Ifollow (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

When this was mentioned in the summer, I thought it was a great idea for fans who live abroad and would never get to see a game. However, reading comments on here it is obviously available to anyone that wants it, maybe even free on Facebook? My question would be: is streaming like this going to have a detrimental effect on live games? Yesterday we attended the game at Newport. The tickets cost £40, petrol probably about the same. It took us four hours to get there due to traffic problems, we got home about 7:30, so most of the day was devoted to football. We both were soaked to the skin and missed the kick off due to late surge of away fans turning up and inefficient entrance procedures. The question would be: if everyone who attended could stay at home, avoid the hassle and watch the game for a fraction of the cost, how many would do so? I love going to games. The experience is completely different to watching on telly so I would probably still go. How many others would do the same? Some would no doubt but if attendances start to drop and games were played in a soulless, atmosphereless stadium (yes I know the Ricoh can be like that anyway) how will that affect the enjoyment of watching at home or on the TV? Should it be an overseas option only? My answer would be overseas only.

Nick

Administrator
I'd take going to the game over watching on iFollow any day of the week. For games I physically can't go to then iFollow is there as a decent substitute and a god send for those abroad.

I wouldn't give up my season ticket to watch them all at home.

Irish Sky Blue

What about those who travel away. Easy option would be to stay at home and watch on Ifollow. Some might choose this for home games too.

Astute

You can't compare watching a game at home to being at the game. If it is a televised game that I can't get to I have to find a pub that has it on. And that isn't always easy.

BackRoomRummermill

Its a match day experience , if you go to the game especially away and we score then no amount of TV coverage would replicate the experience. I don’t think that we would ever get to situation of empty grounds and millions watching . It’s the same with most sports , I have to say the only points for me are live at the arena Boxing is amazing , live Golf is better on TV for me. I went to Ryder cup in 2014 and a bit dissapointed but that could be down to who I followed .

Irish Sky Blue

There will be 380 Premier League games this season, 168 are live on TV. Premier League grounds don't seem to be empty.
That’s not really like for like. Sky or BT don’t screen live every Premier team’s games. We are also talking about teams at the other end of the league scale. I could have saved a lot of time, effort and money if I had watched the game on Ifollow. Now, as mentioned, I would still go. However, I couldn’t blame someone who felt they could turn on their TV at 2:59 and watch the same game I did without the hassle, without getting wet and with the added bonus of going to the toilet at half time. If enough people choose pay per view, won’t the game and the clubs suffer?

Nick

Administrator
I think the majority of actual iFollow subscribers will be people who wouldn't be going to the games anyway, there might be a small percentage who wouldn't.

It is going down that road of everything being streamed, even with social media now if we score a goal a fan has it uploaded within a few minutes and then the highlights are out about an hour after kickoff so you aren't waiting for math of the day.

Most football fans would prefer to be there in person I think, although there has been games I've come home thinking I wish I had stayed in the warm to watch it but then still went back the next game!

RegTheDonk

I don't think it will make much difference for the reasons already stated. Those that do go are committed enough to still go. Those that don't go now will simply watch it on the net, rather than listening to it on CWR/Sky Blues Player.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think it is the potential saving of clubs I have said before that I would pay the ticket price to watch the away games so the clubs are gaining as I am not able to travel as often as I would like finishing work at 4am on a Saturday morning makes it a tough drive I went to morecombe and was falling asleep on the way back, I watch it but I find it quite a hard watch and nothing like being at the game.

stevefloyd

On the other hand just think of how many people cannot attend games or dont want to attend games but still interested in watching their team play, how much extra revenue has it made for clubs rather than relying on attendances, I can see it as only win win for these clubs, I will always attend if and when I want to but I loved it when I was away in Thailand and I could still see all you fuckers freezing while I sat in 30 degrees drinking a nice cool one :)

Users who are viewing this thread