I wonder where they all went (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

'My car was so small my date sat on the floor'

One of my earliest memories at HR was seeing these parked alongside the pitch, yet I don't remember ever seeing one on the road. I never ever saw one hit during a game either. Did the driver stay in the car and watch the game or was there an area in the stands for them?

The Great Eastern

The driver rarely left the 'car'. As best as I can remember, the seats swivelled to one side so the driver had better access to the vehicle which, in turn, allowed the driver to face the pitch with the door open.
Never saw one completely topple over but it was close when one entered the forecourt of (what was) the Texaco garage next to the Bulls Head on Binley Road. I think the young driver knew what he was doing and pushed it to the limit.
Think they were powered by a small two stroke engine.

skybluetony176

Built by the same company that brought us the AC Cobra believe it or not. Hardly any left either as the government scrapped almost everyone at end of life.

ovduk78

Built by the same company that brought us the AC Cobra believe it or not. Hardly any left either as the government scrapped almost everyone at end of life.
Were they all the same colour? I used to think it was great that all those at HR were the same colour that we played in

Calista

Pretty sure these were a common sight on the roads back in the 60's. At home games there were always quite a number parked around the pitch, and the colour was uncannily like our kit in those days. They just felt like a natural part of the scene at Highfield Road, and I think I imagined as a kid that they were somehow provided by the club. It's never really occurred to me until now that the colour was coincidental - were they to be seen in the same splendid sky blue at every ground around the country?

NortonSkyBlue

My uncle was disabled and had this vehicle, we all know what they were called back then, and drove from London (4hours each way)to all of our home games and parked by the stand each week. He would sit on the seats provided in front of the wall by the slope and loved it. When they leveled the pitch and took away the pitch side seating he stopped coming.
I suppose the move to "normal" customized cars for the disabled was a positive step for integration but I suppose it is just nostalgic of me that I thought they were the essence of integration back then. We could all share the same air supporting our team. No doubt it's better today.

Users who are viewing this thread