If Wasps publicly declared they wanted to buy CCFC (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

How are they buying it?

What's the plan for a stadium/rental deal on offer?

What will the debt level of the club be?

What experience does the board have in football?

What's the plan on the pitch?

You know, the same questions we'd ask of any owner.

Why the hell would Wasps want to buy us? Why would anyone want to buy us, but especially Wasps?

rondog1973

How are you defining competence? Do you mean the economically driven move from their historic home?

It very much remains to be seen whether they will be judged competent. There is a long long way to go for Wasps, the signs seem good but we don't know enough about them to judge them as competent.
In this instance they have demonstrated competence by successfully negotiating and obtaining a modern sports stadium. Sorry, but football and rugby fans are a different breed and whereas some objected to the move, not all did. A calculated gamble that looks to have paid off.

CCFC's USP is a football club representing the city of Coventry. Wasps don't have this which I think facilitated their move.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

As long as our incomings weren't siphoned off to the rugby team then yes - don't see an issue if we keep our stadium takings they keep theirs and we split outside of sports 50/50

Same with the football money.

peeler

In this instance they have demonstrated competence by successfully negotiating and obtaining a modern sports stadium. Sorry, but football and rugby fans are a different breed and whereas some objected to the move, not all did. A calculated gamble that looks to have paid off.

CCFC's USP is a football club representing the city of Coventry. Wasps don't have this which I think facilitated their move.

Very True

Wasps are a brand, they don't represent a community, having said that they rely on the community for support but that's a different thing.

They've moved multiple times over the years.

Sky Blue Dal

If we keep the name and the shirt colour and detail a clear vision for the club, then reluctantly yes. It may be swapping 1 immoral hege fund for another but at least one is currently putting an effort into matchday experience.

and make damn sure they keep the Ricoh seats sky blue as it was intended to be when it was built.

peeler

So Wasps, now based in Coventry, obtain the local football club and decide to move them elsewhere to make more money.

Is that what you are suggesting?

Although I disagree with the posters comments, I think he was referring the the Wasps move, nothing to do with CCFC being moved.

I don't think he worded it very well.

peeler

and make damn sure they keep the Ricoh seats sky blue as it was intended to be when it was built.

Wasps own the stadium, why wouldn't they want their own colours eventually.
There are two reason why the keep them sky blue 1/ So as not to antagonise 2/ Because it would cost them a small fortune to change them

skybluetony176

As long as revenue was shared equally at the Ricoh why not. So long as we're not treated as the poor delinquent brother why would anyone who supports the team not the regime care?

Liquid Gold

So Wasps, now based in Coventry, obtain the local football club and decide to move them elsewhere to make more money.

Is that what you are suggesting?

I'm suggesting there is a possibility of it. They have previous in doing so and you're well aware of it.

Get off this wind up, I'm not biting anymore

Liquid Gold

To a stadium that has a 240+ year lease on. If they do plan to move teams again it ain't going to be for a long long time and frankly it's scaremongering nonsense to suggest otherwise.

There is recent evidence of stadiums in London being basically given away. Would that not be tempting to owners who's only motivation is profit?

shelby76

Fucking hell this is a comedy! Ok lads get in the shower pass the soap around when they have done with you! Getting desperate now, if the team was riding high i would be confident it would happen.

Captain Dart

Erm.. are you taking the piss? Because they moved the club they own now away from where it should be

What you don't seem to understand is that the landscape of rugby & football are very different.

There are professional football clubs everywhere, the territory is very crowded, there are not many gaps in coverage and the FL has rules to prevent franchise operations which were introduced after MK franchised Wimbledon (and BTW I will love it if MK falls below AFC).

Rugby has many fewer professional clubs, considerable geographic gaps and is organised on a UK basis (England/Scotland/Wales are not different associations).
Professional rugby is also relatively new it has only been going 20 odd years, so its hardly surprising that it hasn't fully settled yet.
For those reasons there isn't the same level of opposition in rugby against franchising.. yet.. and the rugby authorities don't object, so it happens.

rondog1973

I'm suggesting there is a possibility of it. They have previous in doing so and you're well aware of it.

Get off this wind up, I'm not biting anymore
It's not a wind up!

It's a different circumstance and you know it.

Why would Wasps move a Coventry based team from Coventry when they own both stadium and club?

Esoterica

With all our stay away fans who will come flocking back as soon as SISU leave, it won't matter what colour the seats are as they'll all have bums on!

peeler

Only because of the name change....

A history lesson for Nick.

When they were formed in 1866 they were called Wasps, they only changed their name to London Wasps in 1999 and then back again to just Wasps in 2014.

So they have only been London Wasps for 15 years of their 150+ year existence. The reason they changed it to London Wasps was to differentiate between Wasps FC an amateur side.

Bizarrely, most of the time they were called London Wasps was when they were playing in High Wycombe, which last time I looked isn't in London.

The Reverend Skyblue

Good god, we have had seven years with hedge fund owners that has seen us slip from higher Championship to the bottom of league one, chaos on and off the pitch, loss of everything we own, and yet some supporters are willing to get into bed with different hedge fund owners.
Sorry to swear but that's fucking maddening and breathtakingly stupid.
It wouldn't just be Wasps anyway, it would be Wasps with the council behind them telling them what to do. That's just what we want isn't it.

Nick

Administrator
A history lesson for Nick.

When they were formed in 1866 they were called Wasps, they only changed their name to London Wasps in 1999 and then back again to just Wasps in 2014.

So they have only been London Wasps for 15 years of their 150+ year existence. The reason they changed it to London Wasps was to differentiate between Wasps FC an amateur side.

Bizarrely, most of the time they were called London Wasps was when they were playing in High Wycombe, which last time I looked isn't in London.

So they didn't change their name just before they moved here?

It is simple, just change our name!

peeler

So they didn't change their name just before they moved here?

It is simple, just change our name!

They did indeed, but they changed it back to their original name which prior to 1999 was just Wasps RFC.

fernandopartridge

Genuinely interested what London stadiums have been given away recently

The Olympic stadium in context has been given away. £701m of public money spent. West Ham will pay £2.5m for 99 years (£247.5m + £15m).

Compared to the Ricoh, £10m from the council and £9.5m from the Regional Development Agency (ERDF + AWM match funding). ACL paid £21m for the lease which basically repaid these costs.

shy_tall_knight

The Olympic stadium in context has been given away. £701m of public money spent. West Ham will pay £2.5m for 99 years (£247.5m + £15m).

Compared to the Ricoh, £10m from the council and £9.5m from the Regional Development Agency (ERDF + AWM match funding). ACL paid £21m for the lease which basically repaid these costs.

Wouldn't call £250m - a give away and way outside WASPs reach

Nick

Administrator
The Premiership club were invited in as partners by the landowners, Legal & General, and the local Hertsmere Borough Council, with a 15,000-seater stadium worth £22 million and a hotel on site for added revenue. But Wasps wanted to own and control it. End of deal.

Maybe we can move down there?

skybluetony176

Even then I don't think that they've been given it. Pretty sure it's not so dissimilar from our original Ricoh deal. I.e. they have use of the bowl during the season, office's and shop on site. Anything else going on is nothing to do with them IIRC. Although they do get a share of the naming rights as West Hams presence is recognized as an added benefit to that deal for which they are rewarded.

stupot07

They aren't paying £250m up front, they're paying £2.5m pa, which is pretty much the same as the level of interest wasps are paying per annum on the bonds.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread