If The Worst Was To Happen...Relegation (1 Viewer)

Speedies_Chips

We will stay up and be facing Pompey or that lot from the NE next season!
Yep, Sunderland currently looking good for promotion I reckon. Would look forward to playing them in front of a large crowd at The Ricoh. Be gutting if they got promoted and we went down though.

Sick Boy

Well, if we do get relegated, let's see who the bookies agree with.

Pretty sure that (along with all the relegated teams) they were among the favourites to go up, with good reason. Clearly it's no guarantee, but why pretend we wouldn't have one of the better teams at that level?
Relegation would be a disaster financially for the club. It’d impact the playing side and we’d be left with the deadwood and league 2 levels players who are still hanging on.

SAJ

Why are we always so pessimistic? If we win on Saturday there will be posts suggesting we can make the play offs. We need roughly 15 points from 12 matches, it may be less than that. To me the focus we should be looking at is how are we going to improve our squad next season. You have to believe you are good enough until it is proven your not and we are mikes from that at the moment.
Some of our fans want to thrive on doom and gloom. We had one target this season to finish 21st or above. We are on target to achieve that.

cc84cov

Looking at the run in you’ve got to think if we don’t get stay up we deserve to go down,my worry is the manager seems to have now set us up to go direct playing off errors & second balls...against teams around us it’s time to get fucking cracking starting Saturday it’s time for staff and players to ramp it up

robbiekeane

I know relegation is not good for any club but for is it would truly be a death sentence.

We need to hang on my the skin of our teeth. With no stadium, no funds from crowds this year, and the fact we would lose the couple of players that we have that are actually half capable at this level, it would be catastrophic.

We need to stay up. If we stay up, we would have got more in revenue in 2 years than we would have in 6 years in league one.

robbiethemole

So, are our issues down to being naive, or because our players don't have the strength, mentally or physically to compete for 90 mins in this League, or they're just not good enough at this level? I'd like to believe it's the first and if we stay up, next season we'll be more"streetwise" and we'll probably have different players to slag off.

SBT

Relegation would be a disaster financially for the club. It’d impact the playing side and we’d be left with the deadwood and league 2 levels players who are still hanging on.

You mean the same deadwood and L2-level players who won L1 at a canter not even 12 months ago? I'm not saying we go down into L1 as the finished article, but the goldfish memory on here is ridiculous.

If your doomsday scenarios are correct and we end up left with a front three of Shipley, Godden and someone on Zain Westbrooke's level, then guess what? That's the same front three that took apart Wycombe last December. We're far more likely to compete than tumble down the leagues. Not sure what's controversial about that.

Grendel

Well, if we do get relegated, let's see who the bookies agree with.

Pretty sure that (along with all the relegated teams) they were among the favourites to go up, with good reason. Clearly it's no guarantee, but why pretend we wouldn't have one of the better teams at that level?

im sure the bookies had Sunderland and Ipswich as favourites when they went down

Grendel

You mean the same deadwood and L2-level players who won L1 at a canter not even 12 months ago? I'm not saying we go down into L1 as the finished article, but the goldfish memory on here is ridiculous.

If your doomsday scenarios are correct and we end up left with a front three of Shipley, Godden and someone on Zain Westbrooke's level, then guess what? That's the same front three that took apart Wycombe last December. We're far more likely to compete than tumble down the leagues. Not sure what's controversial about that.

It’s not the same L2 deadwood is it - we spent £750 on Godden we managed to secure Dabo and two championship players in Mcfazdean and Allen - we had Walsh and O Hare who were vital contributors to the season along with Kelly whose now in his 30’s

Hobo

McFadz needs to go we are getting an Indian summer out of him. He will turn 35 next season.

SBT

im sure the bookies had Sunderland and Ipswich as favourites when they went down

It’s not the same L2 deadwood is it - we spent £750 on Godden we managed to secure Dabo and two championship players in Mcfazdean and Allen - we had Walsh and O Hare who were vital contributors to the season along with Kelly whose now in his 30’s

This is....precisely my point?

I'm not saying we'd be a slam dunk to bounce straight back (bookies are sometimes wrong, if you can imagine that). But the "deadwood" squad we would take down with us would almost certainly be considered a cut above most teams in that league. And if it was possible to tweak a comparable squad to turn it into a title-winner one year ago, why would you assume the same players are now doomed?

JulianDarbyFTW

The only key players really missing from the L1 season would be Walsh and McCallum (O'Hare was a sub more often than not) and Westbrooke (subjective, but he did play a large chunk of games). You'd like to think we'd be attractive to the better players / free agents at that level, and we've shown that we're a great place to have players sent to on loan. I actually think we'd make a really good fist of going up again at first time of asking, only to drop out of the playoff spots on the final day of the season.

cov donkey kick

It's not the end of the world if we go down, if it happens it will at that moment. Think this club our club will always fight back I really believe that pusb

Users who are viewing this thread