"I want my brick back" (1 Viewer)

Otis

This has been covered on another thread and he is wrong, this IS the home of Coventry City Football Club. How long for, who knows, but we have a 4 year deal.

It's a crazy notion to have your brick removed 4 years in advance.

A non-story, but then you do have papers to sell don't you, Simon. :D

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
This has been covered on another thread and he is wrong, this IS the home of Coventry City Football Club. How long for, who knows, but we have a 4 year deal.

I disagree that it's a non-story. I think it's a talking point - and it seems to be drawing in a fair few readers this morning.

I understand his point. Fans were sold the bricks on the basis that they were helping to build the home of Coventry City. Some feel it's no longer the club's home.

For what it's worth, I have a brick - but I'm not sure worrying about it is anywhere near the top of my priority list at the moment. Although I understand why people are emotional / passionate about the issue.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Bit weird that Simon Gilbert has put a link on here from an old story he lifted from here in the first place?

Are you on a pay-per-click deal Simon?

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Bit weird that Simon Gilbert has put a link on here from an old story he lifted from here in the first place?

Are you on a pay-per-click deal Simon?

To be fair, we first got the email about this from Mike on November 17. I wrote the story on Nov 20. It's just taken us a while to get up because we were waiting for a pic from Mike.

covmark

Fancy taking a sbt thread and turning it into a newspaper article. There was another journalist who was accused of that..... Can't think of his name though.

skybluebeduff

As you can see Simon, some people here only come out of their arse shells to read 'non' stories' as they so kindly put it, like their opinions matter.... on a forum.... on the internet...
:facepalm:

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Fancy taking a sbt thread and turning it into a newspaper article. There was another journalist who was accused of that..... Can't think of his name though.

Hey, I'm not saying I've never got a steer on here! NorthernWisdom pointed me in the direction of something the other day and I acknowledged it. It would be a bit silly to ignore potential stories from any source wouldn't it?

jimmyhillsfanclub

As you can see Simon, some people here only come out of their arse shells to read 'non' stories' as they so kindly put it, like their opinions matter.... on a forum.... on the internet...
:facepalm:

He said.....cosying up to the reporter.....on a forum...on the internet.....:pointlaugh:

olderskyblue

I would ignore anything from me Simon..... ;)

jimmyhillsfanclub

To be fair, we first got the email about this from Mike on November 17. I wrote the story on Nov 20. It's just taken us a while to get up because we were waiting for a pic from Mike.

fair enough.....

...and to be honest, it seems a lot longer ago than 2 days that the thread was started on here.......must be cos my life seems to move at 100 miles an hour......

shy_tall_knight

I disagree that it's a non-story. I think it's a talking point - and it seems to be drawing in a fair few readers this morning.

I understand his point. Fans were sold the bricks on the basis that they were helping to build the home of Coventry City. Some feel it's no longer the club's home.

For what it's worth, I have a brick - but I'm not sure worrying about it is anywhere near the top of my priority list at the moment. Although I understand why people are emotional / passionate about the issue.

This is a big story which Higgs Council WASPS and even CCFC want to gloss over so much has happened but the bricks, the memorial garden, Jimmy Hill Statute, the seat licenses - are all things that connect that stadium with Coventry city fans, its not sharing with WASPS that's a problem its the loss of identity - a nomadic rugby club is not the same as a long established football club with massive links to the Cov & Warks area - no matter how CCC want to spin it.

NorthernWisdom

Hey, I'm not saying I've never got a steer on here! NorthernWisdom pointed me in the direction of something the other day and I acknowledged it. It would be a bit silly to ignore potential stories from any source wouldn't it?

Don't disagree. Although tbf that one I linked was a semi wind-up ;)

tbf a six days a week local newspaper needs some kind of stories in it, doesn't it... and more reassuring in a way if they're 'non-stories' than 'CLUB OUT OF BUSINESS!!' type!

And we haven't reached http://www.courier.co.uk/Whitstable-mum-custard-shortage/story-12006899-detail/story.html yet!

John_Silletts_Nose

He should have demanded his brick last season when CCFC left the Ricoh Arena and declared that they would not return.

CCFC have now returned and CCFC have the Ricoh Arena as their home ground, should they leave then he should demand his brick if this meets the terms and conditions originally set.

Maybe ACL can have a waiting list for people buying new bricks to replace those who want to remove their original bricks.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just out of interest who is expected to pay for the removal of any of the bricks? or for that matter their setting in any new stadium?

Not sure I want our brick removed as it stands. There is nowhere to move it to and the club "home" is at the Ricoh for the next four years at least. If there is to be a new stadium then if it isn't in Coventry or slap bang on the boundaries then I do not want it moved to a new site would rather have it back.

Right now I think I want it left there at the Ricoh as a permanent reminder to all and sundry of what should have been and of how we have been let down by the parties involved

Last edited:

shmmeee

Simon: Any chance with a story like this you can make clear who the parties responsible are.

Some on here blaming CCC, some blaming ACL, your article asked for comment from CCFC.

Who took the money for the bricks?

If it was ACL, was it taken before CCFC sold their share (in effect did CCFC sell the bricks too?).

Same with the Jimmy Hill statue and the other stuff.

Also, isn't the real story here the uncertainty created by the club refusing to clarify the club's future? I don't have a brick, but if I did my view would very much be that I want it to be where CCFC play. The guy seems to be assuming (not unreasonably) that it won't be at the Ricoh, but the club has a responsibility to clear things up or concerns like this will happen. An answer like the one given by the club is at best inadequate and at worst downright insulting to fans.

Sick of all this uncertainty and peril. Let's just get on with being a below average football team FFS.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Simon: Any chance with a story like this you can make clear who the parties responsible are.

Some on here blaming CCC, some blaming ACL, your article asked for comment from CCFC.

Who took the money for the bricks?

If it was ACL, was it taken before CCFC sold their share (in effect did CCFC sell the bricks too?).

Same with the Jimmy Hill statue and the other stuff.

Also, isn't the real story here the uncertainty created by the club refusing to clarify the club's future? I don't have a brick, but if I did my view would very much be that I want it to be where CCFC play. The guy seems to be assuming (not unreasonably) that it won't be at the Ricoh, but the club has a responsibility to clear things up or concerns like this will happen. An answer like the one given by the club is at best inadequate and at worst downright insulting to fans.

Sick of all this uncertainty and peril. Let's just get on with being a below average football team FFS.

I actually asked from comment from ACL/Wasps initially and was told the football club would be the most appropriate party to comment. Hearteningly there seemed to be a will not to fall out or put anything provocative out in response from all sides. It certainly would have been different in the past.

I believe the brick money (they're actually plaques apparently) was initially taken in by the football club, what happened to any profit, if there was any, thereafter - I'm unsure.

I'm told ACL have been paying for the maintenance of the bricks since their installation. Not a cheap process is my understanding.

The Jimmy Hill statue was paid for by private donations. There was no profit from this. Ownership is a tricky question. I'd suggest Joe Elliott is bet placed to have a say on this as he led on the fund-raising (just to declare an interest, something I did the PR for at the time).

ccfcway

Talk that if you want your brick back, you need to write to Appleton and he will look for it, but it might take him a while to find it.

Evo1883

Technically it is no longer our home , he also has the right to get his brick back if he wants it , pretty much sums it up

edgy

If I had a brick, I'd chisel the fucker out and lob it through the council house windows.

skybluelee

It's not unreasonable to expect the club to explain what they plan to do with the bricks given they've made it perfectly clear they are building their own stadium (ha! etc).

My family paid a fortune for ours and frankly I don't want them attached to an egg chasing stadium (unless SISU can confirm they are actively seeking a rental deal to keep us at the Ricoh for longer than 4 years).

Covstu

So if the fans own these bricks, have CCC/Alan Higgs just sold part of the fans property?

DazzleTommyDazzle

I actually asked from comment from ACL/Wasps initially and was told the football club would be the most appropriate party to comment. Hearteningly there seemed to be a will not to fall out or put anything provocative out in response from all sides. It certainly would have been different in the past.

That sounds a little more encouraging.

If all parties could concentrate on behaving like sensible adults, there might just be a chance that some workable solution might be rescued from the jaws of disaster.

italiahorse

The Ricoh is our home.:facepalm:

Just like since it was built we continue to rent it off ACL.
The only thing that has changed is the ownership of ACL and we now share it would another team on different days.
When you go next week it will look the same and feel the same.

CCFC were never going to own it, surely you know that?
Wasps Hedge fund or Sisu Hedge fund ?
You take your pick ?

From what I can see the bricks are not full bricks, they are about an inch thick (25mm) and if I chiseled them out they would break.

Users who are viewing this thread