HURRICANE IRMA (1 Viewer)

SIR ERNIE

Awful scenes of devastation in the Caribbean, now Irma is forecast to turn north and hit Florida.

Forecast is this will be the worst hurricane to ever hit the USA. It’s a monster the size of France. 5.5m people already on the move in Florida, many moving from Miami area to the Gulf Coast because the forecast was that would be the safe side. Now they’re having to evacuate there because the path has changed and the eye will hit Key West then SW Florida mainland Gulf Coast will take a direct hit.

Frightening stuff.

Otis

We are so lucky here and also lucky too in Coventry when it concerns natural disasters in the UK.

We seem to avoid the storms and the floods etc.

These storms in the US and Caribbean are horendous.

skybluegod

It's just so normal to people there though.
When I went to Florida, you see 90% of the new houses are built out of wood, so that when the hurricanes do come, it is cheaper and quicker to rebuild.

B-Ban-Boogie

Sitting here in Sarasota, FL it looks like i'm in line for a direct hit.
Its quite surreal at the moment as it's 78f outside and beautiful yet, in 24 hrs armageddon is about to be unleashed upon us!
We are pretty well prepared though. The house is boarded up.. we have ample supplies and are ready.

Gazolba

I have a friend who lives in Boynton Beach. They have a curfew from 3pm Saturday. No-one allowed out of their homes. No-one allowed to evacuate any more. Coastal regions had mandatory evacuations earlier. Fortunately building regulations have been hurricane proof for some time but who knows what will withstand a category 4 or 5 hurricane. It can lift cars up and carry them away.

chiefdave

Turns out last time there was a hurricane in Florida Trump got a £17m payout for damage to his gold course. Problem is nobody can find any evidence that there was any damage.

SIR ERNIE

Sitting here in Sarasota, FL it looks like i'm in line for a direct hit.
Its quite surreal at the moment as it's 78f outside and beautiful yet, in 24 hrs armageddon is about to be unleashed upon us!
We are pretty well prepared though. The house is boarded up.. we have ample supplies and are ready.

Keep safe mate. Looks like the storm surge will be the biggest threat. I've got many friends in the beautiful Naples/Marco area, where we boat and fish around the islands. Forecasts are that area will be hit hardest.

Gazolba

CNN news is. A must watch at the moment, reporters out in the open like rag dolls
I feel like they always try to make it look worse than it is though what with the water droplets on the camera lens and the reporter in a rain slicker even though no rain is falling on them.

Check out Weather.com, some great stuff on there. There's even tons of live Webcams in Florida.

Captain Dart

LOL

Gazolba

The Galveston (Texas) hurricane of 1900 claimed between 6,000 and 12,000 lives and remains the biggest natural disaster in US history.
Back in 1900, I'm sure meteorology was in it's infancy and building construction standards were woeful compared to today.

It's really short-sighted and stupid to build on low-lying land so close to the coast with known susceptibility to hurricanes.
In Florida, they have even built on the barrier islands, which is insane.

Users who are viewing this thread