champions league.

alexccfc99

We are squabbling over Gyokeres 17m 20m 25 m that is nothing for a Prem player then all the extra wages. It really isn't the meal ticket people think, how many clubs get relegated showing a profit?

Luton looked more Prem ready as an 11 than we did.... Can't see them doing anything but struggle. But their home ground might unsettle a few big teams?
Luton will probs go down but I think they’ll make a fist of it, I actually think it’ll be Sheff United who will be the whipping boys not them

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Put it this way. Championship 20m for Gyokeres spent wisely can give us a good team.

Prem and 20 m for Gyokeres buys you nothing. Extra revenue, our infrastructure is not geared up for extra revenue or to make most of it.

Money isn't there we would have to loan it and create debt. In current market I just see it as a disastrous and unenjoyable foray into the big time.

Sport is about equal competition, so happier where we are.
Maybe our infrastructure isn't ready, but that infrastructure takes a lot of money to put in place. Money we don't have, so that infrastructure almost certainly still won't be in place this year, next year or in five years.

But do you what gives you loads of money to pay for that infrastructure? Promotion to the PL. And do you know what doesn't? Not getting promotion to the PL.

Users who are viewing this thread