If ever something demonstrates..... (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

The council's attitude to business, here it is:

Cllr Lynnette Kelly: “If Friargate takes off then the business rates to the council will be going up by £11m a year. That alone is reason for doing this.”

mark82

Not sure what's wrong with that. £11 million in extra revenue. She is not saying they will put up rates to existing businesses just that a new project will generate £11 million extra income for them.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Not being a Coventry resident myself, I know bugger all about the proposed development....so I just googled it....

...That is some bland back-dated shitty architecture they're proposing.

Terrible.

Jim

Not sure what's wrong with that. £11 million in extra revenue. She is not saying they will put up rates to existing businesses just that a new project will generate £11 million extra income for them.

And therefore be able to provide more services.....

bigfatronssba

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The council's attitude to business, here it is:

I think she said:

"This is the biggest decision the council has had to take in a generation,” Coun Kelly said.

AND....

“I think it’s bigger than building the Ricoh Arena and comparable to the rebuilding of the city centre after World War Two.”

BEFORE ADDING....

“It’s a rationalisation of the council’s property holdings from 27 down to nine. It will enable a more rational way of working and will be cheaper to run."

THEN....

“We know that the council going in there has made other people very interested. We have someone else very interested in coming in with us."

BEFORE....

“It will be a real coup for the city if we get their headquarters here and they are seriously interested"

AND THEN FINALLY....

“If Friargate takes off then the business rates to the council will be going up by £11m a year. That alone is reason for doing this.”

Not as front-middle-and-centre as your quote insinuated. Still, why permit facts or context get in the way of a touch of aimless and myopic council bashing, eh? And they say people attack Fisher without thinking first :facepalm:

wingy

And therefore be able to provide more services.....
Hopefully lowering the burden on us . Having said that the City centre is dying on its feet due to rates that outweigh out of town retail parks,Like the Tesco/Ricoh site generating £1M. and more still if ACL ever profits @ more than £3.75M. Maybe the CCC could profit to that exrent if someone ran it to the max ,or would they lose that extra £1M. Lagbi money if it ended up in Private hands . would that be a motivation to keep ACLas an entity,Ireckon so.

Astute

Maybe they should leave things as they are or make more cuts unless everyone wants to pay more council tax to pay for the services they provide.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Maybe they should leave things as they are or make more cuts unless everyone wants to pay more council tax to pay for the services they provide.

That's a grand idea, as right now, that area of the city is as 'reet-as-sixpunce'. Why invest? I'm with you :p

fernandopartridge

I think she said:

"This is the biggest decision the council has had to take in a generation,” Coun Kelly said.

AND....

“I think it’s bigger than building the Ricoh Arena and comparable to the rebuilding of the city centre after World War Two.”

BEFORE ADDING....

“It’s a rationalisation of the council’s property holdings from 27 down to nine. It will enable a more rational way of working and will be cheaper to run."

THEN....

“We know that the council going in there has made other people very interested. We have someone else very interested in coming in with us."

BEFORE....

“It will be a real coup for the city if we get their headquarters here and they are seriously interested"

AND THEN FINALLY....

“If Friargate takes off then the business rates to the council will be going up by £11m a year. That alone is reason for doing this.”

Not as front-middle-and-centre as your quote insinuated. Still, why permit facts or context get in the way of a touch of aimless and myopic council bashing, eh? And they say people attack Fisher without thinking first :facepalm:

'That alone' are the key words you've decided to ignore, old chap.

Astute

They invest to create an infrastructure to attract business and jobs and that's not adding value to the City's proposition?

What do you expect them to do? Sell Cov baths?

Or sell the Ricoh for 6m to SISU or whatever they are calling themselves this month like some people seem to want :(

Mary_Mungo_Midge

'That alone' are the key words you've decided to ignore, old chap.

Well, that's because I viewed the statement in a slightly different way. What she's saying is that if after all the benefits and soft issues listed above; there's an over-riding financial compulsion to proceed. Not that the latter was the primary focus.

It would appear you're deliberately misreading quite a constructive narrative to suit the politic if your naughty intent

fernandopartridge

Well, that's because I viewed the statement in a slightly different way. What she's saying is that if after all the benefits and soft issues listed above; there's an over-riding financial compulsion to proceed. Not that the latter was the primary focus.

It would appear you're deliberately misreading quite a constructive narrative to suit the politic if your naughty intent

As if I would. Still, 15 replies isn't bad.

Users who are viewing this thread