If anyone fancies next years Isle of Wight Festival......... (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
was a regular at Bestival for years never been to Isle of Wight festival.
It's a lovely part of the world you're in HH. Used to enjoy my annual trip down there but getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Been in the news the last few days that Bestival is moving to Dorset. :( Rob da Bank claims it's the killer cost of the ferries - transporting all the equipment and Bestival goers paying out an extra £100+ on top of tickets to come over. The last few years have made big financial losses apparently.

wingy

Been in the news the last few days that Bestival is moving to Dorset. :( Rob da Bank claims it's the killer cost of the ferries - transporting all the equipment and Bestival goers paying out an extra £100+ on top of tickets to come over. The last few years have made big financial losses apparently.
What does it cost on a normal week to make that crossing HH?

clint van damme

That's a shame, nice location. That will hurt the islands economy as well.
The sister festival Camp Bestival s already in Dorset, Lulworth Cove, another nice part of the world.

Houchens Head

What does it cost on a normal week to make that crossing HH?
When I came across a couple of weeks ago (off peak) Friday - Friday, it cost £96 and that was with island resident discount! That's just a family car. If the vehicle is more than 5m in length, then costs rise dramatically. Car and caravan can cost literally £££hundreds! It's cheaper to go abroad. Thousands of locals are petitioning for a "fixed link" - a Solent Tunnel - but it's getting the idea past red tape.

Last edited:

wingy

When I came across a couple of weeks ago (off peak) Friday - Friday, it cost £96 and that was with island resident discount! That's just a family car. If the vehicle is more than 2m in length, then costs rise dramatically. Car and caravan can cost literally £££hundreds! It's cheaper to go abroad. Thousands of locals are petitioning for a "fixed link" - a Solent Tunnel - but it's getting the idea past red tape.
Just sounds ridiculously expensive for a short trip Houch
Sounds like they need some competition or govt investment /subsidy.
Seems lacking on an economic /infrastructure basis.
I don't think costs fluctuate either.
There shouldn't be differentials for peak/off peak etc.

Houchens Head

£96?!! I thought it was only a 4 mile crossing!
Just as an example, go to the following link and put in sample details for a trip over. (Obviously, don't click on "pay now"!). I think you'll be mortified at the costs I and thousands of others have to fork out for a 4 mile crossing!
http://www.wightlink.co.uk/iow/
(I just done a random date selection: Sat 8th Apr 2017 - Sat 15th Apr 2017. Small car, 2 people. {Portsmouth to Fishbourne return). Wait for it.....................
£132.25!!
And that's before you even START your holiday. No wonder the Isle of Wight is dying on its feet!

Users who are viewing this thread