If Scotland go independent...... (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

Does this mean:
We don't have to endure Scottish football results
Weather forecasts can stop at the border
We don't have to mess around with changing the clocks
Scots as foreigners, not part of the EU, will now have to apply for work visas to work in England

Just asking?

SlowerThanPlatt

If there's a groundswell of support, and they don't change the way imports and exports work between Scotland and the rest of the UK, I see no problem.

Philosorapter

Currently residing in Scotland. I think import and exports are going to be the key. Looks like they will lose the pound, be out of eurozone etc. I can see Scotland turning into a Gibraltar and flooding everywhere else with cheap cigarettes and booze.

dutchman

An independent Scotland can use any currency it chooses to make legal tender*, including the Euro and the British Pound. What it can't do is print them, which is a different matter altogether.

*Contrary to popular belief, Scottish bank notes are not currently legal tender, not even in Scotland.

Brighton Sky Blue

Currently residing in Scotland. I think import and exports are going to be the key. Looks like they will lose the pound, be out of eurozone etc. I can see Scotland turning into a Gibraltar and flooding everywhere else with cheap cigarettes and booze.

It's a funny old place. The number of times I've asked for juice and been handed a can of Irn Bru has me wondering how on Earth they aren't all in hospital.

Colin1883

Is the true definition of independence... Economic independence? ... If so, how can Scotland be truely independent if their economy is tied to sterling?

dutchman

Is the true definition of independence... Economic independence? ... If so, how can Scotland be truely independent if their economy is tied to sterling?

Most of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK so it would make no economic sense to choose a currency which isn't tied to sterling. The Irish already made that mistake in 1979.

Sterling itself is tied to a so-called "basket" of foreign currencies which is adjusted periodically in line with the volume of international trade.

Covstu

A lot of people up there simply do not want it, even though they hate the English they know they are very well supported. The UK does not need this split!

Brighton Sky Blue

A lot of people up there simply do not want it, even though they hate the English they know they are very well supported. The UK does not need this split!

Think it'll be very close actually. It's astounding how many people still believe Alex Salmond even when he has been proven to be a liar on so many occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread